My Personal Weight Loss Journey

Ah more than one lesson learned Hun well done in regaining focus it's like you say it's finding your path now to maintenance x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Thanks Mel,

I think i've found my path, but I can't take it yet - I'm still on my weight loss journey, not at maintenance quite yet.

To continue with the analogy, found it - the gate's locked, so i've gone back on the weight loss path a bit until i'm ready to find it again.

In my brain, the weight loss path is actually much nicer and brighter than the maintenance path - once you get through that gate to maintainance, it's all dark and spooky - there's the constant traps to try and get you to divert from the route and one leads all the way back to the start of the weight loss journey. That's the scariest one!

(I think somehow this diet has increased my ability to have a very overactive imagination!!)

xx

it really is a case of walking the line and it is hard every single diet has people who put the weight back on. the girl who eats too many treats/too much is only ever below the surface and its a case of being ever wary. i think realism is the way forward accept this and watch out for when the treats get out of hand and pull right back i think 3/4 lbs give is ok but you should pull back then ( when at the maintance stage). i want to enjoy life and not have my ability to control food ripped out of my hands, it is so easy to let it become half a st then a st and so on. you are doing so well and i think because your dealing with this stage now it can only be helpful for the future. after the wedding you ve already got some coping mechanisms in place which can help to get right back on track for life.

when i stepped up i gained 3lbs but it did come off and yours will too, we must not slack off when the going gets hard. it is so much eaiser to stay true when you re seeing the weight come off but its another level of determination to keep going when despite your best efforts you re being shafted by the scales. i have every faith in you personally, i think the tools for success are in your arsenal now. i ve said to you before we won t be the perfect slimmer 100% but as long as we do enough that the books balance out its all going to be fine
jxx

Thanks so much Jen - it is tough and I don't think i fully understood just how hard it would be in my ketosis haze. I'm by no means out of the woods yet, but I am feeling good about today.

Went for a long brisk walk at lunchtime - 45 minutes - and am feeling great now - if a little windswept!

xx

Morning my lovelies.

So, yesterday was a really good day. Dinner at my parents house consisted of a jacket potato, slice of lean ham, cheesy egg (this seems like quite an odd thing to most, but it's one of my favourites - basically boiled egg in a cheese sauce. I didn't have much of the sauce, it was just the egg really,) lettuce, cucumber and tomato with one spoon of homemade coleslaw (I know my parents only buy full fat mayo, so I didn't want much of this.) I MFP'd it when I got home and I was about 470cals, so not too bad. I watched my dad fill up his plate and realise just how much of an influence he is on my food habits. I used to eat just like him (and he is not a small man...)

So anyway, all good - hair trial for the wedding was a success, flowergirl/pageboy tried on their outfits and they fitted/offered enough room for them to grow a bit in the next couple of months.

Third run of the week tonight - going from work again and hoping not to get as lost/end up on someone's driveway like before!

xx

Just catching up,

Pleased you had a great day yesterday and your dong fab with the running :)

It is so very very hard to move up the steps. I always say losing it is by far the easy bit, once we are in Ketosis it's all in the mind but moving back up is certainly the struggle, I don't know anyone who's breezed through it so you certainly are not alone, the great thing is your sticking with it, a few bumps in the road are fine.

Keep up the good work, we are all here cheering you on and duper happy for you on the running front.

Massive pat on the back Hun !

Here's to a fab weekend :)

Thanks Kat! Hope you have a fab weekend too. I'll try and get a sneaky pic of the wedding dress at the weekend. Not sure what it's going to look like - last time I tried it was September and she ordered me the size smaller than I was then to allow for some weight loss. If going on normal dress sizes, I am now 2 lower than that, so it'll be interesting to see. Dress shop also too measurements from me, so I might see if I can have a sneak peak of those too (since CDC didn't take any) and hopefully give me a bit of a boost.

In other news, I have spent the last couple of days reading back on my own log. If you have a lengthy one, like mine, then do it. Ketosis me had lots of wise things to say, and it's interesting reading back on things to find the same struggles from leaving SS properly to now. According to todays scales (which are still showing above 12st incidentally!!) I'm where I was in November. It's nice to see how excited I was when I first got to the weight I am now - a very different feeling to how I feel about it now! Hopefully, i'm going back down - first week of step 3, only 2 days properly on plan with it, TOTM looming - one can only hope for the best on a Saturday WI!

xx

enjoy the wedding dress fitting sure there will be quite a diff to the measurements.those losses are coming but sometimes they do appear to get lost in the post. have a fab weekend
jxx

Ooooh Flick the Dress trying will be interesting.

I had to buy a new dress around 3 months prior to mine as they couldn't take mine in enough :)
I love the dress I ended up with though. I just hadn't been confident enough to buy a much much smaller one than the one I started, my original dress had been a 24 and I'm not sure what mine ended up at as the new dress was a 14 and still had to be adjusted several times.

You will have such a great feeling seeing the difference in the measurements.

Enjoy your weekend and let us know how you get on x x x

Morning lovelies,

A mixed weekend really.
Firstly, CDC appt on Saturday morning. I came away feeling really disheartened. So, I mentioned about my running thing and she was really dismissive about it sort of like that was way too easy and I should be doing more (I had to firmly tell her how inactive I am and how this is a big deal for me.) Then WI and I was up 1lb from last week (I was quite pleased considering I had been higher in the week,which I told CDC and she seemed even less impressed.) Anyway, we resolved that this week I would stick to the 1000 plan but with no carbs with my evening meal, with the hope that I will be lower next week. She was ok afterwards and supportive - looking at the recent losses/gains and planning ahead for next week when hopefully my chart will show a loss again. I just felt she wasn't overly supportive this week, and was a bit annoyed. The running thing is massive for me, but as I said - she was quite dismissive about it. OH told me to ignore her!

Then I went off to try my dress on - the ladies in the shop were so lovely and congratulatory about my losses - they reckon the dress is about 4 sizes too big now! It'll be fine to take in and I have my fitting on 25th April. 25th April now becomes my target to work towards in terms of my losses and toning up - that's 2 1/2 months. May will then be trying to maintain. I have a final fitting about a week before the wedding I think...exciting exciting stuff.

Sunday, I went for my first week two run (a much harder run - I was seriously puffed by the end of it!) and then spent the day pottering around in the kitchen (bad move) and delivering more invites with OH.

Food wise, I was not very good. Though both days started positively, I am much more prone to cheating and enjoying meals with OH...TOTM's arrival this morning hasn't helped - yesterday I could have eaten everything...and I did. Logging on MFP, Sat was 2,000 and Sun was about 2,500. NOT GOOD. I really need to get a handle on this. I'm not entirely blaming TOTM, but I think that had some influence...

Anyway, in order not to end up disheartened at the end of another week, I am sticking with CDC's plan of no evening carbs...till Thursday. I am going to be 100% on plan up until Thursday night and then OH is taking me out for dinner as a valentine's treat. I'm going to enjoy the meal out, but only if I stick with the plan for the next couple of days. Friday is recovery day and being good day and hopefully by Saturday, the scales are my friends again.

Massive long post! Hope you all had better weekends than I did...

xx

Try not to feel disheartened Flic. Look back at where you came from and where you want to go. CDC was wrong to be dismissive. I've never been good at exercise and I think couch to 5 i is a HUGE achievement. Something I'd love to try myself when I move up to a higher step.
Keep going, you've got this

Hi flic Just read your post , don't get disheartened too much. Adjustment takes time and it's the best way of working with it for you. You have timed everything well with your wedding (no rush and time to stabilise /maintain ) which is much better than the majority of people who ss it all the way up to their event ....and then wonder why it all piles on so quick. Running wise .... You will be surprised how quickly you get to long runs! The key thing with running I think is stamina ,once you get it ....you will find running enjoyable and easy. I had the best run at the weekend ,which was really the first one I felt good doing(4 weeks) Well done on your overall loss !

Flick,

Your CDC should support and motivate you, such s Shane as there are some fantastic ones out there ( over the years I've tried 4 and their support has varied between each one so please don't take any notice of her ) I think your doing flipping fab with the running, the whole principle of the C to 5k is the fact it's for total beginners so the correct way for you to start off rather than injure yourself or put yourself off by doing to much to soon ! Your Fiancé is right to tell you to ignore her.

As for your dress . . . . . .
WOW ! ! Great that it's already needing so much change to the size and great that the dress shop were encouraging as they must get so many B2B saying they are on a " diet " and then give up, they must have heard it a million times but not many go back like yourself so much smaller so hats off to you.

Try not to concentrate on the weekend but focus on how amazing you have done ! Your dress alone is testament to that.

Here's to a fab week for us all x x x

Thanks you fab bunch - I love you guys!

I feel like i'm being a bit petulant - "CDC was mean to me, so I ate all the food in chrisendom" - but it did really upset me about her attitude. I know she needs to be firm on things like gains but it makes me not want to go back. It's only because of my own progress and that i'm not ready to quit that i'll still be going to see her. Her children are all really sporty, and because i've got dogs and live in the countryside, I think she just expected me to be sporty and always outside like her family. In winter - I do hardly anything because it's dark when I leave in the morning, and dark when I get home (and the no streetlights thing makes it much harder!) I know that towards the end of our session, she was being more supportive, but I already felt like crap about what she said at the start. I always focus on the negatives more than the positives and it just really annoyed me...time to move on from it now though - i'm so glad I've got you guys and others who are supportive about it all!

xx

Hey,

Well done on the running. You will find it easier and easier so just stick with it. As for your consultant, how on earth can she be negative about running!! Running is a great form of exercise. Ignore her!! Someone posted a thread on here a few weeks back being really negative about running and saying it was bad for you, bad for your knees etc. Surely being overweight is worse than being a healthy weight and running!. It took all self control I had not to reply. People who are negative to exercise are either jealous or plain lazy.

Good luck with your new plan xx

Thanks Liz,

I've never been a runner - ever - but am really enjoying the program so far. I'd just like to get to a point where I can go off for half an hour/hour and go running a couple of times a week and just keep my fitness levels up...what's really satisfying is getting to the end of a run and being able to tick it as complete!

xx

flic do not listen to your cambridge woman on this. i have nothing but respect,you are starting out on your fittness programme, listen to your body and take it at your pace. we all start some where and look how for you ve come. i must admit to being quite angry on your behalf. you know your body and it albilty trust yourself. the programme that your following has been set up for folk that as in your exact postion that haven t excercised and it works. i ve seen a number of people do it very successfully and you will to. once you ve uped your fittness level then you will work out what you want to add. is this woman a fittness instructor?

p.s liz not sure if it was me your refering to as i did mention knee joints in regards to running but that is my personal belief and otherwise i was pretty 'complimentary to running in terms of its toning and other benefits. so in no way did i say it was a bad excercise just one i prefer not to do on a concrete surface. everybody finds their own path
jx

Hi Jen,

No it wasn't you at all, it was a random thread from someone not on Cambridge who was completely negative about running in every sense. Basically saying it was bad and there were no benefits and giving advise to people not to even try it!! x

Thanks Jen - I think everyone is different and like you say, finds their own path. I'm so glad of the support here (and with my colleagues too) because it's making me motivated to continue.

Yesterday I was 100% ON PLAN (well, on plan without afternoon carbs.) I had additional salad with dinner and a little more milk than perhaps I should have, but I was still under 1000cals, so happy. One day down and two more to go until OH and I go out Thursday night, then straight back on plan Friday before WI on Sat, then NO weekend off the wagon behaviour this week - I need to start getting this gain shifted.

The more on plan days I do, the more I feel positive about sticking with it. Went for a wee walk at lunch yesterday too instead of sitting at my desk the whole time - I think the more I do stuff, the more motivated I feel. Though I have my run tonight, I might pop out for a little walk anyway - I feel like I need to avoid supermarkets at the moment as I was beginning to get tempted by things again.

Yesterday I read someone's post about working weekly to get rid of the weekend gain will never get the additional weight shifted and I realised this is what I had started to do - using the weekends to enjoy off plan meals does not work when you've still got bigger losses to get rid of. My problem is that i'd begun a half maintenance, half diet kind of thing, and i'm just not there yet. Trying to stick to the diet was making me cheat, and trying maintenance, not properly with restrictions in place was making me cheat too.

So, moving forward this week, I am 100% on plan, except for one meal out with OH. I will enjoy it as it's our valentine's treat, and stick with the plan for the rest, including Saturday and Sunday!! It'll be interesting to see if no evening carbs is going to help this week - I might stick with that for next week too. I was watching a food program with Tom Kerridge at the weekend who has lost over 9st. He's cut out booze and carbs and was saying that though he's cut the carbs, he hasn't compromised on flavour - I love his style of cooking and hope he elaborates more on the no carb thing with a program or some recipes.

Planning ahead, I need to stick with step 3 until the end of Feb I think, and then look into the possibility of step 4 for March. I've always said i'd move up the steps, but i'm sort of thinking that if I can find my own rhythm with step 4, I might just stick with that. I don't really like the idea of having lots of carbs again, so I might limit this to something at breakfast, and something at dinnertime with none for lunch. I genuinely feel that this has been a great way of showing just what you need and don't need food wise...

So - proper maintenance plan is thus:
- Healthy eating in the week, with limited carbs. Using whole varieties when possible (brown rice/pasta etc)
- 2 treats per week - a meal/a single item. One treat and then cut back again.
- a bit more freedom at weekends, but not going crazy. One meal in each day is a treat - all three meals is gluttony!
- Continue running program, and then aim to run 2/3 times a week
- Use my bike more - aim for once a week, but try at least once a month.
- Start a morning/evening routine of stretches/toning exercises - I need to start doing this! Things like planks/sit ups etc. Something which takes 20 minutes in the evening that I can do every day.

I am forward planning majorly, but just want to put down what my actual plan for maintaining is. I want to lead a healthy lifestyle once my CWP journey is over, but I need to get there first! My problem is trying to do maintenance and the plan all at once, and failing at both!

Sorry for the epic post! What are your plans for maintaining after CWP?

xx

I'm maintaining right now as you well know seeing from MFP and I too was thinking about doing no carbs HOWEVER I will generally not be able to consume the calories I need to consume without some carb intake.
I'm not eating a WHOLE load of carbs however I do have wholegrain bread with my soup and at dinner time I have rice/potatoes/pasta with my protein.
Luckily for me it hasn't caused any extra gain or bloating or anything and i'm still kinda losing which is weird.
I just stick within my calorie intake and walk as much as I can every day, usually around 3+ miles..

You'll find out what works for you & what your body likes however I wouldn't restrict carbs forever as it may effect your metabolism and the way your body reacts to food groups later on in the future? Just minimal amounts here and there won't hurt too much.

xoxo

Back