My SW journey

Ratatouille tonight - the film, not the food ;) and I have nectarines as my film snacks.

Tried fajitas again tonight with a portion of spicy rice - much happier with the spice mix this time. Will note it down here in case I forget- 1 red onion, 3 peppers (one each of red, green and yellow), 2 mashed roasted cloves of garlic, 1 1/2tsp smoked paprika, 1/4 tsp normal paprika, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp hot chilli powder 1/4 tsp cumin, 1tsp sweetener and some salt and pepper. Turned out really well. I used a WW wrap as my hex B and some hex A cheddar to go with it. Salad and rice on the side so packed with speed foods as the rice also had pepper and tomatoes in. Left me feeling full but not overly so, however I kind of forgot lunch (I had an apple as I was peckish at 11.30 and realises at about 3pm that I'd missed lunch!) so was starving by the time I had cooked it, although I had eaten some fruit to help me not stuff my self silly at dinner.

Have loads of the veg left as its just me so will be able to have more tomorrow with some salad in a wrap for lunch I think.

Having a little success with something I have been missing has really helped me to feel more positive about the whole weight loss thing again. Need to try making them for OH and see what he thinks but I think they will be put in our meal plans when I'm back home as he misses fajitas too.

Came home from work early as I think I have some kind of bug - have been up lots in the night and felt rubbish this morning but went in anyway as there was nobody else, luckily managed to find cover so I could go home. Don't really want to eat much today as feeling rather nauseous although the actual being ill seems to have stopped. Still swinging between feeling hot and cold and a bit shaky. Am supposed to weigh in today and am actually seriously considering going but not staying to group as I do feel a bit better after having a snooze on the sofa- however if it is a bug I don't want to spread it around too much. If I don't weigh in today I won't be able to until next week as I can't get to any of the other groups in the area this week, either due to lack of transport (my car is due in for servicing and MOT tomorrow) or lack of time due to work. However I feel like if I'm not at work I also shouldn't be out at SW either - strangely the compulsion to go and WI even though I feel rubbish is kind of comforting, its shown me that I am actually more committed to my weight loss this time than I ever have been before cos previously I would just fallen off the wagon as I wasn't well and then never climb back on. I need to go get some bland foods as I have no apples, bananas or rice at the moment, so I need to go out anyway later and group is very close to a shop so I could do both at the same time.

A bit conflicted but if I don't lose weight next week after eating next to nothing so far today I'm not going to be happy!!

Hope you feel better soon. try and get as much rest as you can. I tend to go and get weighed and leave when not feeling great as 2 weeks feels like such a long time to not get weighed. maybe see how you feel later.

take it easy x x

Thanks Jenny. 2 weeks does seem like a very long time to stay on plan without checking my progress.

Had another nap and am feeling a bit better. Starting to feel peckish now so thinking about going to the shop to get something, apple always seems to be my go to food after being ill anyway which is handy as they are free! Its not my usual time but there is a group with the same consultant at about 3ish I think so might pop into an earlier group to get weighed then come back for yet another nap as I'm still feeling really tired.

Weigh in week 6 = -2.5lbs bringing total weight loss to 1st 3.5lb

Went and weighed in and am pleased with my 2.5lb on the scales today, however I feel that some of that will be having not eaten so far today, normally I weigh in after work so have had 2 meals and snacks during the day and if I weigh myself on the scales at home I know I can weigh about 1-1.5lbs different depending on the time of day.

So with that in mind I want to at least maintain next week although obviously more off would be good, so I will aim for 1lb but won't be upset with less.

Also brought apples while I was out so have nibbled on one and feel ok, less shaky too now I have finally eaten something. Ready for another nap now though!

Week 7 target - 1lb

Last night was a bit of a disaster.

My email, facebook and amazon accounts have been hacked (well my email, I think then passwords changed for other stuff from there). Luckily nothing taken but now feeling quite stressed. triggered a bit of stress eating and I stuffed in a kinder beueno stick I had left over from my sweet treat earlier in the day, 2 pears and a nectarine while I tried to sort it all out. Had called OH for a bit of support when I discovered it so called him back later in the evening too for a bit of support to stop me eating my way through all the high syn stuff I have been resisting so far. Thankfully it worked and I managed to scrape in last night at 14.5 syns.

Now feeling a bit twitchy and paranoid and didn't sleep much last night which never helps. Already craving chocolate and sweets :(

Whats so annoying is up till that point yesterday had been going really well. Good food choices, car had cost less than expected and had been into town to look at little bits to send my friend who has recently had a baby (I'm afraid I don't really do kids and she is the first of my friends to have a baby so have no clue what to send and it needs to be reasonably easily postable as she lives a 6 hr drive away - any help there would be welcome too!)

Killed off the chocolate craving yesterday with a mint HiFi bar. By the time i got round to sorting breakfast its was the type that wasn't going to go away and , if left to its own devices, would have lead to half a pack of Jaffa cakes, a bowl of ice cream and however many bars of chocolate I could stuff down without being sick. Had breakfast but it was still there. Thought giving in and having a single HiFi bar (nibbled on in bits over about 90mins) was the best of my options.

Spicy wedges, sausage and tomatoes again last night. However after the HiFi bar, latte (both unplanned), synable sausages and the mayo with lunch having my normal Friday crunchie would have pushed me just over my syns for the day and I knew yesterday I wouldn't have the self control to only eat half. So I skipped it. I'm working today though so planning on having my crunchie tonight instead to celebrate the end of my working week.

Got a good nights sleep last night so feeling more in control today. My will power even when I'm struggling has been quite good and I've not binged (or at least not on lots of synable stuff) or ordered the dominos that calls to me when I'm stressed (what is the garlic pizza bread contains that just makes life seem better again?!?) so actually feeling quite proud of myself. Need to prep for a horrible day at work today, the diary was looking pretty horrific when I left last night and it only ever gets worse on a Saturday morning. Its my turn to grab the nibbles this week so shall be grabbing fruit for everyone to snack on today - I used to take sweets and cake but they will all just have to be healthy today!

Have just had a sudden realisation - I only have 12.5lbs left till the local riding school (the one I like anyway) will let me start having lessons again!

Determined to be back on horseback before the end of the year :D won't be able to afford to have regular lessons but I could do the odd hack when I have some spare cash. Technically there are stables in the area that will let me on their horses now but I'm not too keen on the way they do things in recent years so prefer not to go there.

Hitting the 12st mark will be celebrated with a riding lesson (followed by painkillers and the inability to move the following day!) It will also be roughly half way to target so more reason to have a non food related treat.

Last edited:
Someone baked chocolate cake to share at work yesterday - it smelt so good! I will admit to having a sniff of the tin but didn't eat any.

Yummy dinner last night, cheese omelette with salad and chips as I had a single potato to use up before of went manky.

Wasn't as bad a day as expected, in fact it was quite good fun. It was a great group of people working so we had a good giggle at points which always helps and all went for a nice walk at lunch time.

Planning on heading home today and doing the dogs walk to a nice village pub with my OH and our own dog. We won't eat but will have a drink before walking home

Was too tired yesterday to drive home, wonder if the bug earlier in the week has taken more out of me than expected. So I snoozed on the sofa most of the morning and OH came to me for a walk instead.

Tired always means I struggle with food choices but I managed to stay within my syns. Boring food choices as I had no energy to make something exciting - basic tomato sauce for pasta, pizza wrap and fruit and yoghurt. Hifi bars and cheddars made up my syns for the day.

Still tired and looked back at my food diary and actually I have been having a few too many meals that are a bit light on speed foods for my liking. Lots of something in toast for breakfast rather than fruit and yogurt. Hoping that WI tomorrow isn't a total disaster, I've kept within my syns but have been using more of them than in previous weeks.

Its too late to change things now so will just keep my fingers crossed that I have done enough this week not to gain.

Weigh in week 7- +1.5lbs bringing total weight loss to 1st 2lbs.

A bit disappointed with the gain but not unexpected as I havent been as strict and structured as previous weeks.

Week 8 goal is 1.5lbs to get back to where I was last week.

After thinking about last nights weigh in and feeling pretty down about it for a bit, I didn't once think about quitting which is new and different for me! I have decided I am actually more determined to get back on plan properly. Its been hard this morning as part of me is thinking 'oh sod it' I've put weight on, you knew you were going to put on weight on holiday so just eat what you want now as you will put it all back on again soon' but I want to go on holiday weighing less than 13st - infact my holiday aim was to come back not weighing more than 13st so the more I can lose this week the less worried I will be on holiday.

I managed to convince myself last week that as I wasn't over my syns I was on plan, but I wasn't following the 1/3 speed food or the eat until satisfied thing as well as I should. I am also going to be kind to myself and keep in mind that the new meds I started on Thursday also have weight gain (due to water retention I think) listed as a side effect and I was warned it was possible when they were prescribed.

So my action plan for the coming week:
Go back to meal planning
At least 1/3 speed foods with each meal
Snacks need to be speed first - stop reaching for free yogurts to snack on
Go back to writing everything in my food diary BEFORE I eat it, not after
Go back to drinking more water and carrying my water bottle everywhere
Plan some veggie friendly SP stuff for when we get back from holiday to help shed any extra pounds gained while we are away

Last edited:
Breakfast: Strawberries and Activia 0% fat/no added sugar
Lunch: 40g light cheddar (Hex A) & mixed lettuce leaves with 2 tbsp tesco healthy living french dressing (1syn)
Dinner: 2x Linda McCartney vegatarian sausages (1 syn), HM spicy rice with peppers, mixed salad leaves, tomato, carrot and cucumber
Snacks: Watermelon & Hifi Light bar (3 syns)

Planned evening snack of 16 whole almonds (hex B)

Total syns: 5
So far I am on 2.5l of water for today. I won't drink a huge amount more now before bed otherwise I am up in the night.

Feel full but not stuffed although fuller than I would normally be at home possibly. Realised the plates at my house sit are bigger than the ones at home so think I might need to bring my own plate with me if I go anywhere from now on! Still beating myself up a little bit for my gain yesterday but back on it now and determined to lose this week.

A better day speed food and water intake wise yesterday.

I had to pop into town to pick up a few bits so I grabbed some dandelion tablets from holland and barrett and will try to talk to my dr today about using them as I feel really bloated and the trousers that have been fitting me with plenty of space to spare over the last month are now starting to fit properly again - I know I gained a little bit but not that much! I am hoping that increasing my water will help but at least I have something in reserve while I'm away if needed. Also something else I found quite interesting while reading various bits on the internet is that potassium and protein rich foods can also help with water retention and as since I have been house sitting I haven't been using any of the soya mince or as many beans and pulses as I had been so will be rewriting my meal plan for when I'm back home to include some spag bol (although I might make it SP and just have salad and no pasta) and some 3 bean chilli as kidney beans are supposed to be a good source of potassium as well as being protein rich.

Of course I am placing a lot of blame on water retention cos that's what I have self diagnosed (when people come in to work doing that we all groan so I should know better!) but I do know that I need to stick to plan better this week too.

Today's Meal plan

Breakfast: Melon and Mango, latte (using half Hex A milk)
Lunch: Egg salad with 1tbsp lighter then light Mayo (1/2 syn), 2 slice wholemeal bead (HexB)
Dinner: Left over spicy rice and Salad
Snacks: Melon and grapes, Crunchie 26.1g (6 syns), latte (1/2 hex A milk)

Should be back home late tonight assuming no delays with flights etc. Popped home yesterday and having left OH home alone for 2 weeks means the kitchen looks like a bomb has gone off - it better be somewhat approaching useable by the time I get back tonight cos I don't think I can food optimise in prison!

Back