Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(9.39%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    My nails are a mess. They've always been weak, split and peel when they get to any decent length.

A few years ago I use to have acrylic nails and then gel and they looked great - but expensive and time consuming to upkeep.

So gone back to my own - tried using nailteeks and sally hanson hard as nails on them ... but they still break, split etc

Anyone any tips for me to have glorious long nails???

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. magickmel

magickmel Loves VLCD's !

Diet:
    Lighter Life and now CD
    No but I could do with some help too. After the house move part 1 my nails are awful! When you say acrylic do you mean nail extensions ? I have heard of these and was considering it but how long do they last ? I would go for a manicure but doubt whether they could be currently improved !
    Melissa x

4. flirty40greeneyes

flirty40greeneyes Busy busy busy!!

Start Weight:
    15st3lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(9.39%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    Yes acrylic and gel false nails. I use to go every 2weeks to have infills - and they looked lovely - where as my nails don't!

5. Karen

Karen Serial Foodie!

Start Weight:
    19st7lb
    Current Weight:
    18st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5lb(6.96%)
    Diet:
    Atkins
    my nails suffer the same way! used to love my mobile manicurist BUT i find my nails are better on CD. dunno whether its all the water or getting proper nutrition tho :confused:

they r better but still kinda rubbish lol

6. GreenDayJen

GreenDayJen Full Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    i find always wearing nail polish stops mine breaking and regularly filing them. also do you use cuticle oil? x

7. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    I have very brittle nails, but it's not a problem as I have to keep them short (pianist).

I found they were terrible when I was SSing. Never been worse.

After the diet I started add a multivit and mineral to my healthy diet and couldn't believe the difference it made to my nails. Had to start cutting them:eek:

8. GreenDayJen

GreenDayJen Full Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    actually, friend of mine swears by one of those mutlivits for women (wellwoman or skin, hair and nails kinda thing) which i always thought were probably rubbish, for nails and clear skin. maybe worth a go.

9. sonkie

sonkie Gold Member

Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Diet:
    measure up
    I never put nail polish on, I rub the cuticles with cream covering the nail too, and they seem pretty resilient, I find nail polish dries my nail out making them worse......! They are also better since being on LT !

10. flirty40greeneyes

flirty40greeneyes Busy busy busy!!

Start Weight:
    15st3lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(9.39%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    Mine have never really been good - what multivit do you take Karion?? Someone told me royal jelly was meant to be good???

11. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Just a standard supermarket one. Asdas at the moment :)

12. magickmel

magickmel Loves VLCD's !

Diet:
    Lighter Life and now CD
    Anyone know the current typical price for nail extensions ? the idea is growing on me ! However 2 weekly maintenance probably adds to the cost I bet ! Thanks

13. kazz

kazz Gold Member

Diet:
    WW
    Hi Melissa, I used to pay £40 for a full set of acrylic nails, and then £20 every 2 weeks for infills....they look great but the maintenance is hard work, and they can start to look a bit icky while you are coming up to getting the infills done

I miss my acrylic nails though!! They were my biggest vice, well apart from chocolate!! It was the best hour I spent every fortnight!

14. magickmel

magickmel Loves VLCD's !

Diet:
    Lighter Life and now CD
    Thanks karen, I fancy a bit of a non-food treat. Do they paint them or french manicure or what? Can you have what you like ? :cool:

Also can they come off or drop off ? Sorry to be such a virgin in these matters :D

15. kazz

kazz Gold Member

Diet:
    WW
    Well you can get 'natural' or white tips . They have a lovely glossy finish to them and with natural tips they look like a french manicure, but I'm sure if you fancied having them painted it can be done, I always liked the natural looking ones. They can break sometimes, but my nail technician always fixed mine no problem. They only really seem to break if you have them too long. I used to get different color tips on mine as well, like silver glitter mixed into the acrylic to give them a littls sparkle (not mad ott or anything, although I did have tricolor tips for st patricks weekend last year!)

They are fab, but take a couple of days to get used to. I think as well as getting them infilled every 2 weeks, you need to get a full new set every 2 or 3 months, cos they can only fill them so many times before they just look really bad!

You should go for it, I believe acrylics are stronger than gel, but you get a similar look from them both

wannabeminime likes this.
  16. wannabeminime

wannabeminime Gold Member

Do they make your natural nails weaker??

17. kazz

kazz Gold Member

Diet:
    WW
    Hi Bex, when you take them off your nails will probably be softer than they were, but not necessarily weaker because the acrylic or gel has protected them from all the knocks they would usually get.

Mine were really soft for a couple of weeks and then went back to normal....I would love to be able to afford to gt them done again!

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. wannabeminime

wannabeminime Gold Member

Thanks Kazz, I've always fancied having a go with them, maybe as i treat when i get into the 12's! Gotta get back on track first!

20. magickmel

magickmel Loves VLCD's !

Diet:
    Lighter Life and now CD
    and ...another question from me :D

How do they stand up to washing up, the usual household chores etc ?

21. kazz

kazz Gold Member

Diet:
    WW
    They are grand with the chores as long as you havent got them too longm but fir washing up you should wear glovs!

22. magickmel

magickmel Loves VLCD's !

Diet:
    Lighter Life and now CD
    Thanks...I might do some pricing up round here over the weekend, getting excited now !:D

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.