Nails

Hi everybody,

Just read your thread on nails. I too suffer with brittle nails but dicovered a miracle cure! lol

******** ALMOND OIL *******

You can buy it in the Body Shop but is very expensive there compared to the bottle I bought in my local "world foods" shop. I am sure you would be able to get it in Tescos or Asdas as well, as they do a wide range of world foods now. I bought a bottle (about 1/3 litre) for just over a pound and it lasts ages. Just rub into nail and cuticle (when you havent got nail polish on) each evening and you will see a big difference in a few days. Its remarkable stuff. My nails have never been better.

Hope this is of help.

Nails need oil and water.....so the small amount of fats in sole source can have a detrimental effect initially (as with the hair and skin), but the other nutrients will quickly improve their quality.

Almond oil is great, but even cooking oil is better than nothing. However, baby oil isn't a very good idea, because it's a mineral (rather than vegetable) oil, which forms a barrier on the skin and is therefore great for avoiding nappy rash, but doesn't sink in.

Technique is actually more important than what you use, because nails are formed inside your fingers....easy huh? So massage the oils in from the cuticles down to the knuckles - it's great to do if you're watching the tv and trying not to eat.....not so great for the computer keyboard though!

My nails are so strong and flexible that I have to cut them down every Sunday evening. And I use grapeseed oil on my body - recommended by an aromatherapist years ago - because it's cheap, easily available in supermarkets, sinks in quickly taking the essential oils with it, and is full of antioxidants. It's a fashionable ingredient in face creams at present.

Thanks Now or Never - bought some almond oil from my local chemists - £2.60 for a 200ml bottle!!! Will last me my lifetime!! And already I can see a difference.

Hey,

I am an acrylic nail addict, i love them! I pay £22 for the first full set and then £15 for infills. I think the amount you pay depends on where you live- in cities its much cheaper and better value for money than small towns where there isnt so much competition between nailbars.

I get mine airbrushed included in the price and they look amazing. Everyone always comments on how nice they are... heres a pic of mine at the moment...

Pictures of me 094.jpg

Pictures of me 095.jpg

Dont go paying 40 quid for them, even I wouldn't pay that much and I am addicted! xx

PS trick is not to get them too long, they nail technicians can get a bit length-happy and seem to think that all women who have their nails done dont need to do housework- deliberately ask them to make them shorter if u are worried about the practicality. Thats what I do and I can do everything normally after a day or so getting used to them

xxx

you can get some acrylic nail tip there. i got one made last year... it made my nails weaker for some time as i didn't take them off properly... :( well, you have to make sure you know how to take them off as it may damge the nails if you don't know.

i regularly file them and use cuticle oil as well. Also, (take vitamin E)use a nail polish that has vitamins in it or acrylic nail polish...these have always helped me

BILD0080.JPG

Hiya,

I have acrylic nails on at the moment, Had them on since the End of November, Only got them on for my Engagement party & I loved them so much I have just kept them up, I paid £18 for a full set & £12 for a infill.
I LOVE GETTING THEM DONE.. :D

I find them very strong & have only had 3 new tips on & thats just coz they had lifted slighty from the edge & dirt got inside so it looked dirty under the tip.

I have just had them re-done again today, I normally have diamante's on my nails put just got them painted this time.

I am thinking of buying the acrylic and filling them myself as it will save me a fortune.

My nails are quite soft underneath but if I took them off they would soon go back to normal.

I love Sally Hansen Hard as Nails & Maximum growth & I moisturise them every day which or without acrylic nails.

xx

I do my own nails..a tub of tips is £1.99 for 100 in town then i paid around £11 for a 'broadway' gel set..(this includes tips but i dont like them, i prefer the white tips) i have had the same gel set and tips for months, the gel lasts ages as you dont need much and the tips last as long as you make em lol so it really works out as pennies for each set i have..it takes me around an hour to do a full set on myself and they look pretty good too, people ask me where i go and are quite amazed when i tell them i do it lol! It does take a few attempts to get the hang of it..i took about 3hrs once then soaked them all straight off afterwards coz messed them up haha..takes up time in the evenings tho so that must be a good thing eh? Am thinking of doing a nail course in college this year too.. :eek:
If anyone wants any help about doing there own then get PM me and will do my best..
Have attached a pic of my nails when i did them for when i got engaged over this Christmas..The pic was more to show my ring than the nails for another forum but you can just about see my nails..the mark on my ring finger is a mini decoration to make them more chrismassy lol
ringd.jpg

Last edited:
Now I'm gonna apologise in advance if I offend anyone, but ....

Please please do not attempt to put acrylic nails on yourself if you do not know what you are doing!

Acrylic nails should only ever be applied by a fully qualified PROFESSIONAL nail technician. It is not a hobby, and the chemicals involved should not be 'played' with. You run a serious risk of permanently damaging your nails and causing all kinds of skin complaints due to over exposure.

This kind of attitude to a professional service is really very silly, would you cut your own hair? or diagnose your own illness? or wire your own electrics?

A professional nail technician can spend thousands of pounds on education and quite frankly a couple of posts on this thread are a complete insult to the profession. You may think you are saving money, but believe me you will pay for it in the long run.

I have outlined some things you should look for when visiting a PROFESSIONAL nail technician.

Always ask for proof of qualification and insurance
Are the products in clearly marked containers, if not how do you know what is being put on your nails? There are some very inferior products out there, including MMA! which is not good! The chances are if you are only paying £18, the product is not very good.
Never let an electric nail file be used on your natural nail
Does your nail tech speak/understand clear english, if not how do you know, that they know, what you are asking for?
A good nail technician will always do a consultation and fill in a client card.
Acrylic nails do need to be rebalanced every 2-3 weeks, but they do not need to be removed unless there is a problem.

I could go on and on but I think you get my gist.

Now I'm gonna apologise in advance if I offend anyone, but ....

Please please do not attempt to put acrylic nails on yourself if you do not know what you are doing!

Acrylic nails should only ever be applied by a fully qualified PROFESSIONAL nail technician. It is not a hobby, and the chemicals involved should not be 'played' with. You run a serious risk of permanently damaging your nails and causing all kinds of skin complaints due to over exposure.

This kind of attitude to a professional service is really very silly, would you cut your own hair? or diagnose your own illness? or wire your own electrics?

A professional nail technician can spend thousands of pounds on education and quite frankly a couple of posts on this thread are a complete insult to the profession. You may think you are saving money, but believe me you will pay for it in the long run.

I have outlined some things you should look for when visiting a PROFESSIONAL nail technician.

Always ask for proof of qualification and insurance
Are the products in clearly marked containers, if not how do you know what is being put on your nails? There are some very inferior products out there, including MMA! which is not good! The chances are if you are only paying £18, the product is not very good.
Never let an electric nail file be used on your natural nail
Does your nail tech speak/understand clear english, if not how do you know, that they know, what you are asking for?
A good nail technician will always do a consultation and fill in a client card.
Acrylic nails do need to be rebalanced every 2-3 weeks, but they do not need to be removed unless there is a problem.

I could go on and on but I think you get my gist.

Are you a nail technician chick??
I did pay £18 for a full set & its probably cheaper acrylic what they used but I am overjoyed with the result.. Cant complain.. :rolleyes:

Hi Kelly

Yes I am a nail technician.

If your nail technician is qualified, insured, uses good sanitation and your natural nails remain nice and healthy, AND she/he manages to do them for £18! then hell yeh you should be happy, I would be!, however if she/he isnt/doesn't then watch your nails, you could have all sorts of problems.

With regard to filling them yourself, you wount be saving money cause you wount be able to buy all the products you will need for less than £18! Trust me.

Hi Kelly

Yes I am a nail technician.

If your nail technician is qualified, insured, uses good sanitation and your natural nails remain nice and healthy, AND she/he manages to do them for £18! then hell yeh you should be happy, I would be!, however if she/he isnt/doesn't then watch your nails, you could have all sorts of problems.

With regard to filling them yourself, you wount be saving money cause you wount be able to buy all the products you will need for less than £18! Trust me.

Hiya,

What I mean is I get them in-filled every 3 weeks or so, £12 at a time, it will cost me about £30 so in the long run I would save money..
Do you use an electric file when you doing the in-fill??
x

Well I suppose,in theory, you could save money but it's still not something I'd recommend. Up to you of course hun, just giving you some friendly advise. ;)

No I don't use an electric file at all, I have never needed to. Not saying there is anything wrong with electric files, in the right hands. I have actually done the course, but just never needed it.

£18 for a new set and £12 for a fill is INCREDIBLY cheap, I don't know any techs that can do it for that price, so your getting a bargain.

I charge £40-£45 for a new set, and £30 for a rebalance. With my salon overheads, cost of materials and training, I couldn't afford to do it any cheaper!:eek:

Lisa xx

Well I suppose,in theory, you could save money but it's still not something I'd recommend. Up to you of course hun, just giving you some friendly advise. ;)

No I don't use an electric file at all, I have never needed to. Not saying there is anything wrong with electric files, in the right hands. I have actually done the course, but just never needed it.

£18 for a new set and £12 for a fill is INCREDIBLY cheap, I don't know any techs that can do it for that price, so your getting a bargain.

I charge £40-£45 for a new set, and £30 for a rebalance. With my salon overheads, cost of materials and training, I couldn't afford to do it any cheaper!:eek:

Lisa xx

I understand Chick..
So do you just use a normal nail file to blend in the in-fill & take off a layer of acrylic??
Its 2 chinese people who work there, its that cheap as they still have there sale on, Have to say its cheap & cheerful & it suits me as I couldnt afford to get them done regular if it was £30 an in-fill..
Only problem is that I snapped a nail the other night, 1st acrylic I snapped & they actually electric filed my own nail to make the surface rough to put the nail on, :confused:
Its quite tender today & I had them filled in yesterday..
Over the moon with the finished product though.
Most of my own nails are quite long underneath the acrylic so may take them off & have a break next time..

Do u have them on all the time or dont you have any on?

best thing to strengthen nails.....is Vitamin A. so if your not getting enough, take vitamin supplement and your nails will soon get better.

(im training to be a nutrionist and vitamin A is great for nails, hair skin etc.)
x

I bought the Opi nail envy a few weeks ago, but I haven't been applying it regularly; it has good reviews although it does contain formaldehyde (sp?)

Yes acrylic and gel false nails. I use to go every 2weeks to have infills - and they looked lovely - where as my nails don't!

That's often. I go every four weeks and somtimes I can last five weeks between refills. At £15 a fill, (typical London price for the nail bars here) the acrylic fills work out at £3 a week for 5 weeks or £3,75 a week for four weeks. I don't get a design because it looks false. I ask for them to be short, and they put buffing cream on them so they look natural. When bored or the roots begin to show, I paint them myself.

That's often. I go every four weeks and somtimes I can last five weeks between refills. At £15 a fill, (typical London price for the nail bars here) the acrylic fills work out at £3 a week for 5 weeks or £3,75 a week for four weeks. I don't get a design because it looks false. I ask for them to be short, and they put buffing cream on them so they look natural. When bored or the roots begin to show, I paint them myself.

There are all sorts of reasons why this isn't a good idea. 4-5 weeks is a long time between fills, the balance of the nail will be completely out and you risk doing serious damage to your natural nails.
I also can't imagine what products they are using to only be charging you 15 quid every 5 weeks. Do you even know what products they use?
Each to their own of course, just be careful.
Anyone who is interested in nails and what I am talking about can get great advice form. www.salongeek.com.

Back