Need some advice

Hi there

I'm new to the forum and would like some help with losing weight. I'm 22, male, 5 foot 10 and weigh 16 stone 5 pounds.

I started eating healthier, reduced snacking and takeaways and basically tried to aim for a calorie deficit to help with weight loss. I've been using MyFitnessPal to keep track.

Since 1st January 2012 I've went from 16 stone 13 pounds to 16 stone 5 pounds.

I have also been having Slim Fast shakes for breakfast and occasionally lunch as well.

I e-mailed a fitness expert and they advised to stop having Slim Fast.

I'm really not sure what to do. I currently walk for an hour at a time at least 3 times a week and will be starting the gym when it opens in the next couple of months.

Hi, I'd keep away from Slimfast, way too much sugar in them. You sound similar to me in size and shape, I'm currently just about to start my second week on Atkins, it's been good so far, I lost 8lb in the first week. Key is drink plenty of water. You should take a look at low carb diets, they'd do wonders for you. There's loads of help within this site, but make sure you check out the low carb part, it might not be for you but you never know.

Best of luck mate

Kill the shakes and switch to something with a high protein level. I find a lowER carb diet keeps me full but let's me lose steadily? So think chicken and salad? But I need some good carbs to function or I feel ill. Things like porridge, brown rice, new potatoes. Youve made a fab start and i personally think its important to introduce these changes gently. If you go from all those bad old habits and suddenly start eating nothing but lettuce and working out everyday then you set yourself up to fail!! Change one thing at a time and when that new behaviour (EG no snacking) is well established then introduce another. The only other tip i can give is.....Chug plenty of water and keep that walking up!!

Back