Need something new!!

Legomom

Gold Member
Hey all

I read a lot and I really need a new author/series to get my teeth into right now!! Any ideas? I'll list a few of my faves and if anyone has a suggestion I'll give it a whirl lol

Stephen king/Dean koontz always go down well.

Anne rice Brian lumley and laurell k Hamilton for a vampire fix :)

Terry pratchett ben elton and the hitchhiker dude (brain freeze sorry!) for a good giggle.

Anne mcaffrey, Stephen Donaldson for a scifi fantasy hit?

I've got hundreds of random books and collections too lol those are just to give an idea what I've read an enjoyed before :) i tend to pick out a couple off the best sellers charts every month and dip in an out but I'd love to find a few good series to fall into! It's the only thing that keeps me out of the biscuit tin!

I don't really like romances or crime books but I'd be willing to try a few!! Just not mills an boon pleeeeaaaase!! I turned to them in desperation during a long hospital stay and it's safe to say I'm never going there again.......

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Have you read Four Past Midnight by Stephen King? Its a collection of 4 novellas, by far the best being The Langoliers. I would buy it for that one story alone, about an aircraft that flies through a time portal. Absolutely brilliant story that was subsequently made into a TV film.

I know it's been said before, but I go on www.readitswapit.co.uk & find I swap for books I wouldn't normally pick up from the library or bookshop.

I'm on a historical fiction at the mo, not something I've tried before, but seeing as I was only paying for the postage thought I'd give it a whirl.

If you are happy to get rid of some of your books I'd recomend RISI, there's definately a variety of authors there;)

Lol I am a bit sad in that if I like it I can't part with it!! I'd happily swap some of the clangers I've bought over the years tho!!

I've read a bit of ken follett and Jean auel (?) and other bits. Historical fiction can be really quite good!! If they go easy in the bodice ripping tho haha!

The langoliers is a fab story (I have everything SK has done so far :) ) and I do love a bit of end of the world/ alternate reality lol!! Hence the stand being an old freind!!

I'm having a pratchett kick this weekend :) he's soooo funny. It's so sad he's suffering with alzhiemers :(

Beautifulmess said:
Kelley Armstrong - The OtherWorld seires :D I LOVE IT AND LOVE ANITA BLAKE TOO!!!

Ooh I have all the Anita blakes! Will deffo have to try Kelly Armstrong tho!

kelley armstrong rocks!!! maryjanice davidson is fun, and for a good stephen king book or two - cell, and under the dome :)

If you like a really well told story (stephen king) and a decent vampire story you might want to try The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Amazing from start to finish.

You know when you take a book on holiday - it virtually ruined a holiday in Malta I had a few years ago because all I wanted to do was to read it!

If vampires roamed the earth - this would be a thoroughly believable way for them to do it!! I'll say no more.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is amazing too!
x

Potatogirl said:
If you like a really well told story (stephen king) and a decent vampire story you might want to try The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Amazing from start to finish.

You know when you take a book on holiday - it virtually ruined a holiday in Malta I had a few years ago because all I wanted to do was to read it!

If vampires roamed the earth - this would be a thoroughly believable way for them to do it!! I'll say no more.

x

I'm intrigued now....off to hit google!!!

x

I have to totally agree with you about The Historian!!!... A MAZE ING|!!! :flirt2:

I love hysterical (historical) romance and my favourite author in that genre is Elizabeth Chadwick. I've just started reading Game of Thrones by George R R Martin, after falling in love with it on Sky Atlantic.Other authors I like Phillippa Gregory and her Boleyn series, The White Queen and The Red Queen are also good. If you're on Facebook there is a list called the Book List Challenge where there are different categories of literature that you can list the ones you've read~ it could give you some ideas for books that other people have enjoyed.

Hi I'm new to this thread but will post some of my faves to perhaps give you some ideas.

TAD WILLIAMS - Otherland series. One of the best series of books Ive ever read in the sci-fi fantasy genre.

CHARLAINE HARRIS- Sookie Stackhouse Series for my vampire fix.

KAZUO ISHIGURO- Never let me go. Something a bit different, its recently been made into a film but i havent had a chance to see it yet.

I dont really get much time to read at the moment but I love listening to audiobooks when walking the dog. Its great having audible on my iphone. Some that ive really enjoyed :

C.J Sansom- Dissolution 1st in a series of historical crime.
Justin Cronin- The Passage. 1st in what is supposed to be a trilogy about vampire/apocalypse type thing.
Maggie Stievfvater - Shiver. well written werewolf fun
Guillermo del Toro- The Fall . more vampires !!:rolleyes:

Have to agree with Starzz, CJ Sansom is brilliant. I finished his last one "Heartstone" in about 3 days. Set in the days of Henry V111 they're very evocative of the era.

Well I bought The Passage ( justin cronin) and Fall of giants ( ken follett) today and have been on amazon ordering the last four things by Paul Hoffman (follow on from The left hand of God) and the Historian so I'll be tucked up on sofa for a few days with those baby's!!

I agree with Starzz and Katesands8, C J Sansom is great and I can't recommend his Shardlake series highly enough. He is one of my favourite authors.

My absolute fave which you may well like if you like Terry Pratchett, is Jasper Fforde. I discovered him when a friend lent me The Eyre Affair, the first in the Thursday Next series. I went straight to the library and took out the other four and read them back to back, along with his two Nursery Crime books. He has since written another Thursday Next book, a book for teens (which I also loved) called The Last Dragonslayer, and the first in a new series called Shades of Gray. They are laugh-out-loud books for me, and I can't wait for his next novel. Actually, I would love to spend a day inside his head to see how it works as his imagination is incredible!

Clazzac said:
I agree with Starzz and Katesands8, C J Sansom is great and I can't recommend his Shardlake series highly enough. He is one of my favourite authors.

My absolute fave which you may well like if you like Terry Pratchett, is Jasper Fforde. I discovered him when a friend lent me The Eyre Affair, the first in the Thursday Next series. I went straight to the library and took out the other four and read them back to back, along with his two Nursery Crime books. He has since written another Thursday Next book, a book for teens (which I also loved) called The Last Dragonslayer, and the first in a new series called Shades of Gray. They are laugh-out-loud books for me, and I can't wait for his next novel. Actually, I would love to spend a day inside his head to see how it works as his imagination is incredible!

Sounds interesting! Can you recommend one of his to start with?

Hi Legomom,

I'd say start with The Eyre Affair as that was the one that got me hooked.

Hope you enjoy it (she says nervously).

C x

Man, it's a pain in the bum when you read to the end of a thread and see that other people have baggsied your recommendations first - d'oh!! :rotflmao: I absolutely love Jasper Fforde's books. He is the only author whom I have ever thought, I would love to meet them. He has an absolutely beautiful imagination and his books are indescribable. A charming lunatic I think! :D

The other author that someone else got to first was CJ Sansom. I've only read Dissolution so far as money, or a lack thereof, is crippling my bookreading habits. Dissolution was an excellent book, CJ Sansom's style of writing is really engaging and you can practically smell the history as you read!

You mentioned that you enjoy crime, well not a life of crime as such, but reading crime books. I loved the Rebus series by Ian Rankin. I'm very sad that there will be no more.

Tom Holt is another writer whose work I enjoy, but he can be a bit hit and miss in my opinion. "The Portable Door" had me in stitches though.

Have you read Stephen King's Dark Tower series? I loved them although he did get a bit up himself at various points in the later books and the ending miffed me, although I concede that it was appropriate in many ways.

Anyway, I shall keep my thinking cap on. I love reading. I love books *sighs happily*

Ooh I have all the Anita blakes! Will deffo have to try Kelly Armstrong tho!

Enjoyed both those authors :D

Ozziemoz ~ I really loved the Dark Tower series, I think it is one of my favorite books of all times.
Im going to try Jasper Fforde on everyones recommendation. :D

Back