New Baby Checklist

MissSlinky2011

Silver Member
Hi everyone,

As you may have seen i'm a slight stresshead and list maker, However! I've found this New baby checklist online and I think its really useful so I thought If i post it on here it may help other first time mums who arent sure on everything they need for your New baby's arrival. Obiously there are some things on the list that arent must haves but i found it good because there were a few things i hadnt thought of!

New Baby Checklist

Below is a complete list of what you'll need and how many.

Clothing
• Hat
• 6 cotton vests
• 2 cardigans or jumpers
• 2 pairs of cotton socks
• Slip on bootees or pram shoes
• 2 Shawls
• 6 cotton stretch suits
• Scratch mittens

Sleeping
• Moses basket or carrycot & stand
• Cot or cot bed
• Cot bumpers
• Mattress
• 4 fitted sheets
• 3 cellular blankets
Baby monitor
• Room thermometer
Night light

Bathing
• Baby bath
• Top & tail bowl
• 2 soft sponges
• Baby liquid soap/shampoo
• 2 soft new towels
• Bath thermometer
• Cotton wool
• Baby lotion
• Baby talc
• Non-slip bath mat
• Brush & comb
• Baby nail scissors

Breastfeeding
nursing bras
• Breast pads
• Breast pump
• Nipple shields
• Storage kits
• Nursing cushion/chair

Bottle Feeding
• 6 bottles, teats & caps
• Sterilising kit
• Bottle brush
• Dried baby formula milk
• Bottle warmer

Changing
• Changing bag with mat
• Nappy rash/barrier cream
• Baby wipes
• Changing unit

Reusable Nappies
• 24 reusable nappies
• Nappy bucket with lid
• 1 pack of baby-safe nappy pins
• 6 pairs plastic pants/nappy liners
• Sterilising fluid

Disposables
• 1 box newborn nappies
• Nappy Sacks
• Nappy bin or disposal unit
• Bibs

Miscellaneous Equipment
• Car seat
• Blinds or sunshade for the car
• Baby view mirror
• Pram or newborn buggy
• Rain covers/sunshade parasol
• Baby sling

Useful Extras
• Non-biological washing powder
• Musical cot mobile
• 2 or 3 bright squeaky toys or rattles
• Dummy/soother
• Smoke alarm
• Fire guard

xxx

I'd say loads more clothes than that I've got a list somewhere of what iv got so far but ive got about 18 babygrows in newborn and upto 1 month cus they go through about 3 or 4 a day and washing has never been my strong point lol!
Plus a few outfits, I need to get some more vests only got 5 in each size tinybaby, newborn and 0-3 so far and got one jacket need another or a couple of cardigans and socks and bibs, so excited now only 12 weeks to go on Friday!

I'd get more nappies too im gunna start stocking up soon get a few tubs of formula and boxes of nappies etc so I don't have to worry in first few weeks x

Yeah im definately going stock up on formula even though im going give bf ago this time I know how hard it is and cos im having a section things might not go to plan.
Ive got a few clothing bits mainly sleepsuits so need toget some vests, cardigans and few outfits the sizes I brought are newborn/up to 1 mth and 0-3 mths maybe I should get some tiny sizes-how many tiny clothes have you got? it looks like I might be going in eariler now baby is still breech and they don't want to take any chances of me going in labour naturally as im a high risk cos of previous sections so might need a few tiny sizes, there still other things I need to buy too. I think the time is really flying for us Ive got 7 wks on thurs x

Yeah I've already got more clothes than that and I'm only 13 weeks lol!

I found this online and thought it was a good guideline but I think any mummy to be has way more clothes than that because you see so many cute things! I'm off to boots payday to buy the I love mummy and daddy unisex sex its adorable!

I'm breastfeeding (hopefully) so don't need to worry about formula but I've already got more nappies than that lol I've got a 5 drawer chest of drawers and the drawers run

Newborn clothes
0 - 3 month clothes
3 to 6 month clothes
6 to 9 Clothes
Nappies, wipes and misc lol

I'm mental!

X x x

My first baby was 8lbs 9oz and he had to wear tiny baby for about 3 weeks at least because newborn drowned him, I'm hoping baby will be abut smaller this time especially as I've tried to eat healthy and put much less weight on etc, I have so far got 5 tiny baby vests plan to get about 4-6 tiny baby sleepsuits too and a couple of outfits, if we need more I'll go buy some extra x

Talc

Hi Ladies,

Congratulations on your pregnancies. I saw you had talc on your list. I don't know if you're aware but there's some debate whether talc is safe for babies (And adults actually!) and I was advised by my midwife not to use it.
:)

The list was just copied from elsewhere online as a rough guide, personally I hate talc - its only good use is to pour it down the sink and run the tap because it goes sludgey lol!

hehe i remember doing this when i was having my son :)

NewBaby Checklist

Clothing
• Hat - i only used about 4 of these in the first 2 weeks, wasted money on loads an never even got used..
• 6 cotton vests - get more, somedays he went though 2+ a day and you dont want to worry about loads laundry.
• 2 cardigans or jumpers - maybe get another 1
• 2 pairs of cotton socks - definitely more, good elasticated ones
• Slip on bootees or pram shoes - not for new born, NEVER stayed on, or use them.
• 6 cotton stretch suits - get 0-3months, same for vests, yeh there baggy but soon grow into them
• Scratch mittens i had about 8 pairs

Sleeping
• 3 cellular blankets - i didnt get/need these
• Room thermometer - alot baby monitors have these on them.
Night light - again baby monitors often have these

Bathing
• 2 soft new towels - i have about 10 an still using on 9month old
Baby lotion - dont use this on newborns bcos of the perfume etc in them.
• Non-slip bath mat - dont need if getting a baby bath
• Brush & comb - wont use until months old

Breastfeeding
nursingbras - id get few more
• Breast pads - box or 2

• Bottle warmer - never used this

disposables
• 1 box newborn nappies - get a few packs of these
• Nappy bin or disposal unit - bought 2 never used again! hassle emptying and stinks!

i love this thread!
i have read up on so many checklists on google.
im 25+2 with my first baby and so excited.this is what i have so far

moses basket with stand-lots of blankets and bedding for it
cot-cot bumper set and bedding
cot mobile
pram which turns into buggy
car seat
changing mat for downstairs
playgym
bouncer which sings and vibrates
baby monitor with cam
steriliser and steamer
2 boxes of breast pads
2 boxes of newborn size 1 nappies
2 boxes of newborn size 2
2 0-3 vests
2 0-3baby grows
pack of bibs
1 0-3 sleepsuit
4 0-3 outfits
2 hats
2 0-3 cardys
1 3-6 snowsuit
1 sleepingbag
2 teddys
pink fluffy blanket for pram.

i know i need a lot more but if anyone can add on to my list saves me forgetting that would be great.

i am planning on bf too.

r thanku hunni i am so nervous and worried.
i am a total stresshead anyway iver everything and now im having a baby i even worse.
u worry about everything like not knowing what to do etc.
i never changed a nappy or dressed a bay or anytHing

I've bought one of the sangenic bin systems that individually wraps each happy to lock in smells - £7 in morrisons but the refills are about £3.50 if you buy them individually.

We have adult versions at work - I work with adults with disabilities I would really recommend them, they are so compact and absolutely no nasty whiffs!

And baby shoes are too cute! I don't care if they don't stay on I will buy them to look at lol!

X x x

beccaharrison89 said:
r thanku hunni i am so nervous and worried.
i am a total stresshead anyway iver everything and now im having a baby i even worse.
u worry about everything like not knowing what to do etc.
i never changed a nappy or dressed a bay or anytHing

I haven't either hun - I've changed adult "pads" we call them but they are adult nappies at work its not as hard as your expecting and you pick up tricks so fast!

X x x

Back