New Beginning - this time I'll do it!

Had a cheeky look at the scales this morning, they hovered at 13st 9lbs and then settled on 13st 10lb. I knew I shouldn't have done it I'm disappointed as I'd like to lose at least 4lb this week so 3 days in I would expect more than a 1lb loss if I'm to be on target. Still, the numbers are going down...could be worse. I am trying to be happy with what is. I haven't been that weight for a long long time.

Plus, I'm out tonight but will allow myself one wine (or vodka and tonic I think that's better calorie/carb wise) and get a huge bottle of water and eat a large salad with side vegetables (no dressing or sauces). So it's not ideal but at least a salad can't do much harm...wine/vodka on the other hand! :)

Then I'm away tomorrow and Saturday and back Sunday. I'll update then. Let's hope I can be strong for a few days away. I'll be taking bars and packs.... Have a great Bank Holiday weekend everyone. x

Been reading your diary Sasha and could be me writing it! Well done on your stone loss and making it now to week 3. Its so easy to unconsciously nibble or eat something without even realising that we have done it. Good luck xx

Been reading your diary Sasha and could be me writing it! Well done on your stone loss and making it now to week 3. Its so easy to unconsciously nibble or eat something without even realising that we have done it. Good luck xx

Thanks Martine125, I've loved reading people's diaries on here and knowing that I'm not alone. We are all in the same boat and have the same struggles! I've just read your diary entry. It is a hard road but I'm sure we'll get there in the end. I realise that it's not whether you fall off the diet with a small 'cheat' or bigger! It's whether you find the strength to get back on it. A day, a week or a month later and you have!! Well done. :)

Good luck on your restart. I'm routing for you! :) x

Last edited:
Weigh in day today. 4lb loss. Whoop Whoop. :happy036:
I was quite good over the weekend but did have a large amount of chicken one evening...I mean??!! WTF? I just ate 4 chicken thighs like some crazed person. And I had a few glasses of wine. But apart from that I had water, packs and bars. Now, back on the plan.

I took some measurements when I was 14st 4lbs. Weird to take arm measurements I know but my arms are huge and flabby and they are one of the areas I would love to shrink most so I'm hoping my next measurements will show a big change. I'm planning on starting 30 day shred (although I won't be doing it daily) a few times a week.

14 stone 4lbs
Bust 45"
Waist 38"
Hips 46"
Left Arm 15"
Right Arm 15"
Right Thigh 28"
Left Thigh 28"

13 stone 7lbs
Bust 43" (2inch loss)
Waist 36" (2inch loss)
Hips 43.5" (2.5inch loss)
Left Arm 14" (1inch loss)
Right Arm 14" (1inch loss)
Right Thigh 26" (2inch loss)
Left Thigh 26" (2inch loss)

Long post - sorry! I just wanted to add a quick thing. I continually think, 'Is this really healthy being on such low calories? An artificial diet with no 'real' food...or in my case real food CHEATS!' but then I came across a study done recently by Newcastle University (I'm sure there's more studies that have been done) but it took people with type 2 diabetes and gave them a vlcd. It was shakes and a few veggies. I've included an insert below from the BBC Online news.

Also, a few weeks ago before I began this diet my Mum (who is type 2 diabetic) took my blood sugar. It was high (no surprise!!lol) at 8mm she retook it this weekend and it was 5mm. So it's gone to within a 'normal' range. I'm not saying a vlcd is for everyone and I think it's a very difficult choice. Any diet that's working for someone is good in my book. But for people who are worried about doing it because it may have a detrimental effect on their health this might help?

Quote from BBC News Oniine

"Overweight patients who were put on a diet of just 800 calories a day were free of the disease within a few weeks of following the strict regime. Professor Roy Taylor, of Newcastle University, who led the study, said: “We demonstrated that by changing calorie intake we could change fat levels in the liver and pancreas and return insulin production to normal. They used MRI scans to watch how crash dieting removes fat around the liver and pancreas. The 11 participants in the study were all diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes within the previous four years. They cut their food intake drastically for two months, eating only liquid diet drinks and non-starchy vegetables. After one week of the diet, researchers found that the pre-breakfast blood sugar levels of all participants had returned to normal. MRI scans of their pancreases also revealed that the fat levels in the organ had decreased from around 8% - an elevated level - to a more normal 6%.Three months after the end of the diet, when participants had returned to eating normally and received advice on healthy eating and portion size, most no longer suffered from the condition".

Last edited:
That's an interesting article Sasha and shows benefits of VLCD. Well done on your 4lb loss that's super. I struggle with the weekends at times as Hubby likes to relax with a wee drink at weekends and chill out after a long week. I have soda water at the ready and if tempted will have a wee vodka with soda water xxx Think I wil be okay with food but plenty of chicken in the freezer should I need it xx

Thanks very much. It was touch and go whether I'd lose 4lb this week...4lb was my goal but after a few run ins with bread rolls and a French stick my plans were nearly scuppered! I'm with you about weekends. I like to relax with a glass of wine, if I get desperate for a treat I'll remember the vodka and soda water :drool: thanks for that.

I thought the article was interesting and seeing as my own blood sugar has dropped since I've been on this diet it kind of resonates. I truly believe that if I hadn't started I would've been headed for diabetes, my health was definitely deteriorating. I can't get away with what I ate at 25 now I'm 45. Things definitely change. And I've had a lot of comments from friends and colleagues trying to get me to do WW or SW instead as that's a 'proper' diet and I'll just put all the weight back on if I do a VLCD. Maybe, but I think if I don't change my mindset I'd put the weight back on however I lost it in the first place! I just love food...and plan to re-educate myself when I near goal xx

Good idea to have chicken in the freezer. You never know! Hopefully you won't need it. Onwards and upwards!! :)

Back to work and some routine. I find it makes the diet easier when I'm occupied. All ok so far today I've had a chocolate truffa Bar and plan on having my usual hot chocolate before bed, strawberry shake early afternoon (just seen it is early afternoon now!) and then Banana shake about 6pm.

Oh, and tried the Tomato & Basil soup yesterday. Not for me! A weird pinkish colour and, I'm actually finding the soups all taste the same. Vegetable, Tomato and Creamy Chicken if I closed my eyes I'd think they were one and the same. :D oh well maybe my taste buds have gone strange.

Not too keen on the soups myself sasha. No matter how i make them they still taste powdery to me. Rather stick with the shakes and have a cup of boullion if i want something hot.Well done on another good day x

Thanks Martine125, I haven't tried Boullion I will have to give that a try! I know I'll be steering clear of the soups - you live and learn! Have you tried the bars?
Hope you are doing well today. x

Well, another day and another hot chocolate shake! :) I have run out of bars now and can't really justify buying any more at the moment. So, I'll make do with the shakes - hoping that shakes only will make my weight loss even better...never satisfied.

Definite nights out/celebrations so far for May: I have dinner with a friend 15th May, my Mum's Birthday 16th May an invite to Sunday lunch 24th May and a christening 31st May. So, I would love to be well into the 12's by the 24th May as that's a family gathering and I want to look and feel ok (ish). Hmmm, but tackling meals out and birthday's and still having a good weight loss is going to be a challenge. :help2:

Still determined and going ok. I have had a lot of stress these last few days but am still on it. I tried on a black jacket for work that I bought ages ago and the arms were sooo tight I couldn't possibly wear it. I was excited because it fits (little tight) but was acceptable and such an improvement. I am on a roll xxx

Well done you, its great when clothes fit that hadn't before:)
Celebrations are hard arent they! I dont usually find food a proble its the alcohol lol x and there is only so many times that you can be the designated driver lol x. If the gathering involves alcohol then i usually stick to vodka and soda water. cause then you can offer to go to the bar or if in a house pour the drinks and omit the vodka having only soda water. some ice in a wine glass and nonone knows!! I always find well meaning friends can sabotage by saying go on a few drinks cant hurt! Wine is harder to cbeat wth lol xx That way a wee white lie keeps everyone happy and you havent wasted empty calories only a hundred or so if you have maybe 2 vodkas xxx

For the lunches maybe try salad or chicken/ steak for protien keeping away from starchy carbs if you can xxx

Im sure you will make good choices and keep your motivation pictures handy xxx

Good luck for tomorrow xx

Aahhh, thank you so much for your tips and advice. That's really helpful I'm going to protein and salad or veg. I mean you can always get that can't you?! And I definitely will want a drink :D I had a wine tonight actually grrrr. I've got a lot of stress at the moment (won't even go there!) but reached for a glass of wine. Damn! The soda water trick is good though and I can always have one vodka and then just top up with soda water. I feel more confident about it now.
Hope you are doing well today. I'll go and check out your diary and then I'll find out I guess lol :d'oh:xx

So, ok today. Actually quite good (apart from wine) :help2:
Took a caramel shake to work - I am trying to get rid of the ones I don't like quickly. I now have just 2 x hazelnut left and 3 x soups. Then I just have my favourites - Banana, Strawberry and Chocolate.

Anyway, nothing else to report. On track. Nearly had a 'sausage' incident but my BF ate all the sausages I had cooked for his dinner so I didn't get a look in! He really saved my diet tonight :D

Lol Im glad he helped you with the food by eating it xx Its so easy to reach for things when we are stressed isnt it. I could so have gone for one myself but was even to annoyed to get myself one lol xx Hope you have a good day tomorrow oh and i really like the caramel shakes but not too keen on strawberry seems to have bits in it??? xx

Strawberry is full of little seeds yes! I think they are trying to say...this was made from real strawberries or something lol. I quite like it with lots of ice and a dash of milk though. Bit weird like that. I did Cambridge diet a few years ago and I only ate chocolate mint, hot and still with all the lumps in! :confused: probably thinking back I convinced myself I was eating something solid. Yuk. x

Well, another good day (based on my standards anyway!). Opened our 'treat' tin which contains loads of chocolate bars and took a look inside only to put the lid back on and do a shake. It wasn't without major arguments inside of myself as to whether I could just have 'one' but I know that one will not stop there. I had a feeling if I even had an itsy bitsy chomp bar that was lurking at the bottom of the tin I'd be done for. I feel that showed the change in my mind set. A few weeks ago I'd have just wolfed down 2 bars at least without thinking. I now stop and decide. There was no moment of reflection before, it was as if I was filling some void. I haven't been perfect on this diet by any stretch of the imagination, but I think that showed me if I stay focused I might actually be able to do this!!!! Oh please don't let that set me up for failure :rolleyes:

I haven't been great on the exercise front. I've just felt very tired. So that's something to concentrate on. Water always seems to be an issue so drink more is a must.

I now have a work lunch & on to a Pringle Party on 20th May. I could really do without these Grrrrr. but can't get out of it. So, this week coming I need to make the most of it because come the 15th onwards I have quite a few nights out, days out and celebrations.

Eaten today:

Strrawberry Shake
Banana Shake
Plan to have a hot chocolate shake

Just need to try and fit in another somewhere... never thought I'd say it was hard to find time to eat something - or drink something in this case.

Been out visiting people and travelling for most of today which wasn't without its complications. I did a shake before I left home and took it with me as I was out the door at 6.20am (long way to travel!) Completely knackered now. I have had a few prawns today and a salad with roast beef chunks, there was no dressing on the salad just leaves. I will be so disappointed if that affects my weight loss. We'll see. Days like this is when the bars come into their own, shame I have run out.

Feel a bit strange tonight. Probably because I'm so tired. Craving something nice but don't know What. Feeling bored and dissatisfied but don't know why! Feeling irritated!! It doesn't happen very often but I hate it when I have one of these episodes...:rolleyes: I think I'm annoyed at myself for eating.

Today:

Banana shake (took it with me)
Salad leaves (no dressing) with chunks of roasted beef
Prawns
Hot chocolate shake

So, pretty boring. Not much to report, still struggling I have some days when I'm so strong that nothing will sway me but I felt I needed food today. It's swings and roundabouts. BF is tired too and keeps falling asleep mid conversation very annoying. :grumble:

Monday is my 4th weigh in, so I've been on this for a month. It has honestly flown by. I wonder how I'd feel if I hadn't started and I was still hovering at 14st 11lbs..... This week I'd like a 4lb weight loss (minimum). No pressure!

Last edited:
:drunk: Oh dear, friend called round unexpectedly and we opened a bottle (I'm not talking Evian)... :rant2:

Normal business resumed. It is shakes all the way today and for the record, I would not recommend drinking alcohol whilst on this diet. Today I feel fuzzy and sluggish and can't seem to do anything. It's not good at all. Never mind what it's done to my weight loss.

Hot Chocolate Shake
Banana Shake
Chicken Soup
Hot Chocolate Shake

Well done on getting back on track Sasha its not an easy diet by any means x I think that yo feel more sluggish afetr alcohol is the dehydration. We forget to drink our water when drinking wine and as alcohol dehydrares we should be drinking even more water xxx Not easy lol xx. Good luck for weigh in today x

Back