Attack New, day 2, just want some reassurance please?!

nila

Morning! It's my day 2 of Attack today, so just wanted to make sure I'm doing it right. I have the book and read it regularly but sometimes you need reassurance from other people!!!!

This is what I ate yesterday:

B: 2 soft boiled eggs, 2 slices smoked salmon, pot of Total 0% greek yog (170g) with truvia mixed in, cuppa with skimmed milk.

L: Wafer thin chicken, 6 crabsticks, 1 hard boiled egg, another yogurt as before.
(lunch is spread out as snacks due to hectic job)

D: 2 pieces fillet steak, cottage cheese, Dijon mustard, Müller Greek coconut&vanilla yogurt with the oatbran mixed in

Snacked on more wafer thin chicken and crabsticks

Drank 2l water.

Did not exercise as have a pulled muscle across my chest. Hoping to perhaps do a Pilates DVD today instead of walking.

Is this so far so good? I'm off today so hoping to get some cooking done, make some gallettes and pre cook some chicken breast...

Hi Nila

Hope you are enjoying your attack.

Personally, I would avoid Mullers and I would avoid wafer thin chicken too .... home cooked is best as you can be sure you are controlling what is added.

Also, crabsticks I think are limited to 8 a day (horrible things!! ;))

Keep going, you'll love the results :D

P x

Hi Nila,

That menu sounds lovely but I would agree with what Pauline says. Also, I've found that I don't lose as much the following day after I've eaten smoked salmon - just due to the high salt content. But I do eat it - it's lovely with scrambled eggs.

Good luck on your Dukan journey x

Thank you for the replies! I've just polished off the last of the smoked salmon as I can't afford to waste it but will give it a wide berth for a while now.

In my book, it says low fat sliced chicken/ham are ok? Is that not so?

I am LOVING the Total 0% Greek yogurts, with Truvia in, so filling!

I didn't know about only eating 8 crabsticks...I must say I really struggle in believing the Dukan book 100% as I am finding so much is not unlimited although Dr Dukan says it is :confused:

Saska

It does say in my book (which I think is the 2010 edition) to limit them to 8 per day.

I can't weigh myself til Sunday as my OH has taken the scales away!

It does say in my book (which I think is the 2010 edition) to limit them to 8 per day.

I can't weigh myself til Sunday as my OH has taken the scales away!

My neighbour has borrowed my book and will check when it comes back. I bought my book just a few mths ago when I started this eating plan and have had lots of changes to what the book says from what I read on here but maybe the crabsticks are listed as only 8 and I've overlooked that. Must say I believe the Dukaneers on here before I believe the book ;)

Good luck, Saskax

It depends which version of the book you have. The older versions say no pork ... which includes ham of course.

P x

Hi Folks. I've definitely been confused about some of the inconsistencies between what's in the book and what is written online/advised by the official site during the live chats.

My interpretation is this (please, someone more experienced correct me if I'm wrong!)

1. This is a relatively 'young' diet, so it's not completely established and they are still learning what is working for their Dukan dieters.
2. The book is great for covering the basics and the whys and wherefores of certain rules. It lays the foundation for the diet and sets out the basic rules. But it is farily generic and does not contain a lot of detail about specific products and brands.
3. The Dukan team are constantly learning what works and what causes stagnation from the dieters who have signed up to be coached. From this they are realising that some of the stuff that was originally off limits is ok in small quantities and some of the stuff that was originally allowed in unlimited quantities should actually be limited. The advice they give on their website is therefore more current than what is written in the book.
4. The Dukan team want to make the diet as user friendly as possible, to encourage people to give the diet a go and also to make it as easy to follow as possible. I suspect they are willing to experiment by allowing additional 'tolerated' items and then waiting to see how people's weight loss reacts. If lots of people seem to stagnate after using certain tolerateds, they may remove them. However if people seem to use them and continue to lose, they introduce them as safe. I don't think this is particularly sinister - it's just a way for them to keep updating and refining the approach. I have a feeling that in a few years, the rules will be pretty much stablised and it will be a lot easier for new starters!

As a rule of thumb, I would check what the book says, check what people say online and then see what works for you. If you can eat 16 crab sticks without gaining, then go for it! But maybe cut down should your weightloss start to stagnate.

Not sure if that helps or hinders, it was meant to help!

Jx

I have the book too, and seeing your post I got it out to read about crabsticks and this is what it says

"Fish - there is no restriction or limitatin with this family of foods. All fish are allowed, lean or fat, white or oily, fresh frozen, dried or smoked or canned (not in oil)."

At bottom of page it says

"Finally, you are allowed to have surimi. Originally from japan, these crab sticks are made with very lean white fish and flavoured with crab sauce and a little sugar. many of my readers have an unfavourable opinion of them. It is true that this is reconstituted food but having researched into how they are produced, i have seen that they are of high nutritional quality, prepared from small white fish on factory ships on the open sea. Others have pointed out to me that the labels mention carbohydrates. this is true but does not rule them out as it is starch which can be tolerated because of their other qualities. The fat content is in fact very low and crab sticks are extremely practical, odourless and easy to carry around with you."

Nowhere in these pages does it say a number of how many.
Hope that helps.

Woah Joodle, that all sounds perfect sense to me LOL.

I've been eating thin slices of ham, as again its in the book.

If you never ever found a website called minimins, and only had the book, you would follow that to the letter and still lose weight. as has been said, i think that it will come down to individual responses to food etc., keep a diary of food or menu plan (I type mine out and have it on the cupboard) I've found its done me good to do that.

Lol I don't know where I thought I'd seen that you could only have 8 crab sticks then... Think I've read so much on various Internet sites as well as the book it's all rolling into one!

Nila, I've definitely read the 8 crab sticks limit too, probably on some of the FAQs on their site or one of their live chats. I read that part in the book about them being ok, but it's always mystified me a bit as they actually have more carbs than sugar. Maybe Dr Dukan just really likes them himself so is making up reasons why they're ok!

LOL Joodle. I read it somewhere here about numbers. It may be that in an older version of the book they were limited. As we know they change things so often. I think its all down to personal choice.

having said that, Farm Foods sell packs of crabsticks and there are only 8 in them anyway. They're not very tasty though, but a handy snacks.

Hi nila and welcome to dukan. I think you are doing great so far! There are definitely some things on your list to look out for, but as the others said above, it's a lot about individual reactions to different foods.

It sounds like you have a hectic day, so I'd suggest cooking on weekends or evenings and making ready meals to take with you. Meat balls, fish cakes, dukan muffins, mini quiches etc are all great for eating on the go.

And keep us posted, as the dukanettes here will always help keep you on the straight and narrow!

Thank you! Where can I find the recipes for the above? I use this forum on my iPhone so it's a bit different to the normal site.

I forgot to mention I'm also having 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of wheat bran every day as I have IBS and can't deal with constipation and I've also been having some sugar free Polos and Werthers. Is this ok?

As I said before I can't weigh as Himself has confiscated the scales but I don't feel any different yet. Although I do take 3 different medications that have made my weight increase over the years so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes me longer than some to shed this weight!!!

Also just want to say again thanks for the replies and advice, you're all a friendly bunch which really helps at times like these, starting any diet is SOOOOOOO hard!

The book I have is the latest Dukan Diet Life Plan and it does not mention a limit on these seafood sticks.

I like this 'protein based' way of eating as I call it but really do not like being a guinea pig for Dr Dukan. He really should get his act together before coming up with an eating plan/publishing books and then changing the quantities.

By eating too much of the What You Can Eat Foods foods a Dukaneer could gain weight and send them into depression as we all know what gaining weight is like! After the 2 lbs weight gain I had by eating Extra-light Cream Cheese (nowhere in the book does it say Philly is NOT allowed) I really can't trust the book anymore and now all this I'm not sure what to do next :sigh:

Hope everyone is having a better day :)Saskax

Oh Saska, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to demoralise you!

I was trying to do the opposite actually. Here’s a different way of looking at it:

The book sets out the basic list of 100 permitted foods. If you do one thing, stick to those (following PP and PV days as required) and you will lose weight.

There are a few other thing s out there that can also be eaten while losing weight, but with these, it’s more up to you to decide what works for you. You may be able to eat 100 crab sticks a day and lose weight (so help you!) while even 1 tsp of cocoa powder throws you off track.

It is never going to be possible for the Dukan team to identify every single food stuff out there that we can or can’t eat – people are doing the diet all over the globe and there’s so many different products! But if you’re getting bored with the 100 list, experiment with some of the tolerated items or even things you find yourself which are low fat, sugar free and low carb. If they cause you to put on weight, stop eating them. If you carry on losing, great, you have a new food item to play with!

I just wouldn’t get too bogged down in the details. There’s no way they can produce precise instructions for everyone on the diet. I mean, I’m only a tiny bit over 5 foot – there’s no way my exact needs are the same as someone who is 6 foot tall.

So see this as a freedom rather than something confusing. You’ve got your 100 list, that doesn’t change. If you’re really motivated, stick with that. Starting to get bored? Add in some tolerated items (they recommend no more than 2 a day) and see if that has an effect. If you’re deadly serious about losing weight and very committed, you might only allow yourself one or two a day. If you don’t mind your weight loss taking longer, then add in some extras. If having more variety makes it easier for you to stick to the diet in the long term, it may well be a reasonable pay off for slower loss.

Don’t give up! Most of us on here have found our own way to make the diet work for us, once we got the hang of the basics. You will too!

Does that help at all...?

Jx

Oh thank you Joodle and a big :hug99:...no you didn't demoralise me anymore than I already was tbh. I guess I just like to follow a plan and perhaps that was me looking for the easy way and this dieting lark is certainly not easy.

I know it must just be me that has been confused as lots of people are losing weight all the time on the Dukan plan and so I am going to stick with it.

I am still on track and baked some muffins this evening and they were soooo good!

Just a thought, maybe you can help me.....are we allowed sugar free jelly? I think I have read about it on here but I'm not too sure if it's the regular sugar free jelly that we can buy in the supermarkets? If we can eat it how much can we eat in a day?

Looks like you are doing great with your weight loss and will surely reach your goal well before September! Well done!!

Thanks again for taking the time to write your post for me..I do appreciate it.

Saska x

Hey Saska and no worries at all - writing things down helps me figure things out myself! You're definitely not the only one confused - just look at the number of threads about different topics on this site! There must be a hundred on yoghurts alone! But I think you're right when you say about wanting to follow a plan - I think we all just want to know the rules. Thing is, in real life, there ain't always rules! But if you understand the principles (i.e. avoid added sugar and fat, keep carbs low and protein high) you know all you need to know to make the right choices even if there's no specific instruction from Dukan about it.

You're weight loss has been fantastic too - almost half way there! Why are you demoralised? Has it slowed down lately or some other reason? Funnily enough I can answer your sugar free jelly question as it came up on the live chat from the Dukan site yesterday. Here's what they say:

[FONT=ArialMT, sans-serif]Youwill be allowed to have up to 300g of sugar free jelly once in thecruise phase onwards.

[/FONT]
[FONT=ArialMT, sans-serif]I think they mean any sugar free jelly - just check the label. If it says sugar free and is also fat free, it should be ok. The only brand I know of is Hartley's but I'm sure there are others. I've seen folk here talk about making up a dessert using fat free fromage frais or yoghurt mixed in with the jelly when you make it up, to make a kind of mousse. Search on the recipe section and you'll find something if you like the sound of that.

Good luck! Do you keep a diary on here? It's dead helpful and everyone chips in with their thoughts and advice. I'd recommend it!

Jx
[/FONT][FONT=ArialMT, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Try making yourself a planner for the week, include your tolerated foods and clock the weight loss at the end of the week on the planner, they are good to look back on and see what was working and what was stalling the losses. You have the evidence then and can tinker with them for the following week.Cx

Back