Do you Smoke?

• Yes

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 64.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well done!!! 6 days Maintainer:D

Lacey, you can do this and look you do save money:)

Besides your health is your wealth.

Love Mini xxx

Well done!!! 6 days Maintainer:D

Lacey, you can do this and look you do save money:)

Besides your health is your wealth.

Love Mini xxx

I know, I know Mini :D

I'm having to do constant head work to keep the motivation going. It's soooo hard as I always had my cigarettes as a crutch if I was restricted on the food front:sigh:

Hope I haven't bitten off more than I chew tackling 2 addictions at the same time. We wil see :rolleyes: :)

Hi Lacey,

I think if I could go back in time I would do the smoking and the diet at the same time and kill two birds with one stone:)

I think it would of been the best approach for me...seeing what happened to my weight:eek: I think I was enough to put some friends off from trying to give up smoking as I was used as an example of what can happen!!!:(

If I can give up smoking anyone can as I was hooked.

Love Mini xxx

I would definitely agree with Mini here and really wish I had tackled both problems at the same time.

What inevitably happened to me was that I gradually increased my smoking while losing weight. I didn't even notice, it was probably so gradual, but in the end I was definitely lighting up (even on maintenance) and hanging on a little longer before eating.

So now, I'm choosing to go cold turkey on the old cigs and have changed absolutely nothing in my maintenance plan (which has kept my weight steady for 2 years) yet find I'm gaining weight!

With my fragile psyche, I'm fighting urges now to stop the weight increase, but of course the old metabolism slows up when we give up smoking so I'll just have to be patient and wait and see where I end up.

A non smoker (definitely!) with probably a few pounds to lose!

Hi Maintainer,

Are you keeping a food diary to make sure your not actually popping someting in your mouth to make up for the loss of having a ciggie in it?

I am amazed that if your sticking with your diet that your gaining weight....could it be that you are more active when smoking?

Just asking questions as I am fancinated, hope you don't mind.

I am very impressed all the same at how well your doing.

Love Mini xxx

hi Mini,

I don't even need to keep a food diary as I eat exactly the same foods week in week out on maintenance (Mon to Fri) and always gave myself free rein on Sat and Sun to eat "whatever" to no ill effect.

Now, however, I already see pounds on the scale (and I never quite got rid of those Christmas extras either!).

Yeah smoking speeds up your metabolism and also handily dulls your appetite. See here Metabolism.com - How Smoking Affects Metabolism. Some of the gain generally accepted to accompanying stopping smoking is probably due to misinterpreting "I want a fag" messages as being "I want food" but, in my case, I can hand on heart say not because I've changed nothing!

One easy thing to do of course would be to be strict (or stricter) at the weekend too, and that's my last resort in a few week's time, but at the moment when it's just been 8 clean days, I daren't risk taking that pleasure away too at a weekend when there's more time on my hands to think about old Nic!

Joanne :)
Happy to be a NON SMOKER for 1 Week, 1 Day, 13 hours and 38 minutes (8 days). I have saved £37.47 by not smoking 214 cigarettes. I have saved 17 hours and 50 minutes of my life. My last cigarette EVER was on: 31/01/2007 21:30. (cold turkey)

Hi Maintainer,

That is a very interesting link thanks!

"Never let the fear of weight gain keep you from accomplishing your goal. With a little effort and determination you will succeed in achieving both goals: quit smoking and avoid putting on weight. Your health depends on it."

Eventually this is what I decided to do and not let the fear of weight gain stop me from giving up smoking...

10lbs. would of been easy to live with...I would of been still under 9 stone:)

Never imagines I would of gained 10 stone:eek: instead of 10lbs.

O well! I am doing my best to shift the weight now and I am still a non smoker which is the main thing.

Congrats' on 8 days of being a non smoker, it is a great achievement and the health benefits are wonderful.

Love Mini xxx

Thanks Mini... that's pretty much what I'm telling myself right now. I don't think my fragile psyche could handle a HUGE weight increase, so I'm sticking to lean meat + veg or salads (no white carbs) during the week - no treats... and then will have what I want over the weekend for now.

In less than a month, I have a tooth extraction planned (yikes!) so, as it'll be a soupy kind of weekend(!), that'll be a good time to stop eating!!

Have a good weekend to all :)

Sounds to me you have a good plan going for you and I hope this weekend you have a fab time!!!

Stay strong:)

Love Mini xxx

Kazz it's not big and it's not clever at 26 it's a very bad idea to start!!!:D

Just kidding I know what you mean't LOL!

Dizzy x

PSML - truly made me chuckle!

I gave up about 3 years ago too (just a week after the smoking ban came into effect in Ireland) and I have to say it's one of the best things I did .. I put on about 2 stone afterwards but have since lost it and more (in the past 6 weeks). I was a heavy smoker - 40+ per day so if I can do it anyone can!!

I do smoke, but am in the process of cutting down ( I know, you've heard it said before! lol ) I'm hoping to quit by this summer, so as well as being fitter and slimmer, I'll also be healthier.

Happy to be a NON SMOKER for 1 Week, 5 Days, 16 hours and 38 minutes (12 days). I have saved £55.52 by not smoking 317 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 2 hours and 25 minutes of my life. My last cigarette EVER was on: 31/01/2007 21:30. (cold turkey)

Back