New GB Patient moving to York, Uk from USA

hi folks.

american moving to York to study.. just had my gastric bypass about 10 days ago. i am scheduled to leave for York on the 7th of Oct. Pretty scared, might not even go because I will be all alone, I can't even eat yet... I don't want to get sick... I'll be weak..(aren't you all weak and tired easy because we have no substance?) Should I make the trip? I don't know.....:sigh:

Hi
It's still early days for you. What does your dr or consultant say? Should you be travelling so soon after op.

Have you talked to anyone at the uni to see what they think? Do they know you have had the op?

Irene xx

Last edited:
Good questions. My doc did the surgery "early" to help me on my way to England. Should I tell the Uni? That makes sense, huh?

What will you be studying?? ie is it pysically demanding??

Do you already have accomodation etc sorted??

Can you postpone it for 6months or a year??

hi folks.

american moving to York to study.. just had my gastric bypass about 10 days ago. i am scheduled to leave for York on the 7th of Oct. Pretty scared, might not even go because I will be all alone, I can't even eat yet... I don't want to get sick... I'll be weak..(aren't you all weak and tired easy because we have no substance?) Should I make the trip? I don't know.....:sigh:

Elvie,

Life is a road that can only be travelled once. Don't live to regret your decision about being scared. You will make friends honestly. Being the new kid on the block will always be something you're gonna be faced with.... first day at school, first day at work etc. You really have to face the fear and do it anyway. You're posting on here and already you've made friends ... York won't be any different.

Embrace the change and view it as a chance to enrich your life. Hop on the train and take the journey of discovery ...! :hug99:

Good questions. My doc did the surgery "early" to help me on my way to England. Should I tell the Uni? That makes sense, huh?

If you're coming to Uni, I presume you're staying in Halls? If so I would mention it to the Uni and accomodation office so they are aware of your situation - better to be safe than sorry. Your Doc doesn't seem to have any problems with you going so all should be OK. Make sure you sign up with the university doctor.

Ok, I'll be staying off Hull Road in York. About 15 mins away from the Uni.. so i will have to buy a bike. I'll be studying Post-War Recovery Studies..so there is a field trip in December. I don't know where, but last year they went to Lebanon and Jordan. I am not worried about the move itself, or living outside the US but what I am worried about is the fact that I won't be able to eat. I'll start solids around that time, I wonder if energy will be a problem.. or stuff like that. They say it takes a year to recover from this.. Did you ladies?

Ok, I'll be staying off Hull Road in York. About 15 mins away from the Uni.. so i will have to buy a bike. I'll be studying Post-War Recovery Studies..so there is a field trip in December. I don't know where, but last year they went to Lebanon and Jordan. I am not worried about the move itself, or living outside the US but what I am worried about is the fact that I won't be able to eat. I'll start solids around that time, I wonder if energy will be a problem.. or stuff like that. They say it takes a year to recover from this.. Did you ladies?

I haven't had a GB ... there is a GB forum on here so the answers might be there.

Apparetnely the GB completely suppresses the desire to eat. :confused:

P,S - Your course sounds very interesting!

Hey all. I met with the doc today and he said i should try to postpone my trip for at least a month. I don't know the British System and maybe they will have pitty on me when i call to see if I could start late!

Wish me luck!

Elvie

Why hadn't you undergone the operation in good time to come here?

Anyway contact the University and see what they say .. you'll be starting nearer November, which IMHO isn't great - however if you can get some of the work emailed over to you and you can read around the themes you'll probably be ok. See what the admissions officer recommends. Also with you starting late are you still ok for accomodation? I think you should postpone coming to the UK for 1 year if that fit's in with your career prospects?

Back