New Starters. Roll on up!!

i think it's a great idea hon. you may struggle with eating enough to begin with. and you do need to eat a certain amount of fat, which after cd can be difficult, but you will remain in ketosis and continue to lose.

go for it and good luck :) well done on your losses so far :)

abz xx

Hi Bess, welcome love.Good luck if you do move over.

good morning everyone. how are we doing today?

i still have my headache. think i need to get my eye prescription checked...

i have left over sausages for lunch today, a few blueberries and some other bits and bobs. nom nom nom :D

we had a new coffee machine installed at work yesterday... no decaff option...

also had a new snack machine installed... well and truly avoiding it!!

abz xx

Ooooooooohhhh sausages... you've just reminded me thanks Abz going to have some with my eggs! xx

ha. woohoo!! i hadn't eaten sausages for ages. had kind of forgotten about them. but mmm.

what about quorn? can we eat quorn burgers? i love them... am off to google :D

abz xx

Quorn isn't good on Atkins abz. LOL. You're right not worth it, have a real burger instead.

Yes abz, Tesco do some 100% beef ones love.

are they pricey jim? i may have to investigate. i'm looking for cheap at the mo :)

and i LOVE quorn burgers :(

They are quite easy to make abz, 1lb cheap fatty mince, 1 egg 1/2 a small onion, salt and pepper to taste. just chop the onion mix it with the eggs and meat until it is all well mixed in. form the patties, leave overnight in the fridge and away you go.

Thanks for your comments everyone. I really need the time to explore this section of the website better, but just so busy with work at the moment. I read into the small hours and have finished the book and have just had my breakfast. I've had to use what's in the fridge and pantry of course.
Scrambled eggs (our own free range) with cheese, bacon and mushrooms cooked in the bacon fat with a little extra olive oil and butter. The bacon does have nitrates in it, but I thought all bacon does? Isn't it cured using salt petre? Does anyone know? I'll ask the butcher. I usually get all my meat from our butcher, but the bacon we had in was bought by my husband from the supermarket. I always drink redbush tea, which is caffine free.

I found the book depressing, and am wondering why. I think it's the long view of the diet never ending. I need to really read, think and learn about maintaining weight I know. I think I got fat because I ate too much, rather than I ate all the wrong things, I probably overdid the wine too- a glass or two every night.
What I've been hoping is that when I've got to my goal weight, by sensible eating I hope to maintain. Dr Atkins made me think that I can never eat another piece of cake again, or the fruit which we have in our orchard and which features heavily in our usual diet. You see we have never eaten highly refined carbs in large quantities, I've cooked for us all for years and long before it became fashionable (in fact when it was deeply unfashionable) always used butter, whole milk, cream and unprocessed food. We grow a lot of our own food, including veg, lamb, chicken and so on. I make jams, jellies and chutney in the autumn to see us through the year and the apples and pears are stored in the cellar and last until the blossom comes on the trees the following spring.
When I'm at a weight I'm happy with, I would sometimes like to eat my usual (pre diet) breakfast of porridge, stewed fruit (with little or no sugar), nuts and a little cream again, occasionally have some cake, a glass of red wine or some dark chocolate. These never formed a major part of my diet, they were treats, but it looks as though they can never be again. Or have I misinterpreted things?

hi bess. i think it's up to you how you maintain. and once in maintenance you can have far more carbs. i don't intend to live the atkins life. i couldn't afford it for one, and i love cake too much for another. but it really does make you realise that a lot of the time it's cravings, not hunger that make you eat. and my portion sizes are now tiny!!

don't let maintainance put you off losing weight in the first place. a lot of people have lost on atkins and maintained with other ways of eating. it's only going back to our old ways that we regain.

abz xx

Thanks for your comments everyone. I really need the time to explore this section of the website better, but just so busy with work at the moment. I read into the small hours and have finished the book and have just had my breakfast. I've had to use what's in the fridge and pantry of course.
Scrambled eggs (our own free range) with cheese, bacon and mushrooms cooked in the bacon fat with a little extra olive oil and butter. The bacon does have nitrates in it, but I thought all bacon does? Isn't it cured using salt petre? Does anyone know? I'll ask the butcher. I usually get all my meat from our butcher, but the bacon we had in was bought by my husband from the supermarket. I always drink redbush tea, which is caffine free.

I found the book depressing, and am wondering why. I think it's the long view of the diet never ending. I need to really read, think and learn about maintaining weight I know. I think I got fat because I ate too much, rather than I ate all the wrong things, I probably overdid the wine too- a glass or two every night.
What I've been hoping is that when I've got to my goal weight, by sensible eating I hope to maintain. Dr Atkins made me think that I can never eat another piece of cake again, or the fruit which we have in our orchard and which features heavily in our usual diet. You see we have never eaten highly refined carbs in large quantities, I've cooked for us all for years and long before it became fashionable (in fact when it was deeply unfashionable) always used butter, whole milk, cream and unprocessed food. We grow a lot of our own food, including veg, lamb, chicken and so on. I make jams, jellies and chutney in the autumn to see us through the year and the apples and pears are stored in the cellar and last until the blossom comes on the trees the following spring.
When I'm at a weight I'm happy with, I would sometimes like to eat my usual (pre diet) breakfast of porridge, stewed fruit (with little or no sugar), nuts and a little cream again, occasionally have some cake, a glass of red wine or some dark chocolate. These never formed a major part of my diet, they were treats, but it looks as though they can never be again. Or have I misinterpreted things?

Hi Bess & welcome... Can I move in please?? ;) Sounds idyllic! x

Hey Bess, have a look at the huge range of low carb cakes, biccies & bread recipes at this site: Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Recipes

I can't wait to be in maint and try these out! I believe long-time maint-er Jim often has the porridge with berries brekkie you mention as well.

I personally don't have much of a sweet tooth but chips and bread are my weakness, and when I was doing maint a few years back I used to have them as an occasional treat, once a week or less.

Hi Bess & welcome... Can I move in please?? ;) Sounds idyllic! x

Yep, big family, always room for one more!!

it really, truly does bess. bet it's bloody hard work though!!

Not really, used to it by now, the orchard just sees to itself, kids help with the veggies/cooking/cleaning- it's the other things like working for a living that get in the way!!

Hey Bess, have a look at the huge range of low carb cakes, biccies & bread recipes at this site: Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Recipes

I can't wait to be in maint and try these out! I believe long-time maint-er Jim often has the porridge with berries brekkie you mention as well.

I personally don't have much of a sweet tooth but chips and bread are my weakness, and when I was doing maint a few years back I used to have them as an occasional treat, once a week or less.

Thankyou Lady M, and all of you- so much. I feel much more positive now and shall definately give it a go!! :) Now, lunch?? Haven't time to shop - I know there's tuna in the pantry, just checked the freezer and found some Aberdeen Angus beefburgers (1.2 gms carbs) I think they are ok? Salad - yep, better leave the runner beans alone I suppose?:sigh:

I'll defrost some lamb for tomorrow. Shame the hens and ducks are going off lay.........mind you that blessed fox is seeing off the ducks again. I've been picking and freezing greengages, plums and soon the damsons will be ready. Good to know that I can have them again when that stone has gone! I wonder how long it will take?

Hi bess, yes I'm maintaining and eat loads of carby things, not cake as I'm not and never was a cake lover, I try not to eat more than one carby item a day and it works for me. I'll eat bread, one sandwich, or I'll have chips with my donner etc.... Once you are maintaining it's much easier in some ways, but I am always on my guard against carb creep, no more than 50 carbs a day for me. I'll even have the odd pint of Guiness, but not the 10 a night I used to regularly drink combined with a huge pack of fish and chips after.

Porridge and berries is fine, though porridge and a sliced banana that *SHE* has is incredibly carby. LOL

Hi Bess and welcome. Everyone has given you great advice and I'm in the same boat as you. I have less than 20 lbs to lose for my goal weight and I'm looking at maint. and currently I'm doing On-going weight loss.

You can have cake sometimes if you wanted or some of the foods that you liked. It's just that you cant have it everyday and go back to the old eating habits that made you gain weight in the first place. Since this is my 2nd time around losing weight because of the fact that I didnt prepare for maint. and keeping the weight off :sigh: I was a bit obssessed this time to do it correctly. The 1st time I lost the weight I went back to my old eating habits :eek: a big no-no. Now I know I cant eat like that again. Ive changed my eating habits and portions size.. Also OWL is coming natural to me. I went on vacation and lost 3 pounds. You will be fine dont get frustrated and hang in there..:D

Thanks Jim, this helps a lot. I've taken the plunge and joined you. My CDC was so nice and kind about me moving over, she'd great.
But it's a bit scary, eating all this fat. I weighed some salad - lettuce, rocket, watercress and couldn't belive how much 3oz was! I wasn't hungry at all, but remembering the book's warning about eating 3 meals a day I had lunch at 3pm ish. Salad, tuna and some mozarella, with olive oil and vinegar dressing, followed by black decaf coffee and cream!! Doesn't feel very 'diety' to me. Hope I'm doing it right. Do you think I am? I'm not hungry at all. Not even 'picky' hungry.

Back