New SWer - Measuring?!!!

Hehe thanks again for all your advice - and sorry if I came across all shouty - I was just having a bit of a rant (washing up is something I do NOT savour, and it sounded like a nightmare having to weigh, wash, weigh, wash all the time - and having a set of ordinary old-fashioned kitchen scales I simply can't imagine weighing anything down to the gram!)

I am loving this diet so far, just a bit flummoxed by all the weights and measurements in the online food diary / syn tracker thing. It feels like I can't just have a normal, ordinary bowl of porridge or museli or something :-/

Good idea drawing a line on the bowl where the correct weight comes to.

I also found this little beauty for my wine out at night https://resources.drinkaware.co.uk/unit-measure-cup

They're out of stock at the moment, but basically when you register at drinkaware.co.uk they give you £85 of credit to buy stuff off their site, so effectively you can order about 60 of these things for free - I was thinking about ordering them for my SW group.

They show you exactly how much 125ml, 175ml and 250ml of wine is, and also the standard measures for spirits and beer and stuff. Nifty :)

I agree with what others have said. We invested in a cheap digital scales - less washing up as I just put my cereal bowl on them and pour away :)

I don't use my scales every day as I know which glass holds my milk allowance or I grab a fibre plus bar or 3 crisp rolls for HEB's so no measuring there. Kingleds idea of measuring a box of cereal into portions is good too. Cheese I hardly ever have but again measuring when you get home is good too.

And then you've got TONS of free and superfree none of which needs measuring.

Syns are 1 syn per 20 calories if no free food and tbh you'll know your favourites off by heart soon enough!!!

One thing I'll add is - give it time!!! It took me a few weeks to get to the point of not thinking constantly am I doing this right??????

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I have a digital scale I bought from Tesco for around a fiver years ago. It is very accurate and no trouble at all to use - you can switch from ounces to grams by pressing a button.

I put a plate, bowl, or whatever, on the scale, then press the button which resets the amount to zero.

I know that if I guess how much something weighs, I will probably end up having far too much!

That is exactly what I do. To be honest I dont think anything of it now

I bought scales when I started SW and honestly have only used them 4 or 5 times. I tend to use HEX's that are pre-weighed, weetabix, hifi etc and then use a measuring jug for my milk.

When I'm buying ingredients I tend to buy them in a quantity as close as I need for the recipe, if it goes over a bit I just use basic maths and add the extra syns on- as I'm normally cooking for 4 it's a nominal difference once divided.

As most have said- I get by by looking at pack quantities or using my trusted measuring spoons, which cost me £1 for a set in Home Bargains :D

Hi There.
As others have said, you do need to measure some ingredients but it's easy, I use a jug that just holds my daily allowance of milk, and also when I buy a pack of meat, cut it into portions and bag it, stick a label on it with weight, what it is & the date and place in the freezer. It's most important to name the product! I once had to eat pork instead of beef as the label had fallen off!
I use digital scales with a small plastic bowl on them, reset to zero, very easy.
You will soon get the hang of it!
Pete

It sounds almost as though you're criticising - it's not as though I'm not arsed about following the Plan 100% - I absolutely am and for the last week have logged absolutely everything and not over-synned once. It's just that I couldn't imagine anyone having the time/patience for all that weighing... I know I haven't! I guess it's probably best I stick to my superfrees plus only pre-packaged stuff...

Thats just how it sounded to me!! I said it how I saw it!

I don't see how measuring & weighing is time consuming :confused: I have 4 children so believe me if it was time consuming i wouldn't have the time to do it! My scales are on the bench and I just pop my plate onto them when i'm eating anything that needs weighed! I have a wee list on the inside of my cupboard with all the weights and measures of my favourite foods and it takes no time at all! :)

I keep digital scales on my kitchen top. To be honest your only weighing a small portion of your food ? I can be bothered because I know guessing doesn't work, so why pay for the plan and not follow it properly? It's not hard work to weigh something? It's not like WW where you have to weigh everything? Good luck

I bought a water bottle that holds 350ml for my skimmed milk - fill it up at the start of the day and when its gone its gone (think allowance used to be 350ml not 375ml). I find this easy to take to and from work as I drink most coffee when I'm there.

I use digital scales every morning to weigh Shreddies - the portion is so small, I'm sure I would always overestimate it!

. . . and having a set of ordinary old-fashioned kitchen scales I simply can't imagine weighing anything down to the gram!)

I am loving this diet so far, just a bit flummoxed by all the weights and measurements in the online food diary / syn tracker thing. It feels like I can't just have a normal, ordinary bowl of porridge or museli or something :-/

. . .

Do you mean old-fashioned balance scales with little weights? No, I can't imagine using those either!

The trouble with a "normal, ordinary bowl of porridge or muesli" is that it is so easy to eat far too much!

I have to measure out the oats for porridge - I have a little scoop thing which holds the right amount, then I just have to add two scoops of water and pop in the microwave - because I could easily have twice the amount if I am not careful.

Bunnylush said:
People spend ten minutes weighing out their cereal into sandwich bags for the month?

I weigh out the weeks into little bags on a Sunday, that way in the morning I can just grab a little bag to take to work with me.

Bunnylush said:
People spend ten minutes weighing out their cereal into sandwich bags for the month?

I used to....now I just eat weetabix :D

I just don't eat cereal! :8855:

ermintrude said:
I just don't eat cereal! :8855:

Same here! Or its 2 weetabix, my hex are usually ,milk pours into a jug which is marked at 250ml. Weetabix 2 , 6 crackerbread, 4 ryvita, 3 dairylea, 3 babybel , 2 wholemeal bread,Hi if bar, the only thing I have to weigh is Philly light or cheddar if I fancy that.

HEXA is milk for my coffee
HEXB is bread for my toast

I usually do Green and use the other A on cheese but it'll be 3 mini Babybel light or 2 Marmite bites and syn the other half.
My other B choice is usually:
- chicken, but if so I know how much went in from the packet and I just syn anything above 115g accordingly.
- Finn Crisp and Laughing Cow, dont need measuring
- extra virgin oil, just use a measuring spoon

Very occasionally it'll be nuts, seeds, dried fruit for a special recipe.

Back