New to slimming world, loads to loose, want to get healthy,

jules1981

Gold Member
So its my first day on slimming world I ordered the 2013 pack from e bay along with a free foods book. I Have a lot to learn with all the different food, and a lot to loose as I am 22 stone as of this morning.

I feel this is the right time for me to start, I am on a strong does of antidepressant and mood stablisers, both unfortunately have helped me gain 5 stone since Oct, i saw a psychologist yesterday who is going to speak to my psychiatrist and see about changing my meds to ones that do not make me gain as much weight. I cant blame it all on the meds at all, a lot is my unhealthy food choices that I make.

I want to loose the weight to be healthier for my little boy (hes 15 months) I want to be able to run and play with him, i get so out of breath just walking up the stairs right now. I have a zillion clothes from size 10 up to a size 20, now I am up to a size 26 I only have a few, like 3 pairs of trousers and tops that fit :(

I struggle to go out right now (part of my illness) BUT some of this is because I am embarrassed about the size I have let myself get.

Sep 2015 we hope to have a family holiday abroad, this is obviously 2 years 3 months away so I hope that gives me time to loose the bulk of the weight by then :)

I like it that with slimming world I can start cooking health meals for the 3 of us :) Little man hates veggies but i am hoping i can start sneaking more in :)

Any help, tips or advice would be most welcome :) xxxx

Today on original or red

Egg and beans (HEB)

Jacket pot (HEB) with tuna and salad

Chicken curry (Recipe off here :)) and I am going to try cauliflower rice (FF), hubby and Little one will have white rice :)
hartley jelly 0.5

350 mls skimmed milk is my HEA I will have this in my teas and coffees

Syns 0.5

Snacks, all FF( I hope!) 1/4 little ones banana, grapes, melon and 2 strawberries, muller yog.

have had sugar free squash, teas and coffees.

Last edited:
Just had snack of melon strawberries and grapes.

Made the chicken curry with chicken, onion and 2 peppers and tin of tom with herbs, added 2 teaspoons of curry powered and to chilies and it was to hot for me! Liked the cauliflower rice though would have that again. Think I need to find a creamer curry-think i have seen one where yog or quark was used. If there is any truth in chilies bosting your motablism-Mine should be working full pelt now! hahah! Poor hubby wasn't keen on it either! he is now eating waffles!

Went shopping this afternoon, got some more muller yog as think they are free and some harleys 10 cal jelly's as think they are free too. Got some quark as I like the idea of mixing a powder hot choc with the quark- it was in my slimming world book.

xxxx

xxx

Off to get my oats ready for magic pancakes tomorrow morning :) yummy xxx

I'm here and subscribing/watching you now muwahaha lol

Those oaty pancakes are fabulous

We have a few similarities - I've a lot to lose, am also on meds for depression/anxiety/ocd and I also want to lose weight to be able to do more with my son (though mine's 11 years old :rolleyes:) - I've promised I'll take him to EuroDisney when I get down to under 200lbs and I also want to go to Japan again with my O/H so I have holiday goals too

If you want it I have a chicken dhansak recipe somewhere from my friend Lily on minis - it's Extra Easy only though as it uses lentils but these give the curry a really 'creamy' texture and it's mild and relatively cheap to make aswell.

Mullerlights are free, though I think the greek style fat free ones are supposed to be 0.5 syns (though tbh I just count them as free, it's not done me any harm so far). The hartley 10 cal jellies are 0.5 syns each. I've bought some but haven't got round to eating them yet so dunno if they're any good. I think the regular sugarfree sachets are 1.5 syns for the whole sachet so might be worth having those in as you'd get a lot more per 0.5 syn portion - if you're having a bad day you could scoff the whole bowl and it won't do much damage :)

I mix quark with the white chocolate options and some splenda and make an eton mess with the quark, chopped strawberries and crushed meringue layed up in a glass - it's lovely and feels proper naughty for very few syns. I'm having 'cheesecake' again tonight with crushed lotus caramelised biscuits for the base, lemon quark and chopped strawberries on top... mmmmm this 'diet' lark tastes good lol

Wow, like buses you wait for one and another comes along! Popping in to subscribe. Food looks good, jules. Just take everything one step at a time. Celebrate every success and try not to be too hard on yourself. Have a wonderful first week. Look forward to hearing about your first loss xxx

LoChan1984-Hehe stalk away :) Looking forward to pancake hubby face when I mixed the oats with yog and said I had to add eggs in the morning hehe! Bet he will try one when they are made!!! Plan on having with blueberries and maybe teaspoon of honey (1 syn)

Yep we both have a wayyyyyyy to go but hopefully can support each other :). Depression (they are still working out if I am in the postnatal depression period as little one is 15 months) and anxiety are tough. I have also been in psychosis which is no fun. OCD is tough too. BIG HUGS

Holiday goals are fab-We want to take LO to euro Disney when he is 4 :) I bet your 11 year old will love it-I believe you are NEVER to old to Disney :) I went to my first one 4 years ago in Tokyo :) ( and you want to go back to Japan :)

Ohhhhh chicken dhansak reciepie sounds good Hun, when you get time-Know what a mums life is like :) Thank you xx

I got in a muddle with the jelly's Syn wise. Still Learning :) I like the idea of the whole packet of the ones you make up yourself as being 1.5 I love the lemon and lime one yummy :) You are right that's a lot of jelly :) I bought some Muller light last week 12 for £5 in sainsburys (eek) never used quark so waiting to see what its like, i got a highlights caramel -which I believe is 2 syns to mix with it.

Like the sound of your cheese cake, the longer I spend around the forum the more yummy ideas I am getting.

Anju-Hehe like buses ;) You have done amazingly well to have lost so much weight, you should be proud of yourself. Trying to take it one day at a time, am planning tomorrow meals now as know it will be a busy day-Organisation is the key-Well helping me towards my goal.

xxxx

Found it for you :)

Chicken Dhansak
400g red lentils, rinsed
2 carrots chopped
½ swede diced
1 medium/large potato diced
1 onion diced
400g can of chopped tomatoes
Fry Light
1 tsp turmeric
Salt and pepper
1-2 inch piece of root ginger or 2 tsp ground ginger
3 cloves garlic
Another tsp turmeric
2tbs of madras or any other curry powder
½ -1 tsp chilli powder and 1 tsp chilli’s
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp sweetner
4 chicken breasts, diced and fried in fry light
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Place the carrots, lentils, swede, onion and 1st tsp of turmeric in a pan with the salt and add enough water to cover the ingredients by about an inch over the top. Bring to the boil and simmer until tender.
Add the tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes, blend and then set aside.
Cook the chicken in fry light and set aside.
Spray a large pan or wok with fry light, place over a medium heat and add the spices, cook for 30 seconds and add the ginger, lemon juice, garlic, and sweetener and stir together. Add the lentils and blended veg mix and then the chicken and cook on a low heat for about 30 minutes.

FREE ON EE

If I remember rightly I made half the recipe and it still filled my biggest saucepan and the lentils really bulk it out. You can adjust the amount of curry powder and chilli to suit your own tastes if you want it really mild. It freezes well too if you want to make extra to put away for days you don't feel like cooking

Can't believe you've been to Tokyo aswell that's really cool! Me and my O/H are big fans of anime/manga/japanese games and I also like to experiment with japanese cooking too. We went on a tour group thing and I kept impressing the guide and group because I knew lots of random names of things like shuriken and bonito lol Can't wait to go back there :D

Oh I just thought you can make a mousse dessert using the sugarfree jelly sachets and mullerlights - I'm going to try it out this weekend to see if it's as good as I remember. You make the jelly as directed and leave it to cool. Then before it starts setting you mix in a mullerlight with an electric whisk (to get the moussey texture) then leave it to set in the fridge, syns stay the same as the jelly on it's own.

Catch you later hun xx

Thank you hun, will add it to my list to make next week :) fab it freezes well too :)

I spent 15 days in Tokyo, maybe 4 or 5 years ago, my friend split up with her boyfriend and decided to do a "different" holiday. It was an fantastic experience, a totally unique city. I went to Australia 13 years ago, and want to go back there, my aunts are in Newzealnad and would love to visit them too. But no plan as yet, think we will need to win lottery first.

Mousse sounds yummy will try that for sure :) xxx

Good luck Hun, you seem to have picke up everything really quickly...I started yesterday :) I am also 21.2 stone ...so I'm here for the long run look forward to keeping up to date with you :)

Thank you-I shall go and hunt you diary out xxxx

Today Red day

Magic pancakes-Oats (HEb) muller yog (FF) sweetener (FF) x 2 eggs (FF) and blueberries (FF) with 1 teaspoon of honey 1 Syn. These were yummy, I couldn't eat all the pancakes hubby had 1 and little one ate some too, although couldn't get any blueberries into him.

Plan for lunch 2 x nimble bread (HEB) Bacon ( all fat removed FF) and salad (FF) and home made veggie soup (FF) small bowl-i will be eating this for days :) out 2 onion, 2 carrots 1/4 butternut squash, 3 stick celery, bit of cauliflower and its leaves and a stock cube

Snack-Coffee and 3/4 apple(FF)

Tea-4 sainsburys low fat sausages (2 syns-according to slimming world mag) butternut squash, cauliflower and courgettes.

1/4 melon, 3 strawberries and 10 grapes (FF)

HEa 350 ml skimmed milk

Syns 3, highlight hot chco 2, baked crisps 5 so 10 syns today

Drinks-Green tea, water, squash (Sugar free) and coffeee

Last edited:
Morning, food looks good :) Are you having any other veg with your tea to bulk it out a bit? x

Hmmmmmm I was thinking this.......Yep Might need to get some, we only have peas and sweetcorn. Maybe some green beans, and might roast some courgette with the squash.

Going to walk up the shop with bubs in a bit will have a hunt. We only have little local shops, but mums going to supermarket to get me the jelly crystal to try the mousse next week :) xxxx

Roasted cauliflower is really good. If you're roasting the squash stick that in the oven first for about 5-10 mins then stick the cauliflower in they should be done about the same time :)

Thanks-my like buttons disapeareds :( might try that Hun

If i made soup-celery, onion, garlic, carrot, butternut squash and a know stock cube-Then blender it up would that be free? xxxx

Yep - those are all superfree veggies :)

Thanks.....It soooo cold, off to make veggie soup :) xxx

Back