New Veg A Week

Babysham80

I'm not a great lover of cooked veg (love it raw!) and am trying to increase what I will eat by trying a new veg every week or two. So far found that I adore butternut squash and have brought some celeriac to try as mash on the sunday lunch tomorrow.
Has anyone got any out of usual veg they recommend? (preferably free on both plans!)

oooo ive always wanted to try celeriac!! will you let me know what its like? ive just started having aubergine, had some done on the BBQ tonight and it was absolutely gorgeous :D always wanted to try artichokes too but never dared hehe i might work my way through the alphabet ;) xx

I've just discovered butternut squash and sweet potato roasted in the oven - I'm so lazy you can buy them ready peeled and cut so just spray them in fry light and pop them in the oven for half an hour or so.

I'm not a huge lover of veg but I do eat it as its so important in a healthy eating plan so I'm always looking for new ideas too.

I've never tried Celerliac so let us know how you get on with it xxx

I love artichokes, I often have one for lunch, with a balsamic mayo dip.

Actually I do love my veg, but am often scared to try new ones. Keep meaning to try some celeriac though too and fennel.

cheers gals, will let you know if the celeriac mash goes down ok tomorrow...
Emma-Lousie - what does aubergine taste like, Ive got it in my head they will be bland and watery - totally unfounded of course!

I wouldnt know where to start with an artichoke!

I'm not a great lover of cooked veg (love it raw!) and am trying to increase what I will eat by trying a new veg every week or two. So far found that I adore butternut squash and have brought some celeriac to try as mash on the sunday lunch tomorrow.
Has anyone got any out of usual veg they recommend? (preferably free on both plans!)

Not quite sure what you would class as unusual, but here goes...

I eat any veg at all, and try to eat seasonally.... not only is it freshest but I can eat great deals of it and it works out so cheap....

a few suggestions would be
* Asparagus, either charred and served with a squeeze of lemon as a delicious starter or grilled and used as "soldiers" in a dippy egg (people pay fortunes for this is nice restaurants)
* Sweet potato, excellent mashed or made into crisps
* Fennel, a nice addition to coleslaw if grated, or use sliced in a salad with orange (strong aniseed taste)
* Kohl Rabi, diced and added to stews on a winters day to add bulk
*Squashes/pumpkins, all make a great "bulker" of stews or great base for soup

Any vegetable can be made into soup, if you cook it and are not sure just boil it up to make stock, blend and use as a base.

Bon apetit

oooh - Waitrose have started selling some kind of seaweed up at the fish counter. I always swing by the fish counter anyway as they often do "reduced offers" (I'm tight! hahaha!!). So anyway the lady behind the counter suggested I try it as it's had very good feedback from customers. I bought some, and it's absolutely divine! I think it is made in two days, either seared in tiny bit of butter (I know!) or steamed. Comes well recommended from our household anyway!

Lots of love, Caramelle X X

oooh - Waitrose have started selling some kind of seaweed up at the fish counter. I always swing by the fish counter anyway as they often do "reduced offers" (I'm tight! hahaha!!). So anyway the lady behind the counter suggested I try it as it's had very good feedback from customers. I bought some, and it's absolutely divine! I think it is made in two days, either seared in tiny bit of butter (I know!) or steamed. Comes well recommended from our household anyway!

Lots of love, Caramelle X X

Wow, sounds awesome, I must try this, not really a shop I use....

Also for veg try aldi, very tasty and there super 6 make eating veg very reasonable..... 3 coloured peppers 69p this week. We have had, fajitas, peppers on the BBQ, crudites etc, think I have used 6 packs since Monday

You can check the deals online before venturing out to see if they suit you.
xx

Carmelle the vegetable you're talking about is called samphire and it is delicious! Its great with any fish or seafood. I usually have it sauteed with some lemon juice. Yum!

Celeriac is also delicious mashed. I make it with equal quantities of potato and mash it all together with about 4 or 5 laughing cow blue cheese squares. Deeelish!! If you're on a red day you can skip the potatoes and use just celeriac for an equally lovely dish.

I love all vegetables! Some more than others but I'm always happy with having a plateful of veggies! The more exotic ones I've tried and enjoyed are;
Okra: I have this cooked in a little olive oil, lots of onions and chillies. Served on rice. Sometimes I add in some prawns and other seafood
Chinese cabbage: Great in stir fries and sliced in salads
I also tired one of those weird looking green cauliflowers, like ones you might find on Mars lol. They're nice! Just had them simply steamed.

Carmelle the vegetable you're talking about is called samphire and it is delicious! Its great with any fish or seafood. I usually have it sauteed with some lemon juice. Yum!

Oh, lemon! I wouldn't have thought of that. What a good idea! Thanks, will defo try next time I get it!! :)

Lots of love, Caramelle X X X

celeriac has the twang of celery but its alot milder, you can mask it into chips etc as well. Sometimes if i am stuck i do swede chips which also work, not as well as potato but it makes a good alternative on a red day

well tried the celeriac mash.... not a great sucess... I trid to put it through the potato ricer - that didnt work! Ended up mashing by hand added some milk and seasoned but it tasted a bit watery. Think next time I will make it with either potatoes or butternut squash!

I think this is an excellent thread, and hope it will encourage all of us to try something new.

I think that celeriac mash works best half and half with potatoes.

I do use celeriac in soups because when I liquidise it the soup thickens really well (but that is really a subject for the winter, not for this heatwave!!).

oh - didnt think to use it as a thickener in soup - always chuck celery in as part of my base stock - excellent idea thanks

oh - didnt think to use it as a thickener in soup - always chuck celery in as part of my base stock - excellent idea thanks

There is a chicken soup with celeriac in it in the Family Feasts for a Fiver SW book, and it made rather a thin soup, whereas I prefer thick and chunky soups, so I took out the celeriac and some of the other vegetables, with some of the stock, liquidised it and put it back in and gave it a good stir. Result - thick soup, but still free.

Seems funny to be talking about hot soup in this weather!!!

lol i make at least 1 batch a week regardless of weather, means no slaving over a hot stove :)

Last night i had aubergine, tomato and feta stacks from this months magazine and i could not believe how filling they were.
Aubergine's are not bland but do have a strange texture a bit spongy, they taste of not a lot but when put with basil, tomato and feta they were proper yummy. I would definately have them again.

Back