New York Advice Please :)

If you have time - take a reasonably short subway ride out to Williamsberg (Brooklyn) to get amazing coffee and see all the hipsters in their habitat. The bars are great & generally cheaper than in Manhattan. There are loads of really cool vintage shops... I could go on... it's just such a cool area. Wish I was going again!

I might make a deal with myself to go again when I get to target - so jealous of your trip; it'll be amazing!

Now there is definately a target worth reaching, hows about that for motivation!
Although it was my motivation too but i keep falling off the wagon, probably because it will be cold so will be all wrapped up in big coats, maybe i need my motivation to be somewhere hot lol x

Oh wow, thank you! :)

I think we might leave Niagara this time round from what you say, and we want to visit Canada so may wait until we do that i thinks.
Washington is a def as it is so close, only a couple of hours and couple of hundred bucks for both of us, i think it will be well worth it.

I wish i'd done it all myself now from what people are saving but i will know better for next time! The Virgin guy said to get a cab from JFK to our hotel (Manhattan) what is this Airtrain can i ask please? x

Side note, i have that Cropredy tee too :p guess we went the same year lol

The Airtrain is a train that connects all the terminals in JFK and then heads out towards Queens, depending on where in Manhattan you are staying, you get on the Air train heading for Jamaica Station, you don't pay anything to start, then when you get off at Jamaica there are green ticket machines that you can use and buy a combo ticket for around $12 this pays for your journey on the Air train plus a single fare for the Long Island Railroad into Manhattan Penn Station, there is plenty of luggage space on both trains, the reason you do not pay to get on the air train is that it is free between terminals only.

At Penn station you can either walk to your Hotel or get a cab depending on where it is, ours was W35th Street so we walked, it was crazy when we arrived and so exciting! With wheely suitcases this is so easy!

We saw Wicked, this is one show that is never discounted so if you want that one you need to book before you go from their official sellers on their website, for other shows BroadwayBox.com: free Broadway shows Discount codes for broadway theater tickets is great, write down or print off the code of the show you choose, (only some have discounts) take it to the box office of the theatre you are going to, either the same day or the day before and you can get the tickets and discount no problems, very easy. You can queue up in Times Square for some cheap tickets but this can waste a lot of precious time.

For your Six days the subway 7 day pass would be the best bargain, it breaks even after 13 trips which is easy done! Make sure you visit Greenwich Village, Chinatown, Brooklyn is great as well, Dumbo area which stands for Down underneath the Manhattan Bridge Overpass we also loved all the food on the Lower East Side :rolleyes:

The Pass that was recommended above is a grey area, I did not find it value at all, it is worth if you have time googling individual prices of things and comparing against a list of what you want to see, the museums that they include on the pass are actually pay as you wish anyway so they are not really saving you the entrance fees, you have thee days running around like a blue arsed fly trying to do everything on the pass, the Statue Of Liberty/Ellis Island trip needs a day really and is better if you have a timed ticket for the first boat out, with the pass you end up queuing a lot for it, and having to rush back to do more stuff on the pass, also Ripleys and madame Tussauds are on the pass but have very bad reviews and there is so much more you could be doing that you cannot do here.

This is just the way it worked for us though so you really need to add up a list and see if it works for you.

We have been to lots of Cropredys, we honeymooned there in 2010 :)

We booked ours in the January of last year and went on Sept 27th, I was so excited all year and did loads of research, can you tell lol! I barely slept a wink the night before we finally went!

New York was fab, albeit very very cold (damn hubby for picking February!)

We never made it to DC in the end, barely saw any of New York that wasn't in Midtown or Manhattan. Tiny place but so much to see, we just ran out of time.

My advice would be to plan meticulously that which you definitely want to see and stick to it. We kinda fumbled and went wherever we wanted that day, but due to that, we didn't see as much as we wanted.

We were up at 6am everyday and not getting back to the hotel until 10pm and still wanted to do loads more than we managed!

We did the usual suspects. Empire State, Rockefeller Centre, Met, Statue of Liberty (from a boat as closed after hurricane sandy) 5th Ave, Madison Square Gardens, Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge (again from a boat because it was our last day and we hadnt had a chance to get over there) Broadway, 9/11 Memorial. Lots of other small places whose names elude me right now.

So no Brooklyn, Bronx, Chinatown or any of the surrounding areas :(

It really is true, there is so much to see, you just can't do it on one trip. So I just have to go back lol although maybe at a more pleasant time of year. :p

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond to my question. Your time and effort were very much appreciated xx

I'm so glad you had a nice time & really appreciate you popping back in to let us know how it went. I often reply to threads & then just left wondering what's gone on:D

Before we go on holiday I always prepare an itinerary, I started this when we first went to Florida & it worked, so it's something I do now. It seems a bit odd at first, but at least you know in the morning where you are going & what you are doing, it can save time. I remember the days when we'd spend the best part of a morning deciding what to do!

Back