New york

newstart_2012

Hi everyone,

I'm going to new York with my bf fri for 5 days.

Apart from the normal tourist sites is there anywhere you can recommend?

Restaurants ( I'll be off plan but with healthy choices)
Spa's
Or any places that's a most see or for shopping. In the new York or new jersey area.

Thanks all

You have to go to the memorial gardens - remember to book in advance as its a nitemare to try and get tickets while you are there, or it was last october!

Go up the empire state building, take a look around central park, look in the memorial gardens, go to a pub chain called heartland brewery and try the raspberry cider (yum!), take a boat ride to see the statue of liberty. The husband and I didnt pay for any public transport, we walked everywhere we went. There are some areas I suggest you avoid though - such as China Town, we really didnt feel safe there. We went to a mcdonalds there for lunch the one day we were in new york and the following evening we saw a report on the news that a customer had jumped over the counter and abused the staff with a lead pipe!

Oh and Maddison Sqaure Gardens. We were big WWF fans when we were both children, and to see the location that some of the events took place was amazing!

We were in New York last month and it was great (we got married there!) What time of year are you going as somethings definitely depend on the season. Central park is great in the sunshine, take a picnic or rent a rowing boat on the lake. If its winter, then go ice skating there instead!! I'd definitely recommend going to see a sporting event - Basketball season doesnt really kick off until end Oct/early Nov but youre there then go to MSG to see the Knicks play. We managed to see a baseball game last month, didnt really understand it but what a fantastic atmosphere!!!
If you are into architecture check out the Chrysler building and Grand Central Terminal - stunning. GCT also has a good food hall below it and a posh food deli/market next door.
Make sure you walk over Brooklyn Bridge (best at night) and check out the Manhattan skyline from across the river!! Amazing views - one of my favourite places in New York. To see the Statue of Liberty take the Staten Island Ferry - you get a really good view of the statue from here and best of all its free. It also runs 24 hrs a day so you could also do this at night if you want some great views of the city.
Food wise - try and avoid the mainly touristy places such as Times Square - the food here is average but the prices are sky high. Get off the beaten track and you'll find some gems that are full of locals.
Even though you are dieting, make sure you visit a classic deli like Katz or the Carnegie Deli - they are huge but pretty healthy (depending on what you have on it) They are big enough to share too so do this and you wont feel so guilty!!!! :)

Have a great time!!!!

Back