Newbie - 2nd week and I need some encouragement

libelule

Hi everyone. I'm doing SW EE online from the US as there are no groups in my area. I had a 2lb loss in my first week which I was really pleased with and I'm due to weigh in tomorrow. This morning I had a sneaky jump on the scales and the 2lbs is back despite being 100% on plan this week so far :( I'm also running 2.5 miles 3 x a week right now.

Right now I'm feeling as if I want to quit - I know that's not the right approach but I'm feeling so demoralized.

Deep down I know that it's probably water weight as my period is due Friday but I still feel as if I've worked so hard for 2 weeks for nothing.

Can someone please talk me down off the ledge so that I don't run out and grab a donut or big mac!!! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks for listening.

Firstly, back away from the scales. You should only be weighing in once a week - scale hopping is mentally quite dangerous. Weight fluctuates daily, even hourly, so this mornings reading is not an accurate one. Ignore what it has said, and go off tomorrows true weight.

Secondly, if you have just started exercising you could be retaining water which could then appear as a maintain/gain on the scales. Make sure you up your water significantly.

Don't reach for that donut. What will that do? Will it make you feel better? My guess is no - it will just lead to a vicious circle. You feel down so you eat junk food, which then in turn makes you feel down, so you eat more junk food, etc. etc. etc. You have lost 2lb, which is fantastic! Turning to junk food certainly wont help you to lose weight - in fact, quite the opposite.

Have a little faith in the plan and in yourself. You can do it :)

thank you Princess_Stevie!! I needed a kick up the bum and you gave it to me. I am a notorious scale hopper so I think I will have to hide them and only bring them out once a week. Great advice!

to add to that note - your legs will be holding fluid as they recover from the increase in exercise and most women see an increase (or at least no loss) on a period weigh in. Our cycles are 28 days and a month on plan is the minimum to see the full effects. hang on in there - it really does work!

Also a good idea to google the video of what a pound of fat looks like. There's a facebook page that tells you what different things weigh so you can measure what you've lost. I've lost 18.5lbs which equates to an average housecat (11lbs) and and average newborn (7.5lbs)! Weird to think I've been carrying them around for a few years. Nice to get rid of them though. So 2lbs equates to 2 guinea pigs or an average rack of baby back ribs! Still not insubstantial! If anyone wants to check the link is below. Apologies if it doesn't work. Let me know and I'll try again

http://www.facebook.com/notes/slimm...how-much-weight-you-have-lost/206731752698646

Hey there welcome to the wonderful world of slimming!!
Please don't be too down by the flux in weight, when I first joined I gained my first week and wanted to run for the nearest bag of crisps but I hung on and 3 years later I'm 3 stone lighter!!!

So keep going and make sure your eating enough to keep up with the exercise cause your body will be hunting for food, alway eat in the first half hour- hour after exercising as that's the crucial bit an your body burns more fat recovering. So eat something straight after to help the process and of course drink lots of water!!

Hope you next week is better and never give up cause you are fab for joining slimming world and you will soon be watching the pounds fall away.

Rae xxx

thank you all for being so sweet and talking me through this. I had my official weight in this morning and had stayed the same (this is my * week so I'm ok with that). I feel a lot better and motivated to keep going with the healthy eating and working out. Looking for a loss next week.

thanks again!!

Back