Newbie with no kitchen! Need help!

CharlieJYN

Hi
I have done SW before but find it really difficult to stick to anything as my kitchen facilities are severely limited and my boyfriend's basically non-existent. We generally have takeaway or at the very least a ready meal at his and although I do at least have a two ring hob so can have pasta or rice based meals my working area is tiny and makes preparing anything difficult.
I really want to stick to it this time though and having had a bit of a look on here thought I'd join you lovely people in the hope that with help I can change my eating habits for the better.

Hi Charlie :)
There are lots of things you can make with two rings. Spaghetti Bolognese, noodles, curry, any pastas, salads... You should definitely check out the food diary section here on minimins and you can get ideas from what other people are eating.

How about a slow cooker? Don't need too much space apart from some room to prepare the veg etc and then just whack it all in :) I do most of my meals in it to save time and wouldn't be without it now :)

Have a look for a recipe book based on 'one pot' cooking - or Google for one-pot recipes - as many such recipes are easily adapted to be SW friendly.

If you are a member, SW do (or did) a book called Extra Easy All in One which might help.

An alternative is to use the money you would have spent on takeaways on healthy things which can easily be incorporated into a meal eg buy a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket and a bag of prepared veg which can be boiled or steamed and boil potatoe/rice/pasta alongside. Or buy cold, cooked chicken and add to your sauce but make sure you properly reheat it before serving. You could also precook veg to go in a sauce, cool and store in batches in a fridge or freezer, ready to add to the liquid ingredients later. Or make up batches of a basic tomato sauce which can be turned into a bolognese, or a chilli just by adding a few extra ingredients.

Soup is healthy, filling and only needs one pan.

Maybe think about buying a George foreman grill, they're only about £20 and take up very little room, that way you can have grilled meat/fish/whatever easily.

Back