No pain no gain and gym vs dvd

missjelly

Silver Member
Right, here goes. I have magically become a sort of fitness freak over night. Weird I know! I just wish the scales would echo it.

I've moved out and the freedom/independence is very motivational.

Each day I do 30 mins cardio/strength dvd, 30 mins Wii fit, 30 mins biggest loser Wii and sometimes 50 mins aerobics.

Which brings me to question 1 - is the typical gym workout really so much more beneficial than what I'm doing in my own home for free?

Now my second question. I, like I'm sure a few people here lol, have a jiggly stomach. My level of fitness is not so bad bit when I go to do jumping or impact exercises, my stomach jiggles to the point of muscle pain. But I need the high intensity to burn fat... What I need is a shock absorber bra for my stomach!!

Anyone else find this? How do you get passed it and is it actually bad or just working you more?

Miss Jelly

HOLY S**T woman that sounds like a LOT of exercise to be doing everyday! I mean if it works for you then go for it!
I have to say though a little while back I was doing from 1 hr to 1h 45 mins of cardio everyday and strength training 3 times a week, and I hit a plateau because I was just exercising too much. Once I stopped exercising as much I started losing weight again.
I'm not saying it' sgoing to be the same for you, but it's something to think about.

As for the gym vs. exercise question I think the pros I've heard a lot for going to the gym are that you have access to a much wider variety of equipment, there are usually people there to help you if need be, and it can be motivating because there are other people.
Home/DVD workouts are convenient if you're short on time and/or the gym is far a way. It's also usually cheaper, and some people like the privacy factor.
I personally think you can get just as good a workout at home as you could at the gym, but one or other option is more convienient for some people.

I guess the reason I asked is, I've quite a bit more weight to lose. If the gym will help me achieve that best then I can find ways to continue to afford it. However, if..for now.. my games and dvds will make me thinner even almost as good as the gym then that's 20 quid a month I save for my heating lol!

I didn't think I really did that much!

Plan of the day!

30mins jillian Michaels 30 day shred everyday
30mins Wii fit everyday

30mins biggest loser every other day
Alternated with...
55mins Oz aerobics every other day (or similar video)

I also do a few of the mini workouts you get in all those fitness magazines when I have spare minutes.

And to add a bit here and there during the day, I do silly real life exercises - you know the sort, lunges while queing in Asda, wall push ups while waiting for my tutor to show up, core rotations during the break and heel/toe flexes during the lecture lol.

I've been the same weight ish for 2.5 months and it's really getting to me so I figured I had to try something. My mother and her partner aren't very supportive and try to make me fail and feel bad (constantly calling me fat, I look pregnant, making family dinners as high fat as possible then making me feel bad for opting out and making my own healthier option)

I hoped that moving out would give me the freedom to start losing again but it just ain't happening! Help :( lol

I think it's so easy to go, I want to lose weight therefore must drop as many calories as possible. I think that, being overweight, it's hard to accept that sometimes you need to eat more to lose more. Eating too much becomes scary.

Just for info and any advice, my meal plan! (I love plans lol)

Breakfast - 3 spoons of pays made up with water OR a slice of toast with lf spread. Two glasses of squash, a mug of green tea.

Lunch - half a wholemeal pitta with a tablespoon of lf humous and leaves. Mini Orange and Apple. Bottle of water and bottle of juice, mug of fruit tea.

Dinner - half a piece of deli fish/1 sausage/a burger/pork chop with noodles/pasta/steamed veg OR a jacket potato with tuna mayo/beans and cheese and salad. Two glasses of squash, a mug of milky coffee.

Too much??

I might try increasing my intake a bit but I'm not sure how to. It's hard for me to think of higher calorie foods that are still healthy.

I just wish my weight would go down just a few pounds. It's almost depressing that for nearly three months I've tried eating crap to eating great and barely moving to exercising 24/7 and neither extreme nor anything in between has made a differemce to my weight actually going down. I don't understand it.

Thank you :) I've been having am egg at breakfast and might make my lunch meatier too. I drink about 8 tall glasses of water a day (about 4 ltrs) so hopefully that's alright.

86alpzzyj said:
Oh i've just looked, have you had a gastic band fitted?

hows food and your day been today hun? x

Yea I have - had it since February :)

Mm food... Yesterday was bad. I had, toast and Philadelphia for breakfast. Lunch was half a pitta but I've switched to full fat humous. Dinner, a mini steak burger think with steamed veg and giant couscous :)

This was alright till I slipped up at lunch and had a few chips and the inside of a cheese burger :(

Still working out though so maybe won't make too much difference?

Today will be better though.

Breakfast is toast and Philadelphia.
Lunch is a pitta with humous.
Dinner is jacket potato with beans and cheese.

I'm still thinking about cancelling the gym.. at least for now anyway.

Congrats on your weight loss so far!!

I don't know much about a gastric band so I could be way off here but I definately think for the amount of exercise you do, you need to be eating more food. If you are happy with the size of your meals, maybe you could increase the number of meals you have from 3 to 5 a day?

Back