No to SW on the NHS!

I once asked my sw consultant about the gp referral thing and she told me that they don't do it in scotland. I went to gp about my weight after my baby was born in Feb 08 and they referred me to the Glasgow Weight managment service. After a year waiting i finally got an appointment with the dietician and she said she would only refer me on to the weightloss groups when i have seen the psychologist. Ha July 09 and i'm still waiting to see the psychologist. So when i think about it in that year and a half i could have lost all my weight!!!

I think it just depends on your local NHS and their finances x

At my doctors, they only refer to WW, my friend at work sarah went to see her doc who said she was over weight, she was then sent to see the nurse who advised her the clinic would give her WW vouchers so she didnt have to pay as the doctor was concerned about her weight and over all health (Sarah wasnt really that bother about her weight)
So I'm doing SW and Sarah is doing WW, all is good, we are supporting each other.
Leah over hears that Sarah doesnt have to pay - and decides she wants in too.

This is when it starts to get to me, we all know she can afford to pay, but still she goes and gets her vouches from the docs.
She is one of these people that has to be one better then everybody else, it has ended up that Sarah cannot stand the compertition Leah has put up that she has given up losing weight!!!

I know if Leah hadnt jumped on the wagon and rubbed it in her face so much, Sarah would still be loosing weight!

It frustrates me that some of you cant get the help you need from the GP's and there is Leah who is just taking the P***!!!!

Sorry to rant ladies :)
Xxx

Last edited:
Exactly, there are always going to be those who take the michael out of a system that's there to help people who really need it. People like that just seem to always want to better everyone else and that's fine if that's what they want to do but to use precious resources to do it is just wrong. Totally get you on that!

i agree with Kazpeza but we have already covered this on another thread, i don't agree with certain pcts offering it and not others thats just unfair , i think the nhs really needs to sort this problem, i had this discussion with a few of the other ladies from the forum and i see how in the long run it is beneficial if it means people aren going to get gastric bands or have to take xenicol etc but how do you decide who pays for it and who doesn't. Just because my bmi is less than 30 does it mean i have to pay ? what happens after the 12 weeks if you have no money ? i applaud anyone trying to help themselves but i think the real issue here is long term prevention how many of us come off and on diets year in year out 12 weeks out of someones life, they need to start there own councelling anhd food workshops i don't even think it should be paid for by the nhs i think it should be a council run enterprise, maybe run by volunteers go for a weigh in discuss diet tips , you can pick up how to do slimming world on any internet forum and i probably get more help here than anywere.. sorry to sound preachy ladies i'll get down off my soap box lol and i'm just throwing ideas around here not my set in stone opiniondoes anyone else have suggestions ???

Iv read through, and dont have much to say.. other than im sorry about the silly situation ir in hun andhope u sort somthing soon..

but i think it just goes to show, for every 1 person who doesnt get the free 12 weeks, theres someone else out there who can afford it, who jumped on the bandwagon leaving less fuhnding for those who cant. Life is just **** like that sometimes! so i can kinda see why they only cover certain places etc and have silly rules and exceptions cause otherwise we'd all be getting it free.. I do hope they give in and cover u tho hunny! X

slowly creeps in removes the soap box and sneeks back out again before i cause a rumble he he

Anyway good luck for you trying hunny i really mean it even if i dont agree that the nhs should fund

haha your not causing a rumble hon i love this forum and i don't really care if people have a differing opinion to me , were all here for support and we all fully offer that as long as people are being respectful it's fine lol

That's a very good point Fern. I had to 'beg' DH to let me go to meetings. I've just finished my PGCE (teacher training) and my bursary payments have stopped, but I won't receive my first salary till the end of Sept so money is VERY tight. Not available on the NHS for me :(

Back