Not CD Related.....

I agree wholeheartedly with the proposal. I did a case once for the family of a 23 year-old girl who died because there was not a suitable liver available for transplant in time, and she died, fully aware until near the end of what was happening to her. It was over the Easter Weekend and the hospital was optimistic of getting one in time as there are always more RTAs over holiday weekends - but it didnt work out. If these proposals had been the law then, she probably would have got a match and would have survived and would be celebrating her 30th birthday about now.... Imagine it was your sister/daughter/mother/you in that position - I dont see how anyone can think this proposal is a bad idea ... and anyway, I think Human Rights have gone a bit far ;).... eg what do you think of prisoners in Scotland being paid thousands of pounds (of taxpayers money!) for the "indignity" of having to "slop out"!? If someone asked me to pursue a case for them for that I'd refuse ... anyway, sorry to go on ....:eek:

Not sure if other people know but you can register as a donor with Boots & theres a little sign on the back of your advantage card which says you're a donor. Quite a good idea as people will register for points & freebies who maybe wouldn't be bothered to register as a donor normally.

... anyway, sorry to go on ....:eek:
No NO...please do go on.
Not sure if other people know but you can register as a donor with Boots & theres a little sign on the back of your advantage card which says you're a donor. Quite a good idea as people will register for points & freebies who maybe wouldn't be bothered to register as a donor normally.
Didn't know that. Well done Boots.perhaps they ought to make it higher profile.

organ donation...

is the right thing to do in my opinion! I think the government has the best idea (for once). Our bodies are no longer any good to us or our families and friends when we are dead, its just a shell. To give something from ourselves that could in fact save lives has got to be good! I personally cannot understand why anyone would NOT want to donate their organs? Death is obviously devestating, why not make something good out of something so bad. Save people's lives! I think if you are religious u surely want to help others?

Ok I'm going to give the religious views...

Most religions say it is ok or even a good thing. There are however a few teachings, particularly in Islam which state that the person that makes the donation must be dead & that no profit is made from the donation. (So you couldn't buy a kidney from a desperate poor person)

The main exception is Jehovah's Witnesses where it is a matter of personal conscience & they carry some kind of certification giving their personal view. If they do give/recieve donations then they must be drained of blood first as the Bible says 'We must abstain from blood' (in Acts I think.)

There is one of the Japanese religions (Shinto maybe, but don't hold me to it!) that says that the dead body is dangerous & that organ donation can interfere with the relationship between the family & the dead person.

Get me!! Didn't know my brain actually worked in the summer holidays!

Back