Not losing weight???!!!!

lucylockett

This seems a ridiculous question but why am I struggling to lose weight on cd??? I am on soul source x 3 shakes & sticking to it religiously plus I am drinking between 3-4 litres of water a day & have only drank green tea or peppermint tea. My first official weigh in I lost 4lbs (after 4 days of cd) - ok nothing amazing but I thought 1lb a day I can live with that & maybe once I did a full week I would start to see the amazing results everyone has... Anyway 5 days into week 2 & I have so far only lost 1lb :/( I can't even describe how I feel - sad, angry, hurt, shocked etc etc. Has anyone else experienced this or should I just give up now????

Hi Lucy sorry you are not experiencing the expected losses. I would say that the info I'm about to post below helped me so much in first month- read it and realise your body WILL catch up with it and by eating now you would just be telling it it was doing the right thing to not lose weight;

In the first week of a VLCD you could lose a tremendous amount of weight, this can be seen daily on the scale, dropping 1-2 or even 3lb each day. Although encouraging and this makes you feel immediately lighter - this is not a true fat loss. This is mainly due to an empty stomach, water, and stool release.

Your true fat loss will come after day 4 when you are in Ketosis (fat burning) and the only way you can put this lost fat back on is to over consume food, carbs and sugar mainly. Your weight in the first weeks should be great and dependant on how much you need to lose, age, dieting history etc it can range from 7lb to 1stone for some clients, (the biggest loss we have recorded is 23lbs for a gentleman who was over 30stone). After this in your second week it is normal to expect to shed at least half the weight loss again, and therefore the first two week are generally a great kick start to your journey. This is one reason it is recommended to follow a VLCD plan for a minimum of 1 month.

The weeks that follow should bring a weight loss of approximately 3-4lb for most ladies and a little more for men. This generally averages out to 1stone each month and is a good bench mark for your weight loss, (if continuously lower it is worth checking your plan to ensure you are in ketosis, and not over measuring foods). Weight loss on any programme can plateau and we generally find a small loss in week 3, the body tends to think there is something wrong due to the great weight loss and may pause for a little, if this happens just continue and it should correct itself for week 4. The worst thing to do is give up or eat as this just confirms to the body that it was right to pause.

The figure of 3-4lb is quite scientific and I will try to explain - for each pound of fat you lose you need to consume 3,500 calories less than your body requires, using the concept of a VLCD of around 500kcal over a week you consume 3,500kcals. The average ladies requires 14000kcal per week / the average man 17500kcal you are therefore just over 10000kcal short of your body's energy requirement and this should bring a weight reduction of 3lb each week. Add to this the structure of the diet, ie Ketosis, Low Carb, Low Sugar etc you generally find that you can lose extra as well, especially if you can drink plenty of regular water. 3- 4 Litres of water (this must be steady through the day and not all in one go !!!)

Hope this has helped... remember if you step on the scales they can go up or down some days, dependant on water retention, stools, body temperature, time of the month and others, a weekly weight is a better idea & always remember when you feel so down that you may cave, it is scientifically impossible not to lose weight on a diet of around 500kcal - 800kcal - Both are considered a VLCD - if staying the same or not losing there is always, always another reason or the body is just resting for a short while to catch up with itself,

The first month is so very hard, but you do really need to stick in there for one month to see the results. We all think that as we are not eating, the weight will drop off. Everyones Metabolic burn rate is different and generally after the first two weeks a 3-4lb is to be expected compared to a 1-2lb following conventional diet programmes. It is natural to want it to happen now and straight away, but we do need to let nature take it's natural course, your body to convert to fat burning, stop panicing and settle down into the programme, this all happens in the first month. One stone per month weight loss is the general amount most clients can expect to shed, sometimes a little more in the first month, so if you lose more than 14lb in one month it should be counted as a bonus

X

Thanks ever so much for your response Lara x really very much appreciated :) I did manage to speak to my CDC earlier & she has virtually said exactly the same as you x I have therefore decided to stick to ss for 1 whole month & see the outcome - if it's good I'll continue & if not I think it will be a trip to the docs to see what's going on with my body lol x fingers crossed though that it all evens out in the end & it somehow all catches up :) x thanks again x

I hope so keep us posted :)

I will do x thanks again xx

i only had 5.5lbs in my first 9 days - some people just do have a slower start, i like to hope it's because i didn't have much waterweight/glycogen, and that my glycogen gain at the end won't be too bad.

are you particularly active? i know of people with low losses who have had them because their lifestyles were too active for the calorie intake, and their body had gone into shock.

Thanks Spangles - it's made me feel better to know I'm not the only slow starter & WOW your overall losses are amazing you sure did catch up! You must be so proud & happy with yourself :). I would be over the moon with those losses! I've promised myself I will stick to it 100% for a whole month & see what happens - hopefully I will catch up.... I'm not over active - have a desk job so its definately not that reason x thanks again :/) much appreciated

How active is too active??
I think your bored can panic it isnt getting enough and hold on to everything but as it adjust you then start to lose the weight - keep going and be postive at it will happen! Good luck x

Hey, just read ur post...im just about to start the CD, so cant really give you any advice, but wanted to cheer u om,,, im sure if u keep it up like the others have said your body will catchup with itself and ur weightloss will pick up.... give yourself a good shot at it before giving up !! Best of luck to u xx

CWP say people on the go all day like nurses and cabin crew shouldn't do SS. That would be too active.

Hey everyone! I'm also having the same problems you all had! I'm on day 12 and so far i've only lost 8lbs in those days! I'm morbidly obese at 20st6 (now 19st12) so it should be falling off me by now! Im not SS three shakes a day and Am like a resevoir with drinking 3 liters or more! I've done Atkins in the past and lost more than this despite eating more! I'm hoping if I give it a month like you all did I'll see some better losses!

Did your losses improve when you waited or did they say the same?

Hi Folks,

just had my week 2 weigh in and have only lost 5lb in total! I am very disappointed but will not give in!! I have lost 3 inches off my waist so im pleased with that!

Don't give up guys, this diet does work, it might just be your body in shock and trying to hold onto everything it has, you should lose about 3lbs a week (some people have huge initial losses as you are retaining fluid, infact the 'proper' loses are though with lower numbers normally (I lost 11lbs in my first week, holding mental amounts of water). Don't get disheartend :)

I'm in the same boat. First 4 days 4lb...so water. Then 6lb. So 10lb first week. 2nd week a GAIN of nearly 3lb how the hell is that possible on a vlcd, totm or not! I lost more than that at ww, eating 1000kl more!

This week 3lb off, great a 1lb net loss in 2.2 weeks...I've been on it 4 weeks today and have a net loss of 10lb which I lost at the beginning. 40 pound a week to see no extra benefit than if I'd have stayed on ww, and been able to eat more, not rain off every jubilee party I'd been invited too :mad:

For me I don't think CDC is working, I do t know why. Maybe activity has some thing to do with it, I run around after 4 young kids day and night...so maybe something in that theory.

I would probably feel the same if I had only lost that much at the beginning but after the first few weeks I have only been losing 10-11lbs every 4 weeks. I was on a low cal diet last year and only losing about 4-6lbs per month so I am happy with CD. A stone a month is just an average figure - a lot of us are losing less. I would give it another couple of weeks before making any decision.

Is anyone still around ? How did you get on in the end ? I'm on first week and don't think I'm losing weight at min . Lost inches though . Weigh in tommorrow xx

How did it go, NicD?

Hi Lucy, I too had the not losing stage on CD and in fact appeared to have gained 5 pounds overnight, then the next day I got on the scales, the 5 pounds had gone taking another 3 with it, I think it was a combination of weighing at a different time of day, wearing different clothes, the scales being on a different surface and water weight fluctuations. I am having a second gain at the moment despite not having cheated since I started on 23rd July....What I realise however is I am on target to lose a stone a month which is what I was told to expect so I should refrain from weighing myself so frequently. Everyone at work has noticed my weight loss, my son and his girlfriend now say "hello slimmy (not slimey!)" and the security guard at my local Tesco said "everytime I see you your getting smaller and smaller and so fast!"...so whatever my scales tell me, its irrelevant I am on a downward trend and a fast one, I dont beleive anyone can actually gain on 600 cals a day (plus I walk 15000 steps a day!) but I have suffered with bouts of constipation and I have had sleeping problems which I think have also contributed to messing up the reading on the scales.

I will be at my target by Christmas and my holiday if I keep on and I intend too...so please take heart in the fact that you wont be really gaining weight its just your scales being mean and lying to you x

Hi Lucy, I too had the not losing stage on CD and in fact appeared to have gained 5 pounds overnight, then the next day I got on the scales, the 5 pounds had gone taking another 3 with it, I think it was a combination of weighing at a different time of day, wearing different clothes, the scales being on a different surface and water weight fluctuations. I am having a second gain at the moment despite not having cheated since I started on 23rd July....What I realise however is I am on target to lose a stone a month which is what I was told to expect so I should refrain from weighing myself so frequently. Everyone at work has noticed my weight loss, my son and his girlfriend now say "hello slimmy (not slimey!)" and the security guard at my local Tesco said "everytime I see you your getting smaller and smaller and so fast!"...so whatever my scales tell me, its irrelevant I am on a downward trend and a fast one, I dont beleive anyone can actually gain on 600 cals a day (plus I walk 15000 steps a day!) but I have suffered with bouts of constipation and I have had sleeping problems which I think have also contributed to messing up the reading on the scales.

I will be at my target by Christmas and my holiday if I keep on and I intend too...so please take heart in the fact that you wont be really gaining weight its just your scales being mean and lying to you x
Good post:classic_smile:

Reactions: jfc
Back