Nursing

Clareel said:
Hey Jo I know it might be different at different collages/uni etc but I had nothing like this when I started my degree! I wasn't weighed or asked my weight, plus there's a few girls on my course who are 'bigger' (don't want to sound rude there) and they haven't had a problem. Our uniforms come in size 6-28 but that may be different elsewhere X

Thanks hun-that makes me feel alot better about it all-yes I know I need to lose weight, but I will do it for me-not because some outdated chart tells me I have to-it has no bearing on my abilities at all :(

There is no way they can use BMI to determine who gets onto an educational course. The armed forces maybe but not nursing or medicine. If you still want to do nursing after the hell you've been through with trying to get on the course then go for it and if they come out with any such crap go straight to the papers/your MP etc etc.

When I applied to my nursing course 10 years ago I had to have occy health clearance. They were not happy with my weight and wanted to review me in 3 mths before signing me off as fit for the course. I was on ww at the time so it was fine. I was raging tho when I actually started my course and there where much bigger people there and occy health didn't review them!

The long and short is the NHS will not discriminate against you because of your weight but overweight and working long days on hot wards can be uncomfy :(

I had to have occupation health clearance as well but there was nothing asked about my weight or even anything like drinking/smoking. It was all just whether I'd had my vaccinations etc and you were only asked to declare any illnesses (e.g. ME, depression, diabetes) if you felt that it might impact on your training.

I really don't think anything is a problem unless it's going to stop you from carrying out what's expected of you as a student.

As I said before my uni might be different but I don't think anywhere can turn you away because of your weight as that's discrimination!

That's awful if they've told you that, you should report them for that, it's discrimination. I was the same weight as you when I started my nursing!
Also to do HCA work you don't need any experience, on my ward we always get new people who have never done it before and are brand new with no experience, you should go for it :)

missemma said:
That's awful if they've told you that, you should report them for that, it's discrimination. I was the same weight as you when I started my nursing!
Also to do HCA work you don't need any experience, on my ward we always get new people who have never done it before and are brand new with no experience, you should go for it :)

What's hca work? I'm a home carer! I'm starting to wonder if there is some greater force in play trying to stop me going into nursing to be honest

Back