Nursing

who_la_hoop said:
From the NHS website:

So I wouldn't give up! Sounds like you'll get your tuition paid and a £1000 per year grant - then you might get some extra from the means-tested bit. (And I presume that if you weren't living at home then all/the majority of the bursary would go on food & rent anyway.)

Thanks. That helps a bit :) My biggest issue is that altho im 33, I am going to be living at mum and dads, but will continue to buy all my own food and pay for myself(as I do now) but I've been told that the means testing will be based on their earnings, so I'm screwed :(

Thanks. That helps a bit :) My biggest issue is that altho im 33, I am going to be living at mum and dads, but will continue to buy all my own food and pay for myself(as I do now) but I've been told that the means testing will be based on their earnings, so I'm screwed :(

if you can show financial emancipation, ie paying your own way etc then you should be able to claim, if your paying rent to your parents they are not finacially responsible.
are you planning to work while doing the course lots of students work for nhsp as support carers to help pay there way also are you not able to claim student loans

hope you can find a way xxxxx

broadsbean said:
if you can show financial emancipation, ie paying your own way etc then you should be able to claim, if your paying rent to your parents they are not finacially responsible.
are you planning to work while doing the course lots of students work for nhsp as support carers to help pay there way also are you not able to claim student loans

hope you can find a way xxxxx

Thanks. I was planning on working yeah-what is nhsp please xx

Welshtigger said:
Thanks, altho it is ridiculous, that altho I live at my parents address I pay for myself, yet I'm going to be penalised! I'm 33, and they've offered to let me stay there till I Finish uni, yet because I live there, I'm probably not going to able to afford to go to uni!!!!!!

I'm in Scotland which might be different, also nursing bursaries are totally separate from the funding I get, but living at my parents doesn't matter, I get funding because I'm classed as independent and worked full time for more than 3 years. Surely you're entitled to something? :(

evilpenguin said:
I'm in Scotland which might be different, also nursing bursaries are totally separate from the funding I get, but living at my parents doesn't matter, I get funding because I'm classed as independent and worked full time for more than 3 years. Surely you're entitled to something? :(

Really hope so! I'm going to the uni open day, but it's not til July! Going to try and find out as much as I can xx

Thanks. I was planning on working yeah-what is nhsp please xx

nhsp = nhs professionals, its the nhs's own nurse bank/agency you can work for them from your 2nd yr.
you can join the pension scheme and you get holiday pay.

although if you have 6 months experience in a care home/ home care setting they may take you sooner

NHS Professionals - flexible and temporary NHS jobs in the UK

have a look and see if they are any help job wise. certainly from your 2nd yr they are a fab way of getting experience xx

broadsbean said:
nhsp = nhs professionals, its the nhs's own nurse bank/agency you can work for them from your 2nd yr.
you can join the pension scheme and you get holiday pay.

although if you have 6 months experience in a care home/ home care setting they may take you sooner

NHS Professionals - flexible and temporary NHS jobs in the UK

have a look and see if they are any help job wise. certainly from your 2nd yr they are a fab way of getting experience xx

Oooh thanks for that! I have nearly 2 years of dom care experience, plus whatever else I do between now and uni! :) xx

Welshtigger said:
Oooh thanks for that! I have nearly 2 years of dom care experience, plus whatever else I do between now and uni! :) xx

Have just looked at that nhsp link, and they don't seem to offer anything in Wales-everything that came up with my postcode is atleast 39miles away, and in england!!! Oh all these silly obstacles eh!!! xx

Well things have taken a turn for the better. After being messed around by my local college re the access course, I was beginning to lose hope, but the college in Rhyl(which is about 15 miles away) have given me a place for September :) so am really pleased. They will also help me find funding for uni which is brilliant :D

Well things have taken a turn for the better. After being messed around by my local college re the access course, I was beginning to lose hope, but the college in Rhyl(which is about 15 miles away) have given me a place for September :) so am really pleased. They will also help me find funding for uni which is brilliant :D

Wow that's excellent news.

I've only just picked up this thread, don't know how I missed it last year but heyho.

A friend of mine started to study nursing as a mature student & said it's the best thing she ever did, she loves it.

I'm very excited for you:D

Congrats - so glad things are working out - it is a crying shame the hoops they make people jump through to get in to nursing/midwifery and then have the dam cheek to say we don't have enough nurses and midwifes - well stop making it so damn hard for people who want to do the profession to get in! Am sure you will love your course - loads of our most recent batch of student midwifes up here in glasgow were older than me (34) having had families etc then decided to get in to the career. all the best chick!

that's brilliant, i am so pleased for you xxxx

i have never regretted being a nurse hate the politics but love the job not many people can say that after 25 yrs :D:D

broadsbean said:
that's brilliant, i am so pleased for you xxxx

i have never regretted being a nurse hate the politics but love the job not many people can say that after 25 yrs :D:D

Me to though I'm 30 yrs:-/ in the job from my training!!!

Me to though I'm 30 yrs:-/ in the job from my training!!!

snap, started 10 days after my 18th birthday and have been doing it ever since :D
get days when i think i must be insane and then i will make a difference to somebodies life and remember why i love it :D:D

I learn something new nearly every day and can never say I am bored xxxx

what field do you work in acc

Glad to find others on ere with same job as myself! Been nursing nearly 5 years and love my job

Not going to be doing nursing now after all. Due to work commitments, at the Olympics, it would mean me missing a few weeks of my access course and the college have refused to let me start late! So bang go my dreams!!!

Back