Nursing

Not going to be doing nursing now after all. Due to work commitments, at the Olympics, it would mean me missing a few weeks of my access course and the college have refused to let me start late! So bang go my dreams!!!

its not bang goes my dreams, you got on the access course for this year you can do it for next year :D

are there no distance learning courses that you could do, maybe with the open university ? you are young and have lots of time ahead of you. don't give up cos chasing your dreams is so worth it xxxxxx

W T don't give up,you will do it,if not this year next. Have you thought about being a HCA in a hospital and get seconded to nurse training,my friend was in her late forties when she did her training!!!!! Xx

acc said:
W T don't give up,you will do it,if not this year next. Have you thought about being a HCA in a hospital and get seconded to nurse training,my friend was in her late forties when she did her training!!!!! Xx

I can't get a job in the hospital as they only accept applications from people already employed by the health board!! So it's a catch 22! U need to already work for them to apply for it, but u cant get work without applying-if that makes sense

What about volunteering at the hospital? Our local one is always looking for volunteers to help out on the wards etc, and that can lead to work and training. Just a thought, if things dont go the way you hoped.

IMO I think it's worth postponing until next year, just think how quickly time has passed since last year, just think how will you feel when this time next year you're still doing the same thing, still wishing you'd gone into nursing, honestly you're only young & our working life is sooooooooooooo long you need to do something you enjoy.

Go for it next year, you'll be so happy you waited:D

Live your dream, you're worth it.

Happy Holidays said:
IMO I think it's worth postponing until next year, just think how quickly time has passed since last year, just think how will you feel when this time next year you're still doing the same thing, still wishing you'd gone into nursing, honestly you're only young & our working life is sooooooooooooo long you need to do something you enjoy.

Go for it next year, you'll be so happy you waited:D

Live your dream, you're worth it.

I'm not that young tho-I'm nearly 34, and to go back into education for 4 years, at this stage of my life, is a huge thing! I'm not married yet or got kids, so by waiting even longer to study reduces the chance of this ever happening :( I'm not wanting to put my life on hold too much longer

i think the problem jo is that the health trusts are just not taking on as they are most definetly cutting staffing levels. jobs in our trust are always put out internal applications only at the moment.

34 is not old !!!!!!! i understand where you are coming from about the whole kids and marraige thing but remember times are changing, the government want us all to work till were 70 so you have plenty of time to do it all :D

Happy Holidays said:
34 isn't old, you've another 30 working years ahead of you, yikes, that's a long time:eek:

I know it's not old-my issue is the children thing! If I wait another 5 years I'll be too old to have children :(

Well the tutor emailed back and has said that she will not be letting me do the course at all-as I obviously am unable to prioritise! I am soooo angry! And now frantically trying to work out what direction I can take my life :(

Last edited:
In which case I would DEFINITELY be going above her head with a very stern letter of complaint. You have nothing to lose now. She's being pigheaded AND costing the college money. Even if it amounts to nothing, you should find out who her superior is and go see them or write to them.

MadameLaMinx said:
In which case I would DEFINITELY be going above her head with a very stern letter of complaint. You have nothing to lose now. She's being pigheaded AND costing the college money. Even if it amounts to nothing, you should find out who her superior is and go see them or write to them.

Yeah I'm seriously considering it. Trying to find another course to do in September to keep my brain ticking over

Leapfrog said:
I agree with Minxy. Priorities indeed. Do these people live in the real world where you have to work to earn money to pay for your studies?

No I dont think they do! I clearly explained that doing this job over the summer, will go a huge way to allowing me to give up full time employment for 4 years, and study! But nope!! :(

Welshtigger said:
No I dont think they do! I clearly explained that doing this job over the summer, will go a huge way to allowing me to give up full time employment for 4 years, and study! But nope!! :(

Get your MP involved too they asked for people to work the Olympics surely Not everyone had a private income!!!!!

Just wanted a bit more advice-I've now been told i wouldn't be able to do the access course as my bmi is too high to do nursing! Does anyone know anything about this?? Thanks xx

WTF !!!!!!!! excuse my french but how ridiculous is that !!!! if they applied that criteria to the current nurses they would lose about a third of the work force !!!!!!! If you threw alcohol and smoking in to the mix there would be none left !!!!!

As a profession we are facing a huge recruitment crisis and they are turning people down for such stupid reasons, apart from last years little blip i have an above average attendence record and have worked in the profession with a high bmi for 23 yrs so what are they basing there decision on?
I think this should be classed as some sort of discrimination, and i think i would investigate it further if i was you, i know nurses who are diabetic, epileptic and have long term medical conditions so what is the difference ?

appeal, and fight it all the way xxx i would be very interested to see how this pans out

broadsbean said:
WTF !!!!!!!! excuse my french but how ridiculous is that !!!! if they applied that criteria to the current nurses they would lose about a third of the work force !!!!!!! If you threw alcohol and smoking in to the mix there would be none left !!!!!

As a profession we are facing a huge recruitment crisis and they are turning people down for such stupid reasons, apart from last years little blip i have an above average attendence record and have worked in the profession with a high bmi for 23 yrs so what are they basing there decision on?
I think this should be classed as some sort of discrimination, and i think i would investigate it further if i was you, i know nurses who are diabetic, epileptic and have long term medical conditions so what is the difference ?

appeal, and fight it all the way xxx i would be very interested to see how this pans out

I've been told my bmi needs to be lower than 30-which means I need to lose about 6 stone :( x

Have just txt my cousin who did her degree a couple of years ago and she said its a load of tosh!! And she asked around in work and no one else had heard it either so that's a relief!! x

Just wanted a bit more advice-I've now been told i wouldn't be able to do the access course as my bmi is too high to do nursing! Does anyone know anything about this?? Thanks xx

Have just txt my cousin who did her degree a couple of years ago and she said its a load of tosh!! And she asked around in work and no one else had heard it either so that's a relief!! x

Hey Jo I know it might be different at different collages/uni etc but I had nothing like this when I started my degree! I wasn't weighed or asked my weight, plus there's a few girls on my course who are 'bigger' (don't want to sound rude there) and they haven't had a problem. Our uniforms come in size 6-28 but that may be different elsewhere X

Back