O/T any advice would be appreciated

Mrs V

Loves Life!
Hi all,

Some colleagues of mine at work have been asking around the office today about volunteers to complete the 3 Peaks Challenge next March. This involves a walk up Ben Nevis, Snowdon and Scafell Pike within 24 hours.
I was not encouraged to join and when I suggested that I would like to, they looked at me in shock, horror and bemusement.

Ok, the reason for this post. This challenge will take place in March next year. Can anyone advise me on some kind of programme that I can take up that would help me complete this task and wipe that smug smile off their faces???

I have also posted in the Fitness section of this site, but wondered if any of you lovely people had some advice too.

Thank you in advance!

Kerry-Ann

Hi -

First of all - what nasties! Don't judge a book by it's cover - ever! If Chris Moyles can climb Kilimanjaro anyone of us can try the mountains in the UK etc too.

I live in the Lakes and do a fair bit of fell walking (and I am still classed as overweight by BMI). What I would recommend is that you start doing some walks. Start flat and build up so you're doing more milage etc. But you will need some walking 'up' experience as it's that which gets me everytime. Maybe start on a treadmill on a slope, but you do need to do some hills too. Do you live near anything hilly? Or could you weekend in the Lakes or Peak District etc? If you wanted some advice on the Lakes I can say which to start with etc :)

It is a lot to do in 24hours of walking time but with training, good gear and diet you can do it.

Don't let them beat you hun - show them you can do it, cause YOU CAN xxx

I think Hellie's OH is doing it this weekend so she might be able to give you a better idea. My cousin has been doing this challenge as past 2 years ~ he is 54 and does do a serious amount of training for it. He gets up at 5ish to do a 10 mile hilly walk before going into work. He also does spinning and goes to the gym. People keep telling him he is mad but he says that the buzz you get from completing it is unbelievable! Sorry I can't be of more help Mrs V but if it is something you would like to do then go for it!! xx

Thanks Huni...Im used to walking hills and mountains, Im welsh, just havent lived there for a few years now.
Im just so angry with the silenced assumption that becasue of my size I wouldnt be able to do it...what ever happened to a "team effort?"

I think Hellie's OH is doing it this weekend so she might be able to give you a better idea. My cousin has been doing this challenge as past 2 years ~ he is 54 and does do a serious amount of training for it. He gets up at 5ish to do a 10 mile hilly walk before going into work. He also does spinning and goes to the gym. People keep telling him he is mad but he says that the buzz you get from completing it is unbelievable! Sorry I can't be of more help Mrs V but if it is something you would like to do then go for it!! xx

Any advice is taken on board and appreciated Huni, so thankyou.

Hello!

Yep, Ed's up Ben Nevis at the moment. Then he's travelling down to do Scafell first thing tomorrow morning, followed by Snowdon in the afternoon/evening.

He's pretty fit anyway as he cycles to work every day and has done for years. He's done a few training walks up Scafell and Snowdon (we live in manchester and it's not too far from either).

Sticky's advice is really good. You definitely need to build up your 'hill walking' muscles. As you're used to the hills, then it will just be a case of re-acquainting them with the slopes.
General fitness is good, but you'll need to get some practice on some serious hills.

It's a fair old challenge and I don't think I would attempt it (I'm a wuss!)...but I think it's a fantastic thing for you to aim for and would give you some great motivation. March is a tricky time of year as the weather will probably be challenging, but it gives you 8 months to train and I am sure you can do it :D

You go for it hun and show them rotters in the office. How awfull of them to react like that. My hubby is no lightweight and he just took the bull by the horns after watching Wainwrights walks on the telly and started walking the hills in the lakes. He started with the smaller ones first but said they weren't as bad as he expected, he just took his time. He's only been doing it 12 months and he's fine with any of them now. Just take your time and don't push too hard too soon. Good luck xx

Back