Oats so Simple

Caroline82

Am I right in thinking the satchets aren't healthy extra's? I started Monday and had them for 2 days but after reading up on them it looks like they are 5 syns each :confused:. Im gutted really as Id done really well and feel that if they are syns I've wasted them! I've been sticking to weetabix the last couple of days as I know Im safe there! I keep buying the wrong Ryvita's too, still a bit unsure which you can have!:confused: xx

The plain sachets of Oatsosimple are a HEB, the flavoured ones are.

I have a plain oats so simple packet every morning and use it as my hx B. You can have it as a hx B although you are supposed to have 1 scan bran with it I believe - I cannot afford scan bran too and therefore I have never had it. Can't say it has ever affected my weight losses (when i've gained its because i've eaten bad things all week lol), but I am unsure what the official word on it is...

I remember seeing a similar thread somewhere on here - think it was because I searched as I was having the same issue - and there was a bit of a debate on the ryvita/scanbran issue.

Bare in mind I've only been doing slimming world five weeks - but I've put a diary in every week and my consultant says I've been doing fine- my understanding (and what I've been doing)is this:

Oatso simple sachets in original only count as PART of your HEb. Your allowed 28g of porridge oats and the sachets are 27g. Any of the flavoured ones have to be synned. (I add a teaspoon of Golden Syrup to mine, a tablespoon is about 2 syns i believe) - another tip is to get used to it with water, (and maybe just a dash of milk), so your not using up your HEa just on milk.

The other part of your HEb is your ryvita or scanbran. Now the debte im referring to is that some people on here were saying you have to have the ryvita in order to count the porridge as your HEb, if not you have to syn it.Other people say this is not the case and if you choose not to have it thats ok.

I've done both. Some days I've had the ryvita as part o my lunch, but most days I don't and my consultant has told me thats fine. But if you look at one of the sticky threads on the main page for newbies at Slimming World, a big thing is that everyone's body is differnt and will respond differently. I'd say see how your losses go and speak to your consultant too and check with them.

Good luck :)

Thanks for your help x

Jenny I'll ask my consultant tomorrow, thanks x

Hey Caroline did you manage to speak to your consultant? Just curious as to what she said x

The SW website, under the FAQ's, states that you do not have to eat all of your HEX.
Not eating it will not affect your weight loss, however, the scan bran/ryvita is there to make the porridge oats have enough fibre to warrant it being a B choice.

I would say the vast majority do not have the scan bran - although I crumble mine into my porridge for added bulk!

Yep that was my understanding Jay.
I much prefer syrup in my porridge to scan bran though lol

My consultant told us that if you don't have all of a HEX then you have to syn whatever you do have eg if you only have the porridge and no scan bran then syn the porridge. Sounds completely mental to me personally but then a lot of SW is counter intuitive, like bring able to eat as much as you need to of 90% of food, having the odd day off for a special occasion. It feels like this should be harder and less fulfilling!

My consultant told us that if you don't have all of a HEX then you have to syn whatever you do have eg if you only have the porridge and no scan bran then syn the porridge. Sounds completely mental to me personally but then a lot of SW is counter intuitive, like bring able to eat as much as you need to of 90% of food, having the odd day off for a special occasion. It feels like this should be harder and less fulfilling!

I'd politely suggest that you advise your consultant to read the slimming world books again as has been pointed out on this thread and elsewhere on the forum time and again, that isnt the case!

As Jaylou says : "The SW website, under the FAQ's, states that you do not have to eat all of your HEX."
This is the quote word for word from the website in the FAQs section:

Q. Do I have to eat all my Healthy Extras every day?

A. It won't affect your weight loss if you don't take all your Healthy Extra choices. However, the Healthy Extra section is there to ensure a balanced diet, so from a health point of view we recommend you enjoy all your Healthy Extras each day.

Now I dont know about you, but I don't see anything in there about synning your healthy extra if you've left a bit out, so I will continue to eat my magic porridge without adding a scan bran to it. I will also split my HEXs any way I like and will not suffer a breakdown if I only eat 35g of reduced fat cheese, or 200ml of skimmed milk!

The healthy extras are a measured amount so that you dont go utterly overboard with them. There needs to be some control, but losing weight is not an exact science - we arent mixing complex chemical compounds here - just trying to do things a little better than we might have before. If you make it too complicated, it just becomes too difficult to follow - SW are doing their best to make it flexible, I just think sometimes people stress a little too much about getting it exactly right.

And it really does bother me just how much some consultants seem to get wrong going by the number of things I've read on these forums. Which means they then tell wrong things to new group members every week. Which results in hundreds of group members that dont have the added support of minimins getting things wrong!

If in doubt - read the offy site or your books.

Don't worry - I have ignored her on this particular issue and have read my books cover to cover! I think she has been a consultant for a long time and is a little stuck in her ways. I did question her on this issue and she said that fibre & calcium are both good for weight loss and therefore you should eat the amounts of each that are allowed - whilst there is scientific basis for fibre and dairy siding weight loss I've never seen anything that tells you the amounts of each that are needed! Shes basically a bit dappy tbh but v good on the motivational side if things - which is exactly what I need her for!

Back