Observations, mutterings and the gerbera effect

Hope headache doesn't cause too much upset today Gem. Keep drinking lots of water and you might escape it!

You just said something very interesting and true..." ..if I am genuinely hungry..."

Spot on lovey, i'm realising my eating habits were NOT always through genuine hunger, more like bad habits and boredom :)

wise words indeed!

Hi peeps

Just a quickie...not a brilliant day calorie wise at 2159 cals in (629 over target) and no activity due to lots of aches and pains from yesterday's hike. however, all the food was homemade, there was no junk and over the two days I am under target and that's all I'm concerned about right now.

I made porridge for breakfast with banana and a tiny amount of honey, made lentil and veggie soup for lunch which we had with olive and Rosemary fresh baked bread. For dinner we had homemade chicken and chirizo ( can never spell it) rice dish with strawberries and creme fraiche for dessert....that's the trouble when I cook! The reason we went over cals is we both had two servings of soup and bread at lunchtime...however i was genuinely hungry so I'm fine with that...did have to struggle to put the leftover rice away but glad i resisted as we now have a delicious lunch for a picnic tomorrow. We are planning a walk from chesil beach all round Portland and back....fingers crossed for the weather!

Gem x

HI Gem
Home made foods, thats such a commitment. No unseen added and awfull chemicals think of the health beenfit alone OMG so jealouse. i just dont have the interest in food to do it. Your walk sounds great, so lucky sea and air MMmmm

Your going to be fine....sometimes i worry will i go back am i taking to much of a chance thes past weeks, but weve seen a better life and its full steam ahead.

Welldone mate, under or over jamie oliver eat your heart out lol!
XX

Hi ladies

Thank you for your support as always x LFM! I love cooking when I have the time and just need to make more time when I'm working to do it! I know what you mean about worrying you are going backwards but with your guy and you supporting each other I'm sure you will make good progress together :0)

We had an amazing hike today, over 13 miles of steep inclines, very rocky under foot but stunning views! I'm am shattered tonight but earned over 1700 activity calories! It was further than we thought so we had fish and chips tonight but even taking that into account I am over 1000 calories under target so that's more than made up for yesterday.

I did have a whippy ice cream at Portland so had a little sugar today but it was the best option available and I felt I had earned it!

Headache has been the worst it's been all week but if that's the worst of it I'll be very happy!

My son receives his GCSE results tomorrow so fingers crossed he gets enough for college.

Stay happy peeps!

Gem x

Thanks Rose...my son got 8 GCSE's , 7 b's and 1 c which should be enough to get him his college place, he enrols next week! :0)

Food wise was 1700 cals yesterday with little activity due to aching limbs!

Today we plan a day's shopping in Southampton including a trip to ikea....lots of walking and I might be buying a new laptop!

I am feeling very tiggerlike this morning, full of beans! This hiking really agrees with me! On another note, what do you guys think about increasing tax on unhealthy food?

Have a lovely day peeps..
Gem x

Oh well done Gem's son :) Fantastic!!!! he and you must be so relieved and happy :)

Hope you treat yourself to that new laptop hun! Have a great weekend and fingers tightly crossed for weigh in :)

Increasing tax on unhealthy food?....Hmmm, yes sounds like a good idea, after the reports on obesity that have been all over the tv and papers recently.
I do understand that some people on low income appreciate the cost of some unhealthy foods, but health wise, its not so good for them or their families in the long term...and a wee bit of planning and shopping around makes affording fruit and veg and fat free/sugar free foods possible.
Even going back to basics and actually 'making' a wholesome meal, from scratch, rather than stocking up on convenience foods for the microwave might make a huge difference to health. Occasional treats are fine and not so time consuming..but not every meal, every day!

Obviously, i didn't always think like that, or i wouldn't be on here, but I've had my eyes opened to just what unhealthy eating does to you...families eat what is put down to them, and sadly years ago, we didn't know or want to know any different!..unfortunately even today, that way of thinking still exists..and a fresh chicken, potatoes and a pile of veg, followed by a huge fresh fruit salad should be more affordable than foods laden down in fat and sugar, huge bags of chips and mammoth tubs of chocolate, ice creams and sticky cakes and buns!!!!

How can people ever see that food as a treat..if they are having it for every meal?

So Gem, as I climb off my soapbox hee hee, in my opinion, from the health perspective, fresh fish and meats, fruit and veg should all be a whole lot cheaper than unhealthy foods...for everyone's sake!
What are your views hun?

Have a good weekend :)

Thanks Rose...my son got 8 GCSE's , 7 b's and 1 c which should be enough to get him his college place, he enrols next week! :0)

How proud you must be!!! Welldone to your lad and Welldone to you too you took part in that mix to get that result :)

Tax on unhealthy foods, i think they should never of been allowed.

When all we had was choclate and crisps we had no such overwieght families.

Also parks closed and bullies ruling them...children have to sit at home and we all know what happens if we sit at home.

I know its all about controlling yourselves but its not black and white for some and the easiest route is the quickest route.
2 jobs + 2 children = takeaway.
Depression = takeaway
etc etc.
Its a government ploy to get us all on 20 hour shifts lol.

So yeap TAX the lot at 50%:D

Hi Gemsaic, am still new here and have been slowly reading my way around the forums, it has been really nice to read about your weight loss journey and it is really inspirational for me to know that you have gone from needing an inhaler after climbing the stairs to now doing all of this hiking and cycling :)

Loved what you had to say about the Gerbera affect - and that is may favourite flower too, and loved reading about when you got into size 18 and all the excitement of having so much more choice when it comes to clothes

All the best hope you have a good week :)
x

Hi...just dropped in with my new laptop to post some piccies and try and get my head round the website as opposed to the app!
Its late and I need some sleep but I will be back tomorrow to catch up and reply to you all
Sleep tight!

woohoo, you got a new laptop after all :)..enjoy!!!!

Loving the pics Gem. What a difference 3 stone makes, very inspirational :).....and yet again, another 'loser' with such a pretty face :)

Have a great day hun x

Oh well done Gem's son :) Fantastic!!!! he and you must be so relieved and happy :)

Thank you Rose, after a bumpy ride through school, its a solid result :D

Increasing tax on unhealthy food?....Hmmm, yes sounds like a good idea, after the reports on obesity that have been all over the tv and papers recently.
I do understand that some people on low income appreciate the cost of some unhealthy foods, but health wise, its not so good for them or their families in the long term...and a wee bit of planning and shopping around makes affording fruit and veg and fat free/sugar free foods possible.
Even going back to basics and actually 'making' a wholesome meal, from scratch, rather than stocking up on convenience foods for the microwave might make a huge difference to health. Occasional treats are fine and not so time consuming..but not every meal, every day!

Obviously, i didn't always think like that, or i wouldn't be on here, but I've had my eyes opened to just what unhealthy eating does to you...families eat what is put down to them, and sadly years ago, we didn't know or want to know any different!..unfortunately even today, that way of thinking still exists..and a fresh chicken, potatoes and a pile of veg, followed by a huge fresh fruit salad should be more affordable than foods laden down in fat and sugar, huge bags of chips and mammoth tubs of chocolate, ice creams and sticky cakes and buns!!!!

How can people ever see that food as a treat..if they are having it for every meal?

So Gem, as I climb off my soapbox hee hee, in my opinion, from the health perspective, fresh fish and meats, fruit and veg should all be a whole lot cheaper than unhealthy foods...for everyone's sake!
What are your views hun?

I agree, I have always said raise the price of unhealthy foods...however I think the general rise in obesity is down to many factors such as:
  • kids and adults not being taught basic cooking skills
  • gyms being heavily promoted as the best activity to loose weight
  • "diet" foods and the chemical combinations
  • diet industry in general
I would like to see new kinds of weight management support, promoted through GP's surgeries including basic cooking skills, advice on free local activities such as country walks or swimming in the ocean or a safe river, cycling etc. Perhaps information leaflets on free sites such as this one and annual GP preventative follow ups monitoring body fat percentage, blood pressure and cholesterol/glucose blood tests.

Im sure some surgeries are very good but mine was next to useless when I went to them for help :( The government have put a lot of money into giving up smoking...if they tax the unhealthy foods...lets use that money to do the same for weight management!

well you did ask! ;)

How proud you must be!!! Welldone to your lad and Welldone to you too you took part in that mix to get that result :)

Thanks LFM :D

Tax on unhealthy foods, i think they should never of been allowed.

When all we had was choclate and crisps we had no such overwieght families.

Also parks closed and bullies ruling them...children have to sit at home and we all know what happens if we sit at home.

I know its all about controlling yourselves but its not black and white for some and the easiest route is the quickest route.
2 jobs + 2 children = takeaway.
Depression = takeaway
etc etc.
Its a government ploy to get us all on 20 hour shifts lol.

So yeap TAX the lot at 50%:D

lol yep totally agree as long as the tax is plowed back into helping support people to loose the weight! :D

Hi Gemsaic, am still new here and have been slowly reading my way around the forums, it has been really nice to read about your weight loss journey and it is really inspirational for me to know that you have gone from needing an inhaler after climbing the stairs to now doing all of this hiking and cycling :)

Loved what you had to say about the Gerbera affect - and that is may favourite flower too, and loved reading about when you got into size 18 and all the excitement of having so much more choice when it comes to clothes

All the best hope you have a good week :)
x

Well hello there:wave_cry: and welcome:D

Thank you for reading my diary and the comments, its made me remember those times too and re read some of my posts. I really want to feel like that about hitting the size 16's...and 14's ...and dare i say it? 12's!!!! yes! Im daring to dream now. :D

As you have read I have struggled up and down since May. I'm hoping that posting some pics will give me the incentive to concentrate on the next size down, I'd be so silly to give it all up now.

Feel free to drop in and I look forward to getting to know you:)

woohoo, you got a new laptop after all :)..enjoy!!!!

Loving the pics Gem. What a difference 3 stone makes, very inspirational :).....and yet again, another 'loser' with such a pretty face :)

Have a great day hun x

why, thank you kindly Rose:)

Im struggling slightly with using the laptop as the app was so easy but im getting there:D

Im hoping that posting the piccies will help to keep me on track!

Update - last three days haven't been fantastic food wise but not all bad and i do feel positive about a small loss tomorrow.

I still cant seem to get through a whole week of tracking everything though so need to get my head round that. I'm making excuses...work is busy or I'm out of routine on holiday, i cant seem to win!
Im setting in place some new tech to help me keep tracking and after watching a video from Last attempts diary, i have resolved to keep off sugar as this is a huge part of my problem. I need to try and drink my tea without sugar I think as thats what always leads me back to the dark side!

I bought a slow cooker cookbook recently so I am going to source some good solid recipies to start cooking before I go to work, that way its all ready when i get back in the evening so no excuses when I'm busy!

right now, I'm going to write a shopping list for tomorrow and plan the next weeks recipies...see you all tomorrow for weigh in

Good Luck Gem
One thing i have noted on my mission is we cant do that mind change over night, what i do now is make the decision to be good then i sit and wait for the activity inmy brain to come forth and grab it and take it from idea to action.

Im sure that is the key grab it as it flows through or its like missing the train and it could be a week before it comes back, but it hasnt got a time table it will only come through when it wants to.

Thank fully we are already on our journey and we can hop on that train easy, id giev up the ghost if i had t go back to the desert i was in trying to even find the bloody staton!!

babbling now:rolleyes:

good luck tomorrow tick tock XX

Well not a great drop but 0.4lb down on last week so better than nothing
Just been food shopping and fridge is full of healthy ingredients so I'm off to make soup for lunch.

Stay happy x

Hiya :)

That's nice that you were reminded of those times and great for you to dream about those small sizes too :)

Sounds like you have made good plans with shopping and getting a slow cooker, Hope you have a great week and look forward to getting to know you too :)

Back