Observations, mutterings and the gerbera effect

It honestly is difficult for me to get my head around the idea that someone with weight to lose could do so much hiking - It's very impressive to me and I guess lets me know that I should have a go at getting my head around this idea! (or even have a go :p)

Well done on the weight loss :)
x

Hi blosum
A few years ago I had a personal trainer and he said to me that although I was one of his bigger clients I was one of his fittest!

I think big people have an embarrassment about doing activity coupled with its always been difficult to get sports wear in larger sizes.

I have reached an age where I don't care what other people think and I love the outdoors, I'm still not fit enough to windsurf which Is a goal of mine but I'm a lot fitter than most of my skinny friends

What I struggle with is the food and I was a binge eater for years...that's where the weight issues came from and being younger my self esteem plummeted and I did less and less to reach over 300 lbs...

It took me a good 10 years to recover from the bingeing I'm now much more active and the weight is slowly reducing

Sorry turned into a cathartic exercise again!

Have a good day!

No bad thing a cathartic exercise hey :) I should stress that the reason i find it hard to get my head around this is purely because of my own situation which has left me extremely unfit

It's good for me to read about you achieving so much

All the best :)

blossums said:
No bad thing a cathartic exercise hey :) I should stress that the reason i find it hard to get my head around this is purely because of my own situation which has left me extremely unfit

It's good for me to read about you achieving so much

All the best :)

No worries.... I started by buying an exercise bike ( industrial strength!) and tried to keep going for 5 minutes which absolutely knackered me! I was too embarrassed to go outside as I'd turn puce :0)
Good luck with getting fitter x

I have an overwhelming sense of happiness today. Not sure why but things seem to be going well....new haircut, new confidence perhaps?

Work has slowed to a dull roar, we got a good offer for one of our PPI claims and I keep getting compliments on my hair and how I look trimmer...must be all the hiking

Walked home tonight with a spring in my step and a song in my heart.....may it long continue! X

Hi Gem
Lovely to read hat your Buzzing :D hope its continued for you. That hair cut and exercise is certainly doing the trick.

Im going to fly like a bee and come buzzing with you lol:)

Have a great weekend xx

It's been a very busy week work wise but my sense of calm and happiness has lasted the week I'm very pleased to say. Food hasn't been strictly the best although not dreadful and I have walked or cycled all week ( apart from Monday's recovering!) so feel I haven't done too bad, will be happy with a pound down on Monday.

Trying to find clothes for my interview is a nightmare, tailoring is not a great look on someone who has skinny legs and a HUGE wobbly stomach. However, I might try Gok's shape underwear to see if it smooths my curves out a bit instead of looking like I've swallowed a tyre! Anyone tried this? I am such an odd shape at the moment "sigh" ....still I've found a lovely charcoal grey jacket from m&s and some flattering black trousers...I just need a cami or short sleeved black top to cover my tyre. Any ideas anyone? I went to asda today and nothing suitable :0( .

Am searching online this weekend , if no luck I still have next weekend to find something before the big day " gulp"

My application to become a governor is going through and I'm off to see three schools in the next couple of weeks who are keen to have me work with them...another reason for some smarter clothes!

I have also booked to go to our staff Xmas do this year....we are supposed to go as glamorous bond girls....eek! I hope I get the job , then I can afford a lovely new dress...a new goal I feel coming on!

It's very soggy here today, I've done the shopping and the housework, so am just gonna chill and cook some lovely food ( butter bean and prawn pilaff) for for the rest of the day.

Off to watch the qualifying.
...Go go Jenson!

Wow Gem what a wild life you lead lol, new jobs, blond bond girls :D, new clothes all sounds very exciting well done on the Governor Position!,

If you are keeping the Jacket done up could you use one of the smarter looking vests that are stretchy with a sheen on it.

Often found in Wallis,Ann Harvey, Evans.:)

Glad your still buzzing mate, i did a 10 mile ride today and you were right i soooo needed it too.

Just love the freedom theraputic and a good work out now im buzzing :)

Have a lovely Sunday XXX

Hi Gemsaic - I've read your thread - you have done so well. I'm interested in the binging thing. I know you're an ex-binger - how did you manage that? Food totally controls me at the moment. It's all I think of and I pass a lot of time stuffing it down my face!

I cannot get out of the cycle and have tried all sorts. I know it comes down to me in the end. No matter what I look like in the mirror, how tired and unfit I feel or how much my jeans fight against me, I still have to binge. Just thought you might have some tips.

There's some very inspiring threads on here - Rainbow Rose etc. but I cannot get my head around eating healthily. Pls. don't say I'm not so fat - the ticker is out of date and I used to be an 8 before my binging became almost daily.

I have got a bike but don't see it very often! I just think what's the point? You are very determined and here's to your continued weight loss

Pomooky XX

Pomooky125 said:
Hi Gemsaic - I've read your thread - you have done so well. I'm interested in the binging thing. I know you're an ex-binger - how did you manage that? Food totally controls me at the moment. It's all I think of and I pass a lot of time stuffing it down my face!

I cannot get out of the cycle and have tried all sorts. I know it comes down to me in the end. No matter what I look like in the mirror, how tired and unfit I feel or how much my jeans fight against me, I still have to binge. Just thought you might have some tips.

There's some very inspiring threads on here - Rainbow Rose etc. but I cannot get my head around eating healthily. Pls. don't say I'm not so fat - the ticker is out of date and I used to be an 8 before my binging became almost daily.

I have got a bike but don't see it very often! I just think what's the point? You are very determined and here's to your continued weight loss

Pomooky XX

Hi Pomooky

Thank you for visiting.
Firstly I have to say I'm not medically qualified so anything in my diary only pertains to me and my experiences and outlook on life...I'm no expert!

However I can certainly let you know how I tackled the binging :0) It took a long time to come to terms with and still is difficult to stay on track sometimes but I very very rarely binge eat now and when I do, it feels very uncomfortable.

The first thing I did was write everything down...I know it's laborious but it works...what and how much I ate, how I felt before and after I ate it and I did this for a couple of weeks. I was brutally honest with myself. If I wasn't all I was cheating was me! No one else cared :0) I usually ended up feeling bloated, sick, lethargic and very angry with myself...no way to live! In fact I hated myself for being so weak.

I then looked at what I was eating. I decided to go on a whole food diet....so anything I put in my mouth had to have some nutritional content. I even went as far as doing a food nutrition course with Open university but nowadays there is so much info on the web you wouldn't have to go that far! I got interested in recipes and started cooking everything from scratch. If I ate something sweet it had to be made by me, like carrot cake or have lots of fruit and nuts in. I did not worry about calories or how much I was eating. I was still bingeing but it was on a better quality of food!

Then I started reading Paul McKenna i can make you thin and what he said made sense to me. I don't know if you have tried his hypnosis and programme but this helped me enormously with the bingeing and helped me recognise why I binge ate...potted history follows...

I started binging when I was on ( what I then thought) was a very strict diet at home. My mum put me on a weight loss diet when I was eight as my ballet teacher told her I would never be a dancer as I was too plump. ( I'm 5foot 2 and have an hourglass figure... So even when I was 7 stone at 16 I was not the right shape to be a ballerina!) any who, that's when the secret binge eating started...as I wasn't allowed crisps and chocolate like my friends had in their lunches...I had dry crackers and cheese and fruit! Yuck! if I wanted anything to eat or drink at home I had to ask first. I would spend any money I had on sweets and eat them alone in my room and hide the evidence. Whilst I was dancing and I swam for Dorset ladies team as well the extra cals never showed but then I left home and stopped a lot of the activity.....the inevitable happened and it had by then become a habit to eat when I was unhappy/ sad/lonely/ bored/ frustrated/ out of control...you get the picture!

Through my late teens and early twenties I put on pounds, then stones and by the time I had my son at 27 I was 17+ stone, very unfit and still bingeing, only now I could eat all the rubbish I wanted. Fruit and veg were Minimal. After I had my son my life became a disaster area. My parents became unwell, my son was diagnosed with an autistic spectrum disorder and my husband left me...I put on another 5 stone in 18 months!!

I think you are wise to tackle it now...and it's a separate issue to dieting or weight management. You need to know why you do it and forgive yourself for it. Take responsibility from now on for what you eat and remember you are human. We all have bad days/ times in our lives. Food was my crutch..like alcohol or cigarettes are to others. It still is to a degree but I've learned to forgive myself, find things that make me happy and fulfilled and combat the extra calories ( hiking and cycling) and I'm now trying to undo some of the damage that I've done to my body and treat it a little more respectfully.

The other thing I do to get rid of the cravings for sugar and fat is come off all manufactured sugar and caffeine items for 3 - 7 days .... This is hard to start with and the first time I did this was hell! BUT it gets easier, and when my body is free from the sugar...it doesn't crave it anymore! For example... My hubby offered to buy me some chocolate yesterday so I walked to the shop , looked at it all and said no!! And as Rose says this was genuinely that I just didn't want it......if someone had told me this 10 years ago I would have laughed at them and said no way will I ever be like that!

Turned into a bit of a novel so sorry about that but if only a small piece helps then I am happy for you. Take care of yourself and pop back when you have time..

X

Gemsaic - thanks so much for taking the time to answer. My story is similar in that my mum was always very keen for me to be thin (I did ballet too but at that time, 10ish, I was sylph-like!). I ate very strictly up until 3 years ago when a lot of family stuff happened. This resulted in me being "free" to eat what I wanted - so I did! Hence an almost 1 stone gain.

I have listened to you and will look closely at the nutrition side. I am at a dodgy middle age stage and don't want to damage my body. I 've removed the remnants of last night's binge - chocolate wrappers and the like and already stocked up on healthy stuff. I am eating twice as many calories as David Walliams and am not swimming the Thames! It just shows how I have gained weight.

Well, thanks again for taking the trouble to share your experiences - it's much appreciated.

Pomooky XX

Hi Gem....happy sunday :)

what fantastic advice and support you've given Pomooky :)

Have you looked at evans online? They have a 50% off sale and you might see a nice top there, they have tunic type tops that are dressy. In the normal price range there is a nice black cami top with a swirl design cover top, and in the vest top section there is a lovely black vest top with a pretty detailed neckline and also a plain black support vest. I have that top and also in white. Good for under jackets or suits! I hope you find something soon, have you tried ebay?

Well done on all your achievements and good luck fr tomorrow's weigh in! :)

Pomooky125 said:
Gemsaic - thanks so much for taking the time to answer. My story is similar in that my mum was always very keen for me to be thin (I did ballet too but at that time, 10ish, I was sylph-like!). I ate very strictly up until 3 years ago when a lot of family stuff happened. This resulted in me being "free" to eat what I wanted - so I did! Hence an almost 1 stone gain.

I have listened to you and will look closely at the nutrition side. I am at a dodgy middle age stage and don't want to damage my body. I 've removed the remnants of last night's binge - chocolate wrappers and the like and already stocked up on healthy stuff. I am eating twice as many calories as David Walliams and am not swimming the Thames! It just shows how I have gained weight.

Well, thanks again for taking the trouble to share your experiences - it's much appreciated.

Pomooky XX

No problem, glad some of it helped :0) good luck and it's now how many times you fall off the wagon that counts but how many times you climb back on :0) be happy x

A little annoyed at those darn scales ...a slight increase this week...to tip me back over the 16's again!! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! 16 st 0.4 lbs. I feel like a yoyo!

I thought I'd been pretty good this week and have certainly done the exercise...the amount of people who asked me last week if I'd lost more weight was ridiculous!

I think my body is playing tricks on me here......but I will go back to recording everything this week...it seems to be the only way I can loose :0( I don't want to live my life by weighing everything but it seems, if I want to get some more off I'm going to have to

Hope others have better results...x

Hi Gem

never mind those pesky scales hun, you KNOW you've done everything you should do, i bet there are some inches off, that just don't reflect on the scales result :)

Good plan for the coming week Gem, and that pointer will move in the right direction next week no problem!

Go buy yourself that fab new top :D

4oz Gem thats a poo:rolleyes:. Wiegh after LOL

Its nothing mate your ude them realy your bodies just playing jekel and Hyde ;)

You wil be down again next Monday, look what you do exercise wise your health is amazing mate. :)

You will kick it this week for definate i know you will :)

Have a nice day hun and dont let the scale gremlins get you down :)XX

Hiya buddy
Hope you are doing ok, flat out at work no dout with a Focused brain and a fighting spirit :D as always!

Have a good result huni and a great week. XX

Back