oh no...bananas..help

soccermom

I AM A WEMITT x
I was just reading a recipe for banana and malteser cake and saw a mashed banana was 7 1/2 sins, i'm mashing mine to have on crackerbread is that not free then for the banana :eek:

Been reading posts about altered states of fruit and them being more and the penny never dropped til now :cry:.. can anyone tell me definitively... thanks

Yep, when you mash banana it breaks down so takes very little energy to digest so it rushes through your system just like a tablespoon of sugar would, hence the syns.

Thanks Honeyoc...I think :D thank goodness I realised now and not in 3 weeks when I can't understand why i've lost no weight, oh well I will have the banana as a side dish and have something else on my crackerbread, thanks again x

Awww not to worry, instead of mashing the banana how about slicing it?

I know this is heresy, but if you don't have anything else then I wouldn't be too bothered!

I think SWs logic behind it is:

1. mashing it releases all the sugar in it (thats why it goes a slightly brown colour) and
2. If you mash it you are likely to eat more of it and therefore increase your caloric intake.

My view (for what it is worth) is the same as judimac. If you stick to the one banana and you are still losing weight i would not worry.

does this mean u are also not allowed to chew it?
some of these rules seem a bit mad to me. mashing it either 30 secs before it goes in ur gob or when its in there really makes a difference? i cant help think it might be a load of dingly dangly bits lol

does this mean u are also not allowed to chew it?
some of these rules seem a bit mad to me. mashing it either 30 secs before it goes in ur gob or when its in there really makes a difference? i cant help think it might be a load of dingly dangly bits lol

I'm with you on this one, but maybe 30 secs in the life of a banana is a lot sweeter than ours lol.

Hmmmm... mashing vs chewing... I'd like to see the science here. I often spread a banana over a scan bran or a ryvita. But I only use about 1/3 of the banana when I do that as it goes quite far. So... 1/3 of a banana mashed or a whole banana chewed... surely to god I'm eating less calories with the mashed banana...??? This is not the sort of thing I would lose sleep over. They let us put mashed banana in the scan bran banana cake... don't they? Yeah, there's syns in the cake, but there's honey and whatnot in there too.

The thing is, I'd love to be spreading it thick with peanut butter or suchlike... but I'm not... I'm using banana. I'm not going to beat myself up...

I'm in the 'tosh' camp on this one. I am not a food nutritionist, but doubt very very much that mashing a banana changes any of its nutritional or calorific content.

I think this is to deter 'smoothies' as it would be easy to consume a lot without much thought, but as far as putting it on toast is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest

(I never saw an article anywhere about someone being overweight from eating too many mashed bananas- you just look after the cakes, pizzas and takeouts, and the fruit will look after itself!)

xxx

I'm in the 'tosh' camp on this one. I am not a food nutritionist, but doubt very very much that mashing a banana changes any of its nutritional or calorific content.

I think this is to deter 'smoothies' as it would be easy to consume a lot without much thought, but as far as putting it on toast is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest

(I never saw an article anywhere about someone being overweight from eating too many mashed bananas- you just look after the cakes, pizzas and takeouts, and the fruit will look after itself!)

xxx

I totally agree with this and I think that if it's one banana it doesn't matter if it's sliced/mashed or pureed. SW just want to make sure that you don't use too many bananas at once if you mash them.
I think the release of extra sugars if it's mashed is twaddle too- chewing it does the same thing.

this morning a friend of mine that used to be a consultant told me that slimming world used to limit bananas to one a day because of the hi sugar and they digest quicker so after about 30 mins you will be hungry again

I definitely aren't losing sleep over it :D, but if i'm eating 17 1/2 syns as oppossed to 10 then i'm not following the plan.

If its being syned in the cake though I just thought it should be syned if i'm using it spread on the crackerbread.

If I had a slice of the cake with the mashed banana in I would be counting those syns, its all very confusing :confused::)

I have however, decided not to mash lol it won't kill me :D

this morning a friend of mine that used to be a consultant told me that slimming world used to limit bananas to one a day because of the hi sugar and they digest quicker so after about 30 mins you will be hungry again

Yes I remember that from when my mum did the diet years ago, think thats why i'm so unsure about bananas being free :confused: and years of up and down calorie counting I keep thinking about how many calories are in them, I know I shouldn't, but its in the brain already :D

i find it very hard to believe this, i mean when we chew a banana its mashing it down?

I would never have even thought about it if I hadn't read this!

makes me head hurt!

If you mash up bananas in a recipe, or whizz them up in a smoothie, then I can see that you might eat rather more of them than if they were whole.

But mashing one banana to put on a couple of Ryvitas, which I often do for a fast breakfast when I am in a hurry, can't really be any different than eating the Ryvitas and then the banana, surely?

After all, if you can have the banana sliced - who's to say you can't slice it with a fork!!

I think the same, but the recipe asked for one mashed banana and was 7 1/2 syns, so 1 banana for that and one for ryvita is surely the same, just dont want to go over my syn allowance.

Who said it was going to be easy lol :D

Possibly the 7.5 syns were because the banana was being cooked, not because it was being mashed?

Back