OK! this is a bit depressing but IMPORTANT

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by sun, 18 January 2008 Social URL.

1. sun

sun Gold Member

Start Weight:
    12st7.0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st5.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(9.14%)
    Diet:
    exante
    Mrs Lard likes this.
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

This great. Thanks for digging this out Sun.

I particularly was attracted to the sentence

The worst possible way to maintain a weight loss would be to try to eat intuitively because our bodies will be cueing us to eat more with lowered leptin levels – we need to eat non-intuitively to outwit our bodies' desire to return to obesity.

Which is in keeping with something else i've been reading - the Gillian Riley book (as recommended on here).

Being armed with knowledge like this will help us (when) in maintenance/management.

Thanks again Sun.

Hope you are doing well

4. ladylite

ladylite Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Thanks for sharing that with us, it was very interesting. Like we all thought - NO MAGIC CURE.:cry:

5. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    This is similar to something I posted on the maintainers board so time ago.

Though I do think it's always interesting to read these things, you have to stay calm;)

I know that I (as a food addict), can easily make excuses for why I put on weight. It's all part of the 'disease':rolleyes: But, my doctor told me something once that will always stay with me and really was the most fantastic bit of advice ever (in fact the only bit of good advice I've ever got from them)

she said that it really doesn't matter what the reason is, we are overweight because we eat too much for our bodies. Not too much compared to Mrs Next Door, Or Mr Jam Butty, but eat too much for us.

For example, a diabetic has to regulate their diet. There is no point in them saying 'but hey thats not fair....she can eat this or that'. They just have to watch what they eat and make sure it's right for them.

So whilst this is interesting, nothing changes. We still have to take responsibility and watch what we put in our mouths and how it effects us. Knowing that it could be harder doesn't really make any difference, except to make us feel that it's an impossible task.

It certainly isn't impossible. Just take care, be aware, and never think that you've won the battle..........just that you are winning for today.

Mrs Pink likes this.
  6. Mrs Pink

Mrs Pink Banned

Diet:
    Cambridge
    .".. it really doesn't matter what the reason is, we are overweight because we eat too much for our bodies. Not too much compared to Mrs Next Door, Or Mr Jam Butty, but eat too much for us.

For example, a diabetic has to regulate their diet. There is no point in them saying 'but hey thats not fair....she can eat this or that'. They just have to watch what they eat and make sure it's right for them."

Thanks KD - thats a helpful way to look at it!

7. Miss Fenella

Miss Fenella Full Member

I agree wholeheartedly with KD's statement - thanks for posting :)

8. Mrs Lard

Mrs Lard Silver Member

Diet:
    LighterLife
    Dear Sun

THANK YOU SO MUCH for finding this. It's incredible (well, not literally, of course! doh! it's totally the opposite of incredible!). I am really really grateful because it answers a lot of questions that fellow LighterLifers have raised, as well as me trying to work out what's going to work in the longer run.

One thing I wasn't sure about and I'd be grateful if anyone could clarify it for me - I've quoted the two relevant paragraphs and highlighted the sentence I don't understand:

I couldn't understand, if "muscle efficiency increases by 15% after weight loss..." how is it possible that "we burn fewer calories per pound than either a normal weight or an obese person"?

Karion - fantastic context, as usual! I really appreciate this and it is very timely for me; I've got a genetic condition that is aggravated by certain foods! LOL! This has helped me not have a year-long pity party in 2008! And thank you for the mention of the maintainers board; I hadn't even realised it was there.

The other reason this all made sense was the non-intuitive eating! During RTM, I got massively distracted by intuitive eating and my LLC urged caution. Now I see why!!! I really did operate with a licence to eat!

I am so very grateful for this and I know I can pass this onto others who don't frequent minis!

Big kiss.

Mrs Lxxxxxxxxxxx

9. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

Mrs L. I don't know the why to the first sentence but I can reinterpret it and see if that helps. The muscles need X amount of energy (calories/glycogen, etc) to function. Post weight loss they need less energy to produce the same results.

Maybe you understood that bit and I haven't helped at all.

I'd be really intersted to know what causes this change. Maybe the muscles adapt to not using glycogen stores for their first and main energy supply (because we have been in ketosis and not had glycogen stores). They say that diabetics are not efficient at using their glycogen stores and that is part of the reason they gain weight. But this is saying that our bodies are more efficient and that is why we gain weight.

ooooh confusing

10. Eclipse

Eclipse Gold Member

I think it means that because muscles have become MORE efficient at burning calories, they need less calories to work properly than they did before (I think !) ie 15% less

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.