OK! this is a bit depressing but IMPORTANT

sun

Gold Member
Thanks for sharing that with us, it was very interesting. Like we all thought - NO MAGIC CURE.:cry:

This is similar to something I posted on the maintainers board so time ago.

Though I do think it's always interesting to read these things, you have to stay calm;)

I know that I (as a food addict), can easily make excuses for why I put on weight. It's all part of the 'disease':rolleyes: But, my doctor told me something once that will always stay with me and really was the most fantastic bit of advice ever (in fact the only bit of good advice I've ever got from them)

she said that it really doesn't matter what the reason is, we are overweight because we eat too much for our bodies. Not too much compared to Mrs Next Door, Or Mr Jam Butty, but eat too much for us.

For example, a diabetic has to regulate their diet. There is no point in them saying 'but hey thats not fair....she can eat this or that'. They just have to watch what they eat and make sure it's right for them.

So whilst this is interesting, nothing changes. We still have to take responsibility and watch what we put in our mouths and how it effects us. Knowing that it could be harder doesn't really make any difference, except to make us feel that it's an impossible task.

It certainly isn't impossible. Just take care, be aware, and never think that you've won the battle..........just that you are winning for today.

.".. it really doesn't matter what the reason is, we are overweight because we eat too much for our bodies. Not too much compared to Mrs Next Door, Or Mr Jam Butty, but eat too much for us.

For example, a diabetic has to regulate their diet. There is no point in them saying 'but hey thats not fair....she can eat this or that'. They just have to watch what they eat and make sure it's right for them."

Thanks KD - thats a helpful way to look at it!

Dear Sun

THANK YOU SO MUCH for finding this. It's incredible (well, not literally, of course! doh! it's totally the opposite of incredible!). I am really really grateful because it answers a lot of questions that fellow LighterLifers have raised, as well as me trying to work out what's going to work in the longer run.

One thing I wasn't sure about and I'd be grateful if anyone could clarify it for me - I've quoted the two relevant paragraphs and highlighted the sentence I don't understand:

We ARE different! Dr. Leibel said that we reduced obese may LOOK normal on the outside but our bodies are very different on the inside. He said that, in order to maintain our weight, we reduced obese need to eat 15 - 20% fewer calories per day than a comparable person – same height, weight and gender etc – who never was obese.

Why? The difference in calorie needs comes ALL from changes in NON-resting energy expenditure. The resting rate is unchanged. But our muscle efficiency increases by 15% after weight loss, so we become more efficient in using energy in exercise and everyday activities. And so we burn fewer calories per pound than either a normal weight or an obese person. It’s completely measurable in a lab – all you have to do is put the reduced obese person on a stationary bike and measure energy expenditure. We aren’t going to burn as many calories as normal people do. In practical terms, it means that when you’re at the gym on a treadmill, the person next to you is going to be burning 15-20% more calories than you do even is she is exactly the same height, weight and age (so long as she never was fat).

I couldn't understand, if "muscle efficiency increases by 15% after weight loss..." how is it possible that "we burn fewer calories per pound than either a normal weight or an obese person"?

Karion - fantastic context, as usual! I really appreciate this and it is very timely for me; I've got a genetic condition that is aggravated by certain foods! LOL! This has helped me not have a year-long pity party in 2008! And thank you for the mention of the maintainers board; I hadn't even realised it was there.

The other reason this all made sense was the non-intuitive eating! During RTM, I got massively distracted by intuitive eating and my LLC urged caution. Now I see why!!! I really did operate with a licence to eat!

I am so very grateful for this and I know I can pass this onto others who don't frequent minis!

Big kiss.

Mrs Lxxxxxxxxxxx

I think it means that because muscles have become MORE efficient at burning calories, they need less calories to work properly than they did before (I think !) ie 15% less

Back