Once Your At Goal... How To Maintain And Saggy Skin

Very interesting but i'm i reading this wrong??

ar.jpg
Surgery
  • Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty): This surgery can accomplish things that you cannot do own your own. It can give you a flat stomach by tightening your inner girdle. It also removes loose skin of your lower abdomen and tightens the skin of your upper abdomen. It can also remove nearly all the fat of your lower abdomen as well as the stretch marks.
Surely this contradics the plastic surgeon from Cambridge University that your cdc knows who said, that having a tummy tuck is a waste of money.

But more importantly i must say you look fanstatic bunny you are a true inspiration, well done on a fab weight loss.....xxx

I think that each surgeon has their own opinions on the merits of any surgery that they may or may not be prepared/able/qualified to do. Also, plastic surgery can be a pretty contentious issue as some feel it is purely undertaken for vanity reasons as opposed to justifiable clinical ones. One persons opinion is just that, one persons opinion. Surgeons are no exception to this (no matter where they may live or practice their profession).
I think the article is very interesting and confirms all I have said previously about the different factors and indeed the abdominoplasty part also confirms that it is a surgical procedure which does work and deals with that which we cannot deal with ourselves through exercise and diet. I have posted a photograph on my diary of the reason for my need for this surgery. This may change some perceptions, it may not. Feel free to drop in and look and comment if you wish. (Diary is in the Weight Loss Diary thread).

Thanks Bunny for a really interesting thread:):):)

It's very interesting to hear everyone's views on the saggy skin situation and whether tummy tucks are worthwhile. I have been maintaining for 6 months now and my skin is still far from perfect, but is improving with time. I'm in my 40's and have had 4 children, one by caesarian. I expected my skin to be awful, but to my delight it's not as bad as I thought:) However I look at my tummy and debate whether a tummy tuck would be the icing on the cake to my weight loss (with maybe a boob job thrown in!:rolleyes:) I have decided to wait till I've been at goal for a year or so, before I make any definate decisions, one reason is I'm still a little afraid I may gain weight, and also I was told that your skin can take up to 18 months to adjust to weight loss.

It's all about how we feel about ourselves really and if a tummy tuck improves how you feel inside about yourself as well as your physical appearance, then they are worthwhile.

Bunny I'll be very interested to read about your experiment with more weight loss and muscle building. I am very bad when it comes to exercise:eek: But if this works for you, then you may give me the inspiration to get a bit more physical:)

Tracey
x

Unfortunately, this may be difficult if not impossible to remove through normal exercise or dieting.

The article does not back up the view of this plastic surgeon at all.

Anyway, he's wrong. In some cases, yes, you may get a bit of saggy skin and be able to sort it out by losing more fat, and in other cases you can't. We're all different. I'm surprised that a plastic surgeon would make such a sweeping statement, since it's part of his job to know how the human body works, surely?

If I'm reading what you're saying correctly, you need to have 10% body fat or less in order to not have saggy skin. You know it would be dangerous to your health to have less than 10% body fat? This is bad, bad advice you're getting, and you're getting it second hand.

If you want to get down to extremely low body fat %, dieting down to BMI19 and then gaining muscle is the wrong way to do it. You'd be better gaining muscle first, and then dieting. Have you spoken first hand to your doctor or a personal trainer about this goal?

Hi Bunny - i just wanted to say thanks! I'm just about to start CD (tomorrow!), have never done it before, and have to admit the saggy skin issue was in back of my head!

Oh and another thing - you look AMAZING!!!

Ta muchly!
Lx

Yes Bunny you do look amazing !
You know what though , this is a very interesting thread. I was only thinking the other day about how critical I now am about my body , getting really up tight about things like saggy skin etc. But then I just kick myself up the Backside and think ENOUGH! stop obsessing about it , its getting boring! I tell everyone , often in reply to a compliment about how fantastic I now look , I go .. 'I know but ...' you know how it goes. Self depreciation is not attractive, but neither is self obessesion and being overly focused on yourself and achieving perfection. I think after all the months of self focussing that is necessary in order to achieve the weight loss, there is a danger of becoming , well I know this is contentious and its not meant to offend anyone, but well .. a wee bit vain and self obessesed.
I for one know I look better now than I have for years and I know that during the time I was heavy I hated my body , often refusing to look at it at all,neglecting it and not caring enough. But I absolutely refuse to end up the other way and I do think there is a danger with people becoming too obsessed and going too low , trying to achieve the impossible and putting themselves at risk unnescessarily.
I just want to learn to be happy with a healthy slim body, and not worry too much about it being 'perfect'.

Self depreciation is not attractive, but neither is self obessesion and being overly focused on yourself and achieving perfection. I think after all the months of self focussing that is necessary in order to achieve the weight loss, there is a danger of becoming , well I know this is contentious and its not meant to offend anyone, but well .. a wee bit vain and self obessesed.

I totally agree with this...and I'm giving myself a bit of a kick up the jacksy to stop myself obsessing about what I look like.

Thing with me is if I look in the mirror at home I don't see myself as slim (although I know I am as I've lost most of my excess weight) but when I catch sight of myself in a mirror in a clothes shop I don't recognise the person looking back at me yet. She is super slim!

I start asking hubby what size he thinks I look, what size others would think I am, I pick out a woman around what I think is my size now and ask hubby to tell me if I'm bigger or smaller. I drive myself nuts.

I don't want to be this obsessed with my figure or looks - I wasn't like this when I was a fatty! I've never been particularly insecure about my weight or looks or had low self esteem so I don't know why I'm getting so obsessive now. Let's hope it's a passing phase.

You're right though...neither self-deprecation or self-obsession is attractive.

When all is said and done we are probably the only ones who are interested in our weight and body image and everyone else is interested in what we are like as a person.... and after all it is far more important to be a good person.

Just thought I would chuck me two penneth worth in re surgery.

My sister in law went from a six 36/38 to a size 8. Despite then being 28 she has excess skin everywhere - it drooped from her arms, thighs tummy...you get the picture.

At size 12 she spent a year with a personal trainer trying to tone. He was very honest with her and told her her size was due to the excess skin and there was nothing more he could do with exercise.

She saved for a while to get together the 20k she had been quoted for the op. The surgeon was honest and told her she had to decide between scarring and skin - she choose the scars.

Her excess skin was so bad they had to do the op in 2 halves - one for the bottom half and one the top, and each op was 8 hours.

She now looks like a little like an underground map. She has a scar almost the full circumfrance of her waist and down each limb. She is having to go back as her bottom is far to high. Yet she is delighted. Her choice is that she can live with the scars rather than the weight. I am not so sure I would like the scars, but then I saw how depressed she was by the skin - there was a visible "apron" on her tummy.

I think at the end of the day, we all make a choice as to what method we prefer - and all of us have to respect the choices each other makes and support those choices.

On a lighter note, she has been a size 8 for 18 months and the boost in her confidence is incredible - it is like a different person emerged as the pounds rolled off!

Fab Post Bunny, :D

You look Fab, I Have re-started CD and need all the help I can..

Back