'Only' 1lb

Well done for saying what needed to be said. Problem is we all wanna wake up next weigh day and be our perfect vision of loveliness. Losing the "only" is the first step to realising that the dream is obtainable but it's going to be somewhere in the future.

**hugs**
Cobweb x

Its so strange -I only posted earlier to someone who said they had "only lost 7lbs" since they started...I told them they need to take the "only" bit out ;)

*hangs head in shame* that would be me... :eek: I say 'only' because it works out at a half a pound loss a week since I started and it makes me feel sad that it's taken me so long. I agree that 1lb off a week is amazing, but after a really really good week you can sometimes feel a bit disheartened that 10 stone didn't drop off!

I promise from now on I will be proud of my losses, be they half pounds or whole ones!! xxxxx

well sorry to put a downer on it but im one of them people who say just..only..

i wish i could be happy with a pound a week but i aint

everybody is different

i know in myself that i can do better than a pound a week as i have in the past when doing slimming world.

i think it can be a bit physiological if a person like my self has had years and years of heartache and depression beacause of being so over weight then of course i want to see bigger results everyweek .

anyway rant over lol

just saying there aint nowt wrong with saying just...and only we all do it!!

*hangs head in shame* that would be me... :eek:
Consider yourself told! lol

Mate- my ultimate goal when I started this journey (and very unlike every diet I did prior to this) was that I would take it sensibly. I read an article about Fern Britton and how she had lost 4 stone over 2 years, and was amazed when I worked out that it was 'only' half a pound a week that she had lost.

That was what inspired me to do things different this time- even 'just' half a pound a week eventually mounts up to a fantastic achievement.

Yes we would love to press a button and have it happen NOW, but the button doesn't exist, so our only choices are a hard battle with a huge reward at the end OR eating what we want in misery

xxxx

I don't think cocktail princess was saying that larger losses are unsustainable - its just when you hear people saying 'only' one pound or 'just' one pound and they were obviously hoping for more i don't think they realise what an achievement that 1lb is. A lot of people on here, when they lose 1lb a week consistently, then talk about giving up and 'whats the point' and thats a real shame. I just think as dieters we have an unrealistic view to what average weight loss is. ALL losses should be celebrated. 1lb, 2lbs, 5lbs..........every pound loss makes us healthier and closer to having the bodies we want to have. xx

No, she wasnt, Carthago mentioned that in a later post. And yes, it is reasonably well known that fast losses can go back on fast - but ONLY if the person who did the fast loss isnt equipped with the tools to maintain.

Its just a bit of a "thing" with me at the moment because when I go to group I am starting to feel guilty that I am losing more than some others in the group, I want to be pleased with my achievements, and I am, generally, because I didnt walk into a group wanting to lose weight for all the other members there, I went because I wanted to do this for me, but at the same time I dont want to be a cause of their demotivation.

I cant be responsible for the way they think and the way they see things but at the same time, I dont want to make them feel bad because SW does have this reward system that praises the biggest loser.

In one case, a guy said something about how it was motivating him to work harder on it because he had got complacent a bit but seeing others coming in and posting bigger losses had motivated him to try harder, he really wanted to get SOTW, and this has motivated him to work harder. But that wont work for everyone, some people will get demoralised when they see REALLY good results and feel that they dont measure up and that was never my intention.

Consider yourself told! lol

Mate- my ultimate goal when I started this journey (and very unlike every diet I did prior to this) was that I would take it sensibly. I read an article about Fern Britton and how she had lost 4 stone over 2 years, and was amazed when I worked out that it was 'only' half a pound a week that she had lost.

That was what inspired me to do things different this time- even 'just' half a pound a week eventually mounts up to a fantastic achievement.

Yes we would love to press a button and have it happen NOW, but the button doesn't exist, so our only choices are a hard battle with a huge reward at the end OR eating what we want in misery

xxxx

I keep telling myself, even if I lost 1 stone a year, I'd still be at target quicker than how long it took me to get to this weight!

Its just a bit of a "thing" with me at the moment because when I go to group I am starting to feel guilty that I am losing more than some others in the group,
You are not alone- even though I am a slow loser I am still quicker than my sister- we used to text each other our WI result for motivation but she has really stalled and I almost feel guilty about 'another 1lb off' when she has gained again- especially now she has started with little digs and actually once saying 'thank God for that- it's not just me' when I gained

You are right that you will be an inspiration to many, but insecurities will make you a source of jealousy to other. It's a sad fact that success can bring out the best and worst in people- the only thing you can do is 'keep your side of the street clean' (my new favourite saying) as you cannot be responsible for other peoples feelings

You should be very proud

I have the same thing with my cousin who also goes to group. We coincidentally started at exactly the same time but for one reason or another her weightlosses have never really got going properly.

She means no harm by it, but she gives me a lot of ribbing about being "teachers pet" and even posted a facebook status the other week saying that she has a really annoying cousin who always loses loads of weight and wins SOTW and how I should just stop and give other people a chance. But I know she supports me, because on the other hand when she talks to others about SW she talks about how effective it is and uses me as an example of how well it CAN work.

But you are right, I shall just keep "my side of the street clean" and not overthink things too much. Thanks x

I don't think cocktail princess was saying that larger losses are unsustainable - its just when you hear people saying 'only' one pound or 'just' one pound and they were obviously hoping for more i don't think they realise what an achievement that 1lb is. A lot of people on here, when they lose 1lb a week consistently, then talk about giving up and 'whats the point' and thats a real shame. I just think as dieters we have an unrealistic view to what average weight loss is. ALL losses should be celebrated. 1lb, 2lbs, 5lbs..........every pound loss makes us healthier and closer to having the bodies we want to have. xx

You are absolutely right - I was talking about most VLCDs - people who have huge losses, then cannot maintain their loss. SW is totally different - maintaining is easy as this is a way of life.

Of course there are amazing losses from people on SW which are definitely going to be sustainable - everyone is different and yes, ALL losses are to be celebrated. I should have made myself more clear, sorry! I would never, ever belittle or diminish an excellent loss! xxx

Last edited:
You cant moan about losing this every week!
1lbs_fat1.jpg

Every loss is a good loss
x

I get slightly upset when I lose "only 1lb" in a week, but that's usually becuase I do stick to it 100% all the time, I eat all HEx, and have between 8-9 syns a day. I eat my weight in superfree and then I hear of someone usually at group losing 2-3lbs and saying how they hardly stuck to it... But I am happy that I have lost so much so far and that it is coming off, I just wish it were quicker... I keep perserving and being happy that my average of 1.6lbs is leading to skinniness!

A loss is a loss!

Unfortunately we live in a world where people want things instantly. As someone else has said, we don't put on 7lbs n a week so why should we be losing that much at weigh in?!

I agree that saying 'only' and 'just' downgrades something very positive that you and all of us has done. Healthier off than on!

If anyone is giving themselves unrealistic targets for losses in a week, that's something they need to address themselves.

I usually average a pound a week which is fine by me. Gives my skin time to ping back. Better than losing half a stone and getting a new empty saggy loose bit!

This week I lost 3lbs (I didn't stick to plan 100% either. Think it was more not eating for a couple of days - bad :( ) which means I will put a pound on next weigh in or maintain. My body can't cope with over 1.5lbs losses!

I think next time we go to weigh in and you see 'just' 1lb drop off, take a moment and imagine how you'd feel if that was 1lb going on. Then smile and celebrate that you have lost 1lb. :)

A loss is a loss!

Unfortunately we live in a world where people want things instantly. As someone else has said, we don't put on 7lbs n a week so why should we be losing that much at weigh in?!

I agree that saying 'only' and 'just' downgrades something very positive that you and all of us has done. Healthier off than on!

If anyone is giving themselves unrealistic targets for losses in a week, that's something they need to address themselves.

I usually average a pound a week which is fine by me. Gives my skin time to ping back. Better than losing half a stone and getting a new empty saggy loose bit!

This week I lost 3lbs (I didn't stick to plan 100% either. Think it was more not eating for a couple of days - bad :( ) which means I will put a pound on next weigh in or maintain. My body can't cope with over 1.5lbs losses!

I think next time we go to weigh in and you see 'just' 1lb drop off, take a moment and imagine how you'd feel if that was 1lb going on. Then smile and celebrate that you have lost 1lb. :)

Very good post :clap:

You know I'm with you 100% on this one - great post hun as always xxx

Its just a bit of a "thing" with me at the moment because when I go to group I am starting to feel guilty that I am losing more than some others in the group,

You should NEVER feel guilty about your weight loss hun. I'm sure when some people lose more than others consistently it can cause a touch of the green eyed monster but YOU should be proud of what you're achieving, as should everyone - whether they're losing half a pound a week or five or six.
You're doing fantastically well!! (((HUGS)))

I used the expression "only a lb last week" but that was because I had upped my exercise and stuck to plan 100% and so, at my size, expected more but it was a star week. I made up the difference this week.

I didn't mean that one pound was worthless, but to me, I wanted more for my efforts as I knew how well I had stuck to plan and that I had maintained my Platinum Body Magic status.

I agree that any loss is great and I am in this for the long haul.:)

Thank you all for this post. I'm one who this week was disappointed with my weight loss. I need to accept the fact that anything that I lose is a bonus to putting on any weight.

I do NOT mean to make others feel bad about their weight loss no matter how big or small. At the end of the day ever little bit off is a little bit less to lose.

I do think that I need to sit down and have a good talking to myself about it all and I think that this thread has been a god starting point for me for this. So I do have to thank you all for this - maybe I will now be able to be happy for ever half pound I lose!

Back