Orange, Green and Purple cauliflower

BritMumInCanada

Gold Member
Well, green cauliflowers are not exactly new - I have had the Romanesco variety before.

Cauliflower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - this Wikipedia page has a reference to an article dated 1988 referring to an orange variety, and one from 2005 about a purple variety, so obviously they have been around for a while, but are new to the supermarkets.

I think they look great. Fabulous colours, and according to the article they keep their colour when they are cooked, which some odd-coloured vegetables don't (the romanesco gets a lot paler when it is cooked).

One of the great things about Wikipedia is the way it gives you references to things which lead you off into other subjects. A dreadful time-waster, but fascinating too. This is an article, linked from the cauliflower page, about the romanesco and its amazing shape:
Fractal Food

When I used to get an organic veggie box delivered weekly I had the purple cauliflower, tastes good but doesn't stay quite so brghtly purple for long, kinda colour runs as it is cooked :D

Back