Overcoming the 'life's too short' mentality

Devon Dolce

1lb at a time!
I apologise in advance if this post doesn't make sense, but I just wanted to put it out there really! How do you overcome the 'life's too short' mentality when it comes to following any type of plan! I love SW I really do, but there are some days where I just think 'life is too short to be worrying about what I can and can't eat (read here wine, chocolate, dips, crisps etc.), God made me this way who am I to argue' - now before anyone says it I know how good it feels to drop a few pounds, and how in the long term my health will always benefit, but sat here at 5.40pm on a Sunday night, admittedly feeling a little sorry for myself, how do you overcome the whole 'life's too short' thing and not reach for the wine, crisps, chocolate etc.

I'm not expecting any replies and apologies in advance if I cause offence; that was, and never will be my intention.

DD xxx

Hey, sounds like you are just having a moment of weakness and believe me we all have them! You are right, life is too short however maybe think life may be shorter if we all continue to eat and drink to excess..if you know what I mean?

I sometimes remember a quote, think it was Kate Moss 'nothing tastes like skinny feels'..lol..I know I'm certainly never gonna look like her but it's a good thought!

Chin up..just think that you would probably feel guilty/bloated/worse after eating all those things?

Now if only I could follow that advice too...

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I agree, remembering how bad you feel after having those things is a good option.

Try to just have other things to hand which you also enjoy but which are free or superfree

When I was at my biggest I felt very depressed, I had indigestion/bloating nearly all the time, was out of breath doing anything remotely strenuously, found it hard to fit in cinema seats etc etc - life is DEFINITELY too short to feel like that! :)

I think the main thing I'd take from your post is that you seem to want to reach for the crisps/wine etc because (your words) you are feeling a little sorry for yourself - rather than because you really fancy the taste of the food. Just ask yourself: how will eating the junk cheer you up? It won't, right? Remember that nothing is forbidden on the plan, so if you want a glass of wine, then have one - just syn it!

Personally, sometimes I *do* just need a night off and genuinely fancy a naughty meal with a high-fat pud, rather than wanting to eat it because I'm self-sabotaging/feeling low etc etc - and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, as long as you get right back on track and accept that you might not lose weight that week.

Good advice there! We all feel like this sometimes, bump off the wagon, but just get straight back onto it and the weight will fall off again. Look at it like a vase of flowers, you have 7 lovely flowers every week, just because one has died you still have 6 lovely ones to look after :)

Because I feel more like life is too short to spend it being so unhappy with how I look! My weight stops me doing so much of what I really want to do in life, it just isnt worth the crisps/cake/wine/chocolate.

Plus my life is certain to be even shorter if I just eat crap all the time!

DD - I totally empathise with you on this one. Life is too short to spend your time worrying about what you eat all the time. It's why I love SW. I can actually get away with following it without worrying all the time. I would hate to be on a plan where I had to measure & count everything all the time, or worse - drink 3 shakes a day & go to bed starving, then dream of food all night!!!

There are of course times when I just can't be bothered to worry about whether I can eat that white bread, or drink that glass of wine, or that chocolate bar, and I think that as long as you do this in moderation and don't feel guilt, then you should be okay.

Don't be too hard on yourself though x

Lifes too short to spend it feeling fat and depressed. Think of all the things that will improve when you lose weight.

Though saying that, a moment of weakness every now and then is nothing to stress over, its when the moments of weakness are outweighing the moments of strength that you need to worry...

DD - I agree wholeheartedly with the replies so far and don't believe anyone stays 100% on plan 100% of the time for the rest of their lives. SW is brilliant but I don't think it should be regarded as a diet - with subsequent mental flogging when you fall off the wagon! It's more of a way of living, retraining the poor eating habits that most of us fell into from our youth. As a little girl I remember getting a cuddle after I hurt myself but I also got chocolate! So it's not hard to see that, apart from tasting yummy, I looked at chocolate (read also cakes & booze as I got older) as comfort 'foods' so as when I was older they're the first things my brain reached for in times of boredom & sadness.
I don't want to start a religeous debate but you say 'god' made you this way - no >>> you made you this way and if you want to, you can make yourself neigh on any way you want. As it's something you raised it sounds to me like you want to lose weight - and I'm sure you will but don't beat yourself up for the odd hiccup in your journey.
Good luck chick

Back