Paleo life

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! I'm doing my own low carb... Haven't quite worked out what I'm doing to be honest apart from keeping carbs as low as possible, eating lots of green leafy veg, drinking water and avoiding processed foods (apart from unsweetened soya milk). Right now still adjusting to the fact I made myself an omelette at lunchtime and (a) realised I was full half way through (being aware of being 'full' is an issue I've struggled with for years) (b) stopped eating (radical!!) and have felt more contented this afternoon than I have done in ages. Phew.

Just hope I can reverse this weird gaining trend I've been on. Is it possible that the approx 45g-60g of carbs a day you get from slim and save packs is too much for me to get into ketosis? Would explain why I've been having awful food cravings and been really irritable... Not to mention STARVING!!!

As far as I know there are 2 ways of getting in to ketosis. Firstly, limiting carbs & secondly calories. So S&S and other vlcds send you into ketosis by calorie limitation as they can have more carbs than, say, Atkins recommends for ketosis. Am happy to be corrected, but I think this is right.

Sounds about right, Annie (although I think I've probably just tried to push my body too far, vlcd-wise and I was ready to EAT! feel a lot better for it)

I do love a vlcd, but only for the mental side. I suffer with binge eating so find the total abstinence makes me feel sane & normal. Like I imagine a normal person would feel about food. I wish I could be on one forever.

Morning lovelies. This morning I had a good look in the mirror and do believe the Paleo and daily yoga are making a huge difference. My longstanding paunch is slowly disappearing. I am very happy.

Green-eyed, you come across as such a lovely happy person. Your posts make me smile (and give me hope!)

Annie, I also have a tendency towards bingeing - once I have a trigger food, that is. As long as I stay off my triggers completely I'm fine - which is why LL was brilliant for me when I lost my main weight. The difficulty I've had this year has been in losing smaller amounts. My brain doesn't do well with the deprivation part anymore... I had a very positive mental attitude when I did LL originally, because it was easy ish to justify to myself why I didn't want to be 16 stone anymore. My BMI is only very slightly over 25 at the moment, so it feels much harder psychologically.

Really glad I decided to start low carbing again though. Food! Yay!

I've noticed I get a bit panicky just before meals though, which is interesting... Like I'm scared that by eating ANYTHING I will go out of control. It's going to take me a while to reinforce the fact that eating low carb* really doesn't trigger me,** which is fab!

*(apart from nuts...)
** (and cheese...)

Last edited:
Green-eyed, you come across as such a lovely happy person. Your posts make me smile (and give me hope!)

Annie, I also have a tendency towards bingeing - once I have a trigger food, that is. As long as I stay off my triggers completely I'm fine - which is why LL was brilliant for me when I lost my main weight. The difficulty I've had this year has been in losing smaller amounts. My brain doesn't do well with the deprivation part anymore... I had a very positive mental attitude when I did LL originally, because it was easy ish to justify to myself why I didn't want to be 16 stone anymore. My BMI is only very slightly over 25 at the moment, so it feels much harder psychologically.

Really glad I decided to start low carbing again though. Food! Yay!

I've noticed I get a bit panicky just before meals though, which is interesting... Like I'm scared that by eating ANYTHING I will go out of control. It's going to take me a while to reinforce the fact that eating low carb* really doesn't trigger me,** which is fab!

*(apart from nuts...)
** (and cheese...)

Awwww! Thank you! I have a lot to be happy about I guess, though I do have my down times as well. C'est la vie. Kind of missed yesterday on the food diary front. Missed breakfast yesterday. Wasn't particularly hungry until lunchtime. So really didn't eat an awful lot yesterday...

Lunch - leftover lasagna from evening before
Dinner - basa fillet, prawns, courgette and broccoli steamed in lime, thai fish sauce, chilli and garlic
Snack - macadamia nuts, smoothie made from strawberries, raspberries and coconut milk

This morning I was starving!

Breakfast - scrambled eggs and honey roast ham, nectarines

Dinner (cooking at the moment) - roasted belly pork, roasted vegetables (mixture of all the leftover ones in fridge- onions, leeks, tomatoes, butternut squash, swede, peppers) with diced chorizo mixed in. It's the end of the week and a few days til pay day still!

Just been looking at an online site which delivers organic, grass reared meats. I've been a bit concerned about using the bog standard meats from Tesco as I'm aware it's far from ideal. The prices are higher but not outrageous and they offer lots of more unusual meats like goat, venison, etc. I think I might give them a whirl.

Yoga is still going swimmingly. I'm alternating the different DVDs to mix it up and get the benefits from the different styles (my abs hurt!) Hope I can manage to sustain this routine when I'm back at work next week. Think I'm probably going to struggle as it's the dreaded night shifts when I go back.

Hope you're all having a fab and groovy day xxx

Hun could I have the link to the website for the grass fed meat sounds good xxx

O and I've found I'm no longer hungry in a morning which is strange for me but decided to listen to my body instead of eating coz its a mealtime x

Ooh that looks yummy. They have a really good range. I'm a bit of an offal fan myself and it's hard to get lamb's kidney at the supermarket... Also been wondering about trying to cook oxtail at some point as I used to love my grandma's oxtail soup when I was little and I'm sure it's full of vitamins and nutrition... Nom! And game... Ooh choices!! Nom!

(we have a local farmers' Market which is is fab but I've not been going for the past couple of months after I mainlined a serious quantity of soda bread there one week and blew up like a balloon, thusly --> O. Man, but it was delicious though!)

Must start myself a low carb diary thread. Day three and feeling brilliant!

Spanglymum said:
Ooh that looks yummy. They have a really good range. I'm a bit of an offal fan myself and it's hard to get lamb's kidney at the supermarket... Also been wondering about trying to cook oxtail at some point as I used to love my grandma's oxtail soup when I was little and I'm sure it's full of vitamins and nutrition... Nom!

Must start myself a low carb diary thread. Day three and feeling brilliant!

Awwwww yeah get one started I live reading them x

Hehe just cross posted as was editing ...

Good morning!

Sorry I went to work so good afternoon x

Busy busy bee today...

Brunch - bacon, eggs, orange, grapes, apple

Dinner - Prawn and vegetable curry made with coconut milk/cream and thai red curry spices.

Got a stasis on my weight this week but it's all good. Walked from Penzance to Marazion along the beach yesterday in my bikini top and skirt. Feeling really pretty good about the way I look at the moment. The sun was shining, the sea was warm, it was so beautiful. In essence I would over time like to lose a bit more belly fat so my abdomen looks more defined but I have all the time in the world and if it takes months then that's all cool with me. I'm loving my Paleo lifestyle and yoga. I feel happier than I have in a long time. Hope you've all had a fantastic weekend and that the new working week is kind to you all :grouphugg:

O Hun what a fantastic post so glad your happy I've got to say I agree completely and I'll never go back x

O Hun what a fantastic post so glad your happy I've got to say I agree completely and I'll never go back x
Thanks Nicola. It's good to feel good xxx

Back