Paleo life

I know it's unlikely on Paleo, with eating meat and fish and leafy greens, but could you be anaemic? I suffer badly from anaemia and always try to take iron supplements the week before I'm due on. Or you could try liver? ( I used to hate it - my mum somehow used to manage to turn it into chewy black platelets that used to take all the moisture out if your mouth and tasted sour, with the internal appearance and texture of green suede! Blech! And we had it once a week! And you had to clear your plate because of the starving children in Africa! But now I pan fry it lightly with onions, sage and bacon and it's delicious!)

Or could it be simply your shift patterns knocking the wind out of you? I find sleep disruption affects everything and it's easy to underestimate how profoundly you can be affected by lack of sleep.

Also... Just a thought... But try cutting down on fruit and eating more fat and protein at mealtimes. Are you eating enough calories? You could be very close to your ideal weight and your body is resisting going any lower.

Or a tummy bug?

Last edited:
Hi lovely Spangly lady and Stazo. I've had a few days of eating whatever I could lay my hands on to be honest. Pretty sure I'm not anaemic. Had my bloods done not so long ago and all fine. I think maybe I'm eating too much fruit. Going to have a good long think about my diet over the next few days and see how it goes. Will be sticking to my low carb healthy eating but considering eating a small amounts of quinoa, brown rice and some legumes occasionally as those bowel movements were just not right. Hmmm.

hello greeneyed!

thought i'd pop over to the paleo forum and catch up on your diary. i'm close to my target weight on dukan but have been considering a switch to paleo as a long term eating plan. i have really enjoyed dukan and am so grateful to the diet for giving me control over my weight and my eating patterns, but there are parts of the diet that don't work for me so well (and which are a little impractical to follow).

most of the the principles of dukan that i like seem to be part of paleo too, and so i'm happy to hear that things have been working out for you. and i see rednicola moved over here too!

nice to see both of you still active in minimins!
Cx

I would like to ditto what Dukanista said
Please will you let me know the basics
I love Dukan but am really struggling with sticking to PP days
Thank u xxx

ssssssssh, laura. i feel like I'm cheating on the Dukanettes by just being here! :ashamed0005:

Dukanista said:
ssssssssh, laura. i feel like I'm cheating on the Dukanettes by just being here! :ashamed0005:

The more I read the more I think this is more achievable!!!
I really can't face PP days anymore there just not for me,surely either doing this or just PV days is still über healthy!! Xx

Hello curious little Dukanettes!

Looks like you've been doing a bit of reading around it already. Main difference I guess is that Paleo/Primal doesn't consider fat to be the enemy (I like that!) and that vegetables and fruit (in moderation) are perfectly fine. I think I kind of overdid the fruit for a bit but have cut back now. The other thing is that sweeteners and sugar really aren't allowed. It's pretty easy to cope with as you are allowed fruit and that usually satisfies the sweet craving I find. I personally hate sweeteners and the taste they leave so don't have any problem with that.

Lovely to have some visitors from the other side. Do a bit more reading around the subject. There's loads of free info on the internet about it.

xxx

So do you find it's like PV days with some added extras
I'm doing only PV days ATM and prefer it but I miss fruit so much!!
What differences have you seem in yourself and your weight
I still have a stone and half to loose so do you think it's too soon to change? Xx

thanks greeneyed!

i had brunch with a friend on the weekend, and after we both ordered vegetarian omelettes and left the toast untouched, we started comparing diets. turns out she is on paleo now - mostly, that is, as she is vegetarian and has some intolerance to soy as well, so is struggling to find something that works. but she lost 10kg last year and looks fantastic, so it seems to be working.

2 great websites for you here, Laura:
The Beginner's Guide to the Paleo Diet | Nerd Fitness
Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

i haven't read enough yet, but paleo seems fairly close to dukan: high protein, low carbs (avoid grains, sugar and starchy veg). The biggest difference is that fats are ok (although i think the quantity is limited and you do need 'good' fats). And I think dairy is on the 'avoid' list too.

Laura, i've been on pv all week just to see what the result will be, and I'll keep you posted. it seems to me that dukan would work faster as a weight LOSS program, and paleo is better as a lifetime eating plan, but i think there are 'stricter' versions of paleo you can follow. so i'd suggest doing some reading before you change track. with a stone and a half to go, maybe dukan will get you there quicker? (but perhaps you can adapt it and keep doing just pv, if that is working for you?)

good luck girls

Cx

Been AWOL for a little while. Halo has slipped severely. Need to sort myself out sharpish! Never quite sure why this happens. Think it may have been that I'd been feeling a bit unwell with lots of bloating, lethargy and some other things that I'd rather not discuss :ashamed0005:. Hence I'm still a bit confused about what sort of diet I'm actually wanting to follow at the moment.

I love Paleo (my bowels do not however). So I may be steering towards keeping to mainly Paleo but the occasional portion of rice, quinoa or millet. I want to cut down on my meat and egg intake a bit too. Increase the amount of fish and green veg in my diet. I know this isn't sounding like any sort of diet at all at the moment. Guess I'm just making it up as I go along.

I eventually managed to see the Horizon episode on ADF. Really interesting watching. This is something else to consider. I really just want to feel as well as I possibly can.

O hun so sorry to read this and that you've been struggling and not feeling well ....I try to eat more fish than meat so it still sounds good to me and still fits in with the primal way ...I'm surei even read that quinoa is acceptable and mark advises it for vegetarians following the plan x sending you big hugs lovely xx

So after a couple of days thinking I have made some changes to things. Got the eating back under control and going with the healthy diet and IF. See how it goes. Feeling positive at the moment :)

Hi sorry for bumping...
I don't know much about paleo... But could you add some ground flaxseed to your diet? Would that be still paleo?
It has lots of fibre and really helped me with my little probs.

greeneyedhippychick said:
So after a couple of days thinking I have made some changes to things. Got the eating back under control and going with the healthy diet and IF. See how it goes. Feeling positive at the moment :)

Good to hear gorgeous keep us posted ...I've been struggling too after bad habits crept in on holiday ...fighting the sugar demons but they keep winning me every night :(:(

Really got to refocus from today on my goals as its making me feel like junk :(:( xxx

Hey girls! Glad to hear things are back on track, hippychick. And the avatar pic is gorgeous!

I've been away for holidays for a week, and started reading the primal blueprint on my way back. I am still mostly following dukan while I suss out the new plan, but think I'm going to keep away from the grains and carbs, and introduce some 'good' fats instead. I should probably cut the dairy too...

I wonder why your system is not doing so well on paleo: surely you get to eat more vegetables than with dukan? Are you still using oat bran? Not sure about flaxseed, but I use wheatgrass powder, mixed with a glass of water in the mornings. Even more fibre than oat bran.

Looking forward to reading more about primal living!

I seem to have really settled on my new, self designed mixture of plans. Feeling happy, healthy and positive. All bodily systems intact and working efficiently! Become a bit yoga obsessed. It's my number one priority when I get a bit of free time. Doing an hour every day and really enjoying it.

Life is good x

Great to hear! I think any long term plan has to be self-designed. I'm doing some experimenting now and just enjoying finding the best mix for me. I love yoga but never find the time to do it these days. Will try and kick myself up the bum this weekend and get going again!

Great weekend, gals.
Cx

Thank for the support Caro!

Weigh in..... 2lb loss. Big cheesy smile.

Hmmmmm cheeeeeese :)

Back