Pancake Day :-(

Hi Guys

Sorry if this has been posted before. As i'm sure you're all aware, it's pancaake day on Tuesday. We have a big thing in our house where my brother, his girlfriend and my two nephews come round and we have spag bol (ill be having meat and veg :p) and my mum cooks the pancakes and we all queue up with our plates lol. I knowwont be able to resist, question is how much damage I know it's batter, and my lemon and sugar topping is way less than ideal but if I get straight back on it the next day, with plenty of water and hopefully i'll have my cross trainer then.

Please don't say no :-( lol. seriously though, would appreciate your genuine thoughts as i've been 100% this week and don't want to throw it away.

Thanks xx

Low carb pancakes!

How about swapping out super-refined white flour for either:

a) bran flour
b) coconut flour
c) whey protein isolate?

Swap out the milk for:

a) coconut milk?
b) almond milk?
c) soya milk?

finish with lemon juice and splenda!

I bet loads have some great recipes on here

oooh that sounds interesting! mmm yes any other ideas recipes would be great. i've bought linseed so anything that can be done with this?

I think my mum uses yorkshire pudding mix and add eggs?? i'm guessing this is bad (am a total undomesticated person, i know nothing of cooking hence my love for high carb fast foods) hehe xx

Yeah yorkshire pudding mix is pretty much the same thing. It's the white flour, and to a lesser extent the milk, that contain the carbs.

I'm not sure about Linseed. I reckon you could, but the texture might be a bit strange for a pancake?

If I can find any coconut flour round my way before Tuesday I think I'm going to use that with coconut milk. Might even add a bit of flax since you say!

Do you want my honest opinion? I've been looking up carb counts on crepe type pancakes and Yorkshire puddings and they vary between about 10 - 18g carbs each, and that's before you add toppings. If you have one and switch your sugar to splenda you might scrape by. More than that and you could still be lucky and see a loss this week - but probably less than it was, or you might stay the same or gain a little water weight. You'll also knock yourself out of ketosis almost certainly which will slow your loss down next week too.

It's a choice and whichever one you make is totally fair enough as long as you're prepared to get right back on and stay 100 percent so you get losing again. There are occasions important enough for me' to step off the wagon but - even if you are lucky with it this time - you can't do it every week or every month and still expect results. Personally I ordered a low carb crepe mix to try, though I don't know if it will be any good.

I think there's a recipe for flax pancakes somewhere in the mim thread. Eggs simply mixed with Philly cream cheese and splenda make a surprisingly good American style pancake.

Good luck and have fun whichever you decide.

Coconut milk is dead easy - I picked some up at Tescos a couple of days ago. I'm not too sure about the coconut flour - I'm interested in where I can get this from too (help!). I think I might check out the Food Weighouse and see if they've got any.

hi rosebug, no i would prefer your honest opinion rather than tell me pancakes are hunky dory and i eat 10 (yeh thats my usual amount! eek). i'm usually a lucky person on diets and i lose weight fairly easily, its just my willpower always lets me down, so if i don't expect a loss next week i'm hoping i'd still lose afterwards. I think i'll try for the coconut milk/flour and either way, just limit myself to 1 or 2 and stuff myself with my tea and water beforehand :) thanks for your input guys

2oz marscapone
2 eggs
Tablespoon double cream

Whisk well together - takes a while to get smooth.
Fry thin layer and flip over.
Tah dah!!!! Low carb pancakes!

ok how about this?

1 Egg per pancake
2-3 Teaspoons sweetener (depending on own taste)
3-4 Drops of vanilla essence

First seperate the white from the yolk and put into separate bowls, Whisk the egg white until fluffy and add the sweetener, In the other bowl add the vanilla essence then fold the yolk into the egg white
Heat a frying pan with butter\oil, add the mix and spread as you would a normal pancake after a few mins flip over (But do be careful they are much more delicate than a regular pancake)

This is how I used to make pancakes on slimming world so I was just wondering to all you experts out there... would this be ok it all looks legal to me as long as the sweetner and vanilla are tweaked?

I hope so I completely forgot about these until I saw this post :D

Hello WCC
The SW ones are good but the addition of cream and marscapone makes for a more traditional pancake texture and also keeps the fat content up which is more Atkins friendly. You can add vanilla and sweetner if you fancy it or pepper, herbs etc for savoury. You can also cool them and use them for wraps, enchiladas or as an alterative lasagne sheet/canellonni. It also works in muffin trays as an alternative yourkshire pud! :)

Thanks jupiter I never thought of adding cream :) I can't have marscapone yet still on induction. Would the above be ok with the addition of cream?

I think you need the marscapone for the right texture and to make it less 'eggy'! Can you not have cream cheese on induction? It's very low carb! Even if it's not strictly allowed I doubt much harm would be done just for a pancake day 'one off' ;) x

I could try it with the cream cheese, only on day 5 so want to be as clean as I can. Thanks for the idea got another one now as well as my other one :)

Oh I definately will may not be for a few days but I will try it... always nice to have something different to try.

oooh that seems much more user friendly. i'm the type of person who get toast wrong. does cream cheese, eggs and cream really work? i would have thought there would have had to be some sort of 'floury' ingredient in there

Back