pasta doritos no longer free

BikerAngel

Silver Member
:cry: at class today we were giving tips for snacks to eat when we have munchies and go to grab crisps or chocolate and I suggested to make the doritos with the sheets of lasagne. We were horrified to find out they are no longer free and now have to be syned as classed as a snack so not free on either green or ee. Not sure if it has been mentioned on here but just thought I'd post to let others know. :sigh:

Yes we were told that but you can still eat microwaved crisps as a batch is no more than one new potato whereas you could easily eat 3 or 4 sheets of lasagne

different C's say different things. Ours explained that instead of putting all the slices on top of a dish you are making save some for crisps.

it is sheets of lasagne which are boiled to cook then cut into triangles like doritos and you spray baking sheet with fry light and then you can season whatever flavour you want I use paprika and then lay them on and put sprinkling of flavour over and spray with frylight and pop in oven but watch as they don't take long to cook. Our consultant said today she syns them as 2 if she has now and that is usually approx 6 sheets she uses

My take on this, and it's what our C says too is that it's fine to use free food in this way, even when it's classed as food abuse, so long as you are aware of it. If you have these kinds of things regular, and you weight loss slows down, then it's worth rethinking these kinds of snacks, if you're still losing 1-2lbs a week, then there's not really much need to change.

I don't know if we'll ever get the definitive answer to this one. We discuss this with our old favourite the chick pea/cous cous cakes.
Different consultants say different things, that's true, so with this in mind, I email SW last week explaining this and asking for the "offical head office line".
I haven't had an answer yet, but will post when and if I get one!!

I can sort of understand this and then again I can't. If i am hungry i might make myself a huge bowl of pasta or batch of potatoe wedges to munch on. How is that any better or worse than making crisps. It sounds like your counsellor is saying that you cant use free food for snacks but that is not right we are actively encouraged to use free food for snacking on. hmmmm think this one is still personal preference.

I guess these type of snack food would not fill you up.

I can sort of understand this and then again I can't. If i am hungry i might make myself a huge bowl of pasta or batch of potatoe wedges to munch on. How is that any better or worse than making crisps. It sounds like your counsellor is saying that you cant use free food for snacks but that is not right we are actively encouraged to use free food for snacking on. hmmmm think this one is still personal preference.
If you have a full meal and are then wanting a snack you could still eat lots of crisps but you couldn't eat lots of potato wedges. Hope that makes sense

If you have a full meal then are wanting a snack straightaway you haven't really had a full meal!

I see some of the pictures on the food photos post and I think omg that wouldn't fill me up, one chicken breast, three new potatoes and a teaspoon of veg! No wonder some people go off plan and over-syn on snack things and treats.

I think there has to be some kind of healthy balance, eat a full meal and don't fill up on snacks. If you want a treat, you shouldn't be so hungry for that treat that you overindulge in it!

I know that sounds kinda sanctimonious and i'm really really sorry, but I am a firm believer in the plan and how it works.

Hmmm....I still make them. I dont eat them very often. I think like all things its in moderation.
I know someone that still counts corned beef as free and he has lost 3 stone.
It makes me think sometimes that if the plan wasnt changed every so often people wouldnt need to go to class and the numbers would fall.

I'm making SW crisps tonight to go in my home made houmous cos i'm on one of my only two green days a week and you can't stop me, muahahahaha!

I need to know how to make these darn crisps. please?

I spray a plate with frylight, thinly slice a potato and place each slice on the plate, dont let them overlap and cook in the microwave until golden. Mine usually take around 6-8 mins (1000w). Take them out let them cool so they go crispy and enjoy.

They are not free though. I believe they are 3.5 syns for 28g.

found these in the recipes the other day if it helps

Thanks! I might well try these tomorrow! x

I used to make the lasagne doritos for a weekend if I was having a glass of wine and needed to have snack with it as everyone else was munching sensations thai sweet chilli crisps or pringles so I didn't feel left out. I never use them as a snack other than that as I am full at meal times and don't need that. I fill my plate with half veg then 1/4 protein and 1/4 carbs as a rule but that depends on if I am doing ee or red/green days as it has to correspond with that.

ouch thats a sore one, I was doing ee then changed to red/green for change and didn't realise I had to syn peas and sweetcorn on a red day so that mucked up my week but didn't show on scales thank goodness

Back