Paul McKenna ?

katsmad64

Morning has any one done the Paul McKenna I can make you thin ? Had a quick read it seems to make sense only eating when hungry stop when full etc ... Thought it could work quite well with SW didn't know if anyone had any thoughts ? :) x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com mobile app

I did it on and off for a few months. It made a lot of sense. However, I didn't really lose on it, maybe a few lb max. I found it quite stressful having to think constantly about whether I was hungry. Sometimes life gets in the way and you can't eat what you fancy and take time over it. And I think he underestimated how much some of us have screwed with our appetites, sugar addictions etc over the years. or how issues like hormone problems can make us crave bad things. Also we aren't living on a natural environment but are bombarded with advertising with fatty, sugar food easily available. And if you don't learn how to make healthy versions of food, as SW encourages,how can you ever choose to want them?

The main time it helped me was on holiday when I ate delicious Mediterranean food, enjoyed it, and realised I was too full for pudding.

Mckenna is very anti diet and would thoroughly disapprove of combining his method with SW. But I think it could work well. You're re educating your body out of old bad habits and tastes, while at the same time preparing for a more confident relationship with food lifelong. With SW there can be a tendency to just inhale all the free food, and it helps you stop and think and fully enjoy it.

Gwella thanks makes a lot of sense what you have said I am an over eater and can go a bit mad with SW as it's " free food " but some days well most I can never get full how ever much food I eat ! Would like to be able to control portion sizes :) x

Hi,

I have tried the McKenna way in the past.
The book does make sense ( I can't listen to the CD as it makes me fall asleep!) as it's simple thinking. Am I hungry? No, then don't eat it.
I haven't ever stuck to it religiously but I do find that when I'm making conscious decisions about food and eating I make better decisions.
As soon as I start to think about hunger and do I really need it etc I feel more on it and motivated.
It's a good basic guide but if you stick to it 100% you must be very strict!

I've tried Paul McKennas technique a few times and there was one time that it actually clicked and I was so close to using his technique all the time without really thinking about it. However, the old self-sabotage reared its ugly head and the binges started again. It does work and what he says is true, I've watched naturally slim people eat and found that they are doing exactly what he's saying in his book. They stop eating when they're full and they eat what they want. However, I've been eating poorly for so long I find it really difficult to move into that kind of mind-set. That's why I use SW as it's a good eating plan and you can eat as much free food as you want. I do try to keep Paul McKennas techniques in the back of my mind when I'm eating though and try to not eat when I'm not hungry and to stop eating before I get completely full and I find that I get better losses in weeks where I'm able to do this. However, it's not that easy thinking about food and hunger levels all the time, which is why I found it hard to stick to.

SW suggest similar techniques anyway, such as portion control and not overeating just because the food is there. Also, Paul McKenna says to eat what you want. I can understand this; however, unless you can stop when you're full 100% of the time and recognise when you're full in the first place, this can lead to a lot of overeating. I don't always have time to stop and think about what I'm eating, I usually have to work through lunch so I'm eating as I work. I find it better to just have something healthy like a salad and chicken so it won't matter if I overeat a bit.

I love his voice on the cd's. I fell asleep too but seemingly thats ok as you subconciously hear it!! Tried to listen to it while doing the ironing but couldnt concentrate

Been doing the Paul McKenna "system " for a couple of days and seems to be working so far ! Not really been over thinking the food just eating what I want and not what I think I should and for now I'm not obsessing and getting stressed switching diets also decided to stop weighing everyday which isn't good for me . I do feel much better and a weight has been lifted off for now I know I have had a problem with food in the past so hope I can move forward I really have too much going on to let the food battle take over my life fingers crossed ! :) x

Back