Personal trainer

RachelN76

Had my second session with a personal trainer today.

Really, really hard - but felt really good for doing it. Even though I can't do half the stuff he does with some of his fitter clients!

I was a bit dubious about trying it, because I thought I'd be the fattest most unfit person he'd ever seen. But if I am, he hasn't shown it!

It's really good to have someone to show you some different exercises, give your exercise routine a bit of variety, and just push you that bit harder.

Has anyone else used a personal trainer?

I've known one of the trainers from my gym for about 4 years and I bought a block of sessions from him. I loved the feeling of someone else planning my workouts and not letting me quit no matter what my excuse. I can't afford to pay for it atm and I really miss him :(

I have been using a personal trainer since February and really enjoy the fact that you are getting one to one training. Its not cheap thing to do, but I have found it has helped me to re-gain the confidence to hit this weight loss/fitness regime full on now. I have only got one more month left using my trainer before I have to stop as the school holidays will be starting, but hopefully I have found the determination to carry on during the hols.
I hope you carry on enjoying your trainer. :)

I'm going to have a break in the school holidays as well. I can't afford it every week, so I'll probably have a block of 6, then a break, then another block etc.

:8855:After a very hard PT session today, what did this mad woman do, went and booked another month session.

My name is Tigger and I am a PT addict..:sigh::)

I loved the feeling of someone else planning my workouts and not letting me quit no matter what my excuse.

On my last PT session I wanted to quit as I felt light headed and not well. He told me that in no circumstance that I should quit. Cut to a few minutes later and I've pass out!

He is no longer my PT, and I feel it should have listened to me more. Not keen on the others that work at my gym currently unfortunately. :(

On my last PT session I wanted to quit as I felt light headed and not well. He told me that in no circumstance that I should quit. Cut to a few minutes later and I've pass out!

He is no longer my PT, and I feel it should have listened to me more. Not keen on the others that work at my gym currently unfortunately. :(

That's terrible! He shouldn't be a PT with that attitude. I think some of them must model their approach on what they see on the Biggest Loser, which is NOT real life :D

I'm just coming to the end of a 10x1hour block of PT sessions, and I think they have been great.
The PT really pushed me, much much harder than I would push myself, and has also taught me a variety of exercises and the reasoning behind them, which is useful.
I was going to book another block, but I've decided to have a break for a while - mainly due to the cost, which is hard to justify, but also if I do it myself for a while, I'll hopefully be fitter and stronger when I come back to the PT which means I can change up my workout.

I so agree with Scanbran, that is really bad of your PT to have that type of attitude, you at the end of the day are paying for his services and you should not feel like that.

I am very lucky with my trainer and he so works me hard as well. Best thing I ever did. Since I have been using him (started in Feb) I have lost 11lbs, 3.5 inches off my waist and 1.5inches off my huge hips.
He pushes me more than I would ever push myself and definately has given me the incentive to be able to carry on during the summer hols.
I ache today in parts that I did not think I could ache. He did a circuit with me so I did alot of boxing as well and have to face him tomorrow as well:8855::8855:

I've recently started working with a PT, and can't believe the difference its made to my fitness levels almost immediately! I think what makes it work for me is I've never pushed myself at all, when I used to go to the gym on my own I'd barely break in to a sweat, however when I've done an hour with her, I am literally dripping in sweat :eek:

I've signed up to do a 400k cycle ride in Kenya for charity next year, so getting a PT was in preparation for that, and I am so glad I did, as she really has given me total confidence that I'll do the challenge, no bother! :)

I've recently started working with a PT, and can't believe the difference its made to my fitness levels almost immediately! I think what makes it work for me is I've never pushed myself at all, when I used to go to the gym on my own I'd barely break in to a sweat, however when I've done an hour with her, I am literally dripping in sweat :eek:

I've signed up to do a 400k cycle ride in Kenya for charity next year, so getting a PT was in preparation for that, and I am so glad I did, as she really has given me total confidence that I'll do the challenge, no bother! :)

WOW that is a great goal to aim for next year, what a fantastic experience that will be - apart from hard work.
It is so great that you gain that confidence from our PT's I stopped saying "I cant do that" although saying that I still cant do the Plank I always end up flat on my face laughing - but I will get there:8855:

Good luck with your WI and have a good PT session..my b*m is really aching from so much boxing and squats yesterday so it will be interesting to see what he makes me do..LOL

Good luck with your WI and have a good PT session..my b*m is really aching from so much boxing and squats yesterday so it will be interesting to see what he makes me do..LOL

Thanks, and, er....dunno what to say :D

I will say that the PT focuses hard on squats. I have to do about 120 squats in various guises and forms during my session, so I FEEL your pain :eek:

Squats aren't exercises, they're just some form of medieval torture!!! I hate doing squats. And then I have to do lunges as well - they jhurt just as bad, but you have to balance as well!

I'm really aching from my latest session - I think it was the kettlebell swings that really got me this time.

Thanks, and, er....dunno what to say :D

I will say that the PT focuses hard on squats. I have to do about 120 squats in various guises and forms during my session, so I FEEL your pain :eek:

My pain got worse today with the introduction of 8kg kettle bells - :asskick:!!!!

Boy does it work your thighs and bum...:8855:

Last edited:
Oh, yes, I forgot about the lunges!

I HATE them.

I got the kettle bell swing things as well. Seemed easy for the first 30 seconds...then I had to do it all over again another 5 times - AARGH! :mad:

I've just been sweet-talked by my trainer into booking another block of sessions :eek:

I can't really afford it, but will sell some junk on ebay to raise the funds - I feel so many benefits from training properly, and I don't want to just go it alone yet - I still need the discipline and the focus that organised sessions provide :eek:

Oh well, if it helps get me where I want to be by the Autumn, it will be money well spent.

I've just been sweet-talked by my trainer into booking another block of sessions :eek:

I can't really afford it, but will sell some junk on ebay to raise the funds - I feel so many benefits from training properly, and I don't want to just go it alone yet - I still need the discipline and the focus that organised sessions provide :eek:

Oh well, if it helps get me where I want to be by the Autumn, it will be money well spent.

I know just how you feel - even if I follow the same programme on my own, I just don't feel as confident as when my PT is there. I definitely don't push myself as much on my own either. My PT is on hols this week, and I know I'm not doing as well without her :eek:

Like you, I'm trying to look at the cost as an investment in my health and fitness to justify it - and surely there's no better justification than improving your health :)

After another tough session with my trainer this morning I realised that although its been hard to find the money sometimes (I only work part-time) it has so been worth it.

After 4 months he has taken the exercise up a notch over the last week or so and today I did exercises that I so knew I would have not be able to do back then. If someone had said to me that you would be able to do the plank and hold it for 30 secs I would have laughed - but today I managed it, not once but twice.!!

This is another piece of equipment that he uses alot with me and its great!!

YouTube - TRX Suspension Training with Todd Durkin

I have now dropped a dress size as well and have to start remembering to look at 14's and not 16/18's any more.

Feeling very proud of myself today.

So I am starting to save again now for sessions after the summer holidays.. Somehow I will have to dig deep and find the motivation to carry on during the holidays. At least my boxing class carries on.

Well done you! Size 14 is awesome and it's one of my big goals, then I'll know I'll be able to shop anywhere!

I agree it's so worth it. I do some of the exercises my PT has taught me when I'm at the gym on my own, but I just don't push myself as hard as he pushes me.

Back