Pescie/veggie red days?

Tinsel81

Do any vegetarians/pescetarians do red days as well as green days? I have heard mixing them up results in better weight loss but don't fancy fish for my breakfast, dinner and tea! A bit awkward with partner too, as we have the same evening meal usually and he doesn't eat any meat or meat substitutes (so Quorn is out). More hassle than it's worth? Or does anyone have any tips?

I do sometimes. I usually have cereal for brekkie using healthy extras. Think ive only had fish for brekkie once or twice and that was scrambled egg and smoked salmon!

I find on red days i eat a lot more superfree than green and as they say variety is the spice of life.

Have a red day planned for tomorrow-fajitas for tea, you could cook some chicken separately for hubby?

I have the occasional meat-free red day. I have fruit for breakfast every day and often veg soup, ryvita (HexB) and cheese (HexA) for lunch so it could be red or green, even if scrambled egg, mushroom and tomato and fruit and yoghurt were had for breakfast followed by a cauldron of soup, salad, omelette and a cheese and onion sandwich for lunch!

My OH wouldn't touch Quorn with a bargepole, but I don't find it too hard to cater for us both. Example red dinners:

Quorn sausages (meat sausages for him) with butternut squash mash
Fish pie with carrot and swede topping
Roast butternut squash (or courgette / aubergine / beef tomatoes)stuffed with roast veg and feta cheese
Fish and chips (HexB for potatoes - not too stingy a portion either)
Quorn bolognaise (make a beef bolognaise for OH, all the same veg, just an extra pan to wash!) with HexA pasta (35g dry weight - not a lot IMO)
HexB jacket potato with tuna, spring onion, peppers, chopped egg
Prawn and veg stirfy
Tuna steak with ratatouille
Veggie omelette (can make him a ham one)

Sometimes I do a portion of meat on the side, so we might both have roast veg and couscous, but he'll have a big fat steak on the side, or I'll have egg, beans and chips and he'll have bacon, egg, beans and chips... on green days of course.

If he's not happy with that, show him where the kitchen is ;)

Thanks for the ideas! Actually it doesn't seem so hard, as long as I use my HEB choices wisely. Partner is a veggie of 20 years who unlike me also doesn't eat Quorn or fish, but I could easily do side veg for us both and then Quorn sausages/fish for me and a cauliflower cheese grill or something for him. I think I'll just do one red day per week though: not nearly so much fun as a green day!

Oops, totally did not read your original post properly and didn't realise your OH was veggie - oops!

I have to say I find red days more effort than green and do not notice any difference in my losses from changing plan - good luck with your weight loss :)

I do vegan red days sometimes and they're not hard. I have lots of tofu...so tofu frittata, tofu scramble, tofu stir fry/curry. Or I do soy mince chilli without any rice. I did have great losses doing vegan red days but they do require a lot of planning and I can never really be bothered :p

It's just like a green day but cutting back on the carbs and having more protein. I always feel like I'm on a carb overload when I do green days, which can be a good thing but can leave me feeling sluggish afterwards

So it would be same as a green day but with less carbs? I get loads of protein for nowt on green anyway. This is what I don't understand.

Think I will stick with green - would cry if I couldn't have my spuds lol

Good luck, Tinsel, with whatever works for you.

Sure you can get more than enough protein on green days, but I find I focus on high protein foods when I cut back on the carbs, they're what keeps me full on red days :D It's just a way of shaking the diet up a bit, which personally helps me with my losses.

Back