2tbsp of light soy sauce
2tbsp oyster sauce (2syn/2=1syn each)
2 eggs (ff)

* Extra's
100g beansprouts (s) (sff)
Dark soy sauce
1tsp Turmeric

Method

In a saucepan add rice & water with a ratio of 1part rice to 3 parts water, add termeric if you want to colour the rice, bring to the boil them simmer until the water is used up, remove from the pan and tip into a sieve, replace the sieve on top of the pan, cover with a lid and allow to steam for a few minutes, set aside & allow to cool.

In a small dish mix together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, Chinese 5 spice & sesame oil

Break the eggs into a small bowl, season, beat with chopsticks or a fork.

In a wok, sprayed with Fry Light, heat the chicken then add the onions & peas, cook together, (plus any extra's) then add the spices & rice, cook for 5 mins.

In the wok move the food to one side and add the egg, whisk rapidly using the chopsticks or fork until it starts to set then mix with the rice & chicken, season, cook for 10 mins until well mixed and hot.

Serve in a warmed dish, add dark soy sauce if you want.

Hi Pete

Thanks a million for all your recipes! They're fab & I love the egg fried rice. I was making it again this evening & noticed the syns. I just wanted to double check that it's correct that 1 tbsp sesame oil is 2 syns. The book seems to suggest that all oil is 6 syns for a tbsp. Or maybe the recipe should say 1 tsp rather than 1 tbsp?

Hi Sinead.
Thank,s for spotting that mistake, I will alter the recipe! It should, as you said, be 2 syn per tsp!
Pete

Hi Shrinki.
Yes, I am half Swiss but haven't been for many years, the high altitude last time made me quite ill! Would love to live there but I couldn't afford it! The family hotel,is still standing but no relatives left to run it, all gone now.
Pete

I made Pete's rice without the Sesame oil 'cos didn't have any and still tasted amayzzzing and is a real winner in our family x

bilsat said:
Hi Sinead.
Thank,s for spotting that mistake, I will alter the recipe! It should, as you said, be 2 syn per tsp!
Pete

Thanks Pete.

Pete's Herb Chicken

Pete’s Herb Chicken
(Based loosely on a James Martin recipe)

Serves 2

Ingredients

1 Chilli, deseeded (s) (sff)
1 Lime, cut into wedges (ss) (sff)
1 lemon, zested & juiced (ss) (sff)
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (1Heb)
3 Tbsp. 0% Yoghurt (ff)
5g coriander leaves
5g Parsley
15mm cube of ginger, peeled
15g mint leaves
20g basil leaves
100g long grain rice (ff)
325g pack of thigh fillets (ff)

Method

Cut the chicken into large chunks, place in a large bowl, set aside.

In a food possessor place the herb leaves, chilli, ginger, lemon zest & 1tbsp juice, olive oil & yoghurt, puree to a smooth paste.

Season & pour over the chicken, mix well, cover & marinade for at least 1 hour in the fridge.

Preheat the oven to 180c.

Remove the chicken from the fridge, place in a oven tray, sprayed with Fry Light, cook for 30 mins or until cooked, turn over to cook evenly, spoon the sauce over the chicken.

Cook the rice as per instructions on the packaging.

Serve with lime wedges on a bed of rice and a light salad.

Herb Chicken (Small).JPGHerb Chicken-2 (Small).JPG

Pete's Mushrooms, Peas & Rice

Pete’s Mushrooms, Peas & Rice

Serves 2

Ingredients

1 Onion, finely chopped (s) (sff)
1tsp low fat margarine (1 syn/2=0.5 syn)
50g frozen peas (ss) (ff)
100g long grain rice (ff)
125g button mushrooms (s) (sff)
300mL skimmed milk (6 syns/2=3 syns or 1Hea)
Schultz garlic, mushroom & cream sauce (4.5 syns/2=>2 syns)
Salt & Pepper

Method

Measure the amount of rice that you want, add 3 times the amount of water, bring to the boil and cook until the water has been cooked away, remove from the heat, drain in a sieve, return to the heat in the sieve, reduce the heat to it’s lowest, cover and steam for a few minutes, set to one side & keep warm.
In a saucepan cook the onions until soft, add the frozen peas, mix well, cook for a further 5 mins then add to the rice.
In another saucepan add the margarine & mushrooms, cook for 5 mins stirring to coat the mushrooms, season, set aside & keep warm.
Make the mushroom sauce as per the packet instructions, plate up.

Mushrooms, Peas & Onion (Small).JPG

Pete's Chilli Con Carni (revisited)

Pete’s Chilli Con Carni (Revisited)

Serves 2

Ingredients

1 Red Onion, finely chopped (s) (sff)
1 Chilli, deseeded & chopped (s) (sff)
1 Carrot, sliced thinly (s) (sff)
1 Knorr “Herb stockpot”
1tsp cumin
1tsp hot paprika
3 Garlic, finely chopped (sff)
250g Lean Beef Mince (ff)
300mL made with a Knorr “dark beef stockpot”
400g Chopped Tomatoes (s) (sff)
400g Red Kidney Beans (s) (ff)
Salt & Pepper

Method

In a dry frying pan cook the mince until browned, add the onions, garlic, carrot, chilli, cumin & paprika cook for 10 mins add the “herb” stockpot & allow to infuse.

Add the tomatoes & kidney beans, season with salt & pepper & ½ the beef stock, bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a medium simmer until the liquid has reduced, add the remaining stock & reduce to a low simmer for 20 mins.

Better if taken off the heat & allowed to cool then reheated at a later time.

Chilli Con Carni Revisited (Small).JPG

I have read your thread from start to finish and its fantastic and has given me so many idea's for dinners. Thanks for taking the time to do this, much appreciated x

Pete's Chicken Korma

Pete’s Chicken Korma

Serves 2

Ingredients

1 large onion, finely chopped (s) (sff)
1cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled & finely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
1/2tsp turmeric
1/2tsp ground cumin
1/2tsp ground coriander
1/2tsp Chinese 5 spice
1tbsp cornflower mixed with 1tbsp of water (3.5 syns/2=1.75 syns per person )
1tbsp Sweetener
2 bay leaves
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (sff)
4 tablespoons passata (s) (sff)
*25g flaked almonds (1 Heb on green per person)
100g Basmati rice, cooked as per packet instructions (ff)
175g fat free natural yogurt (ff)
230g skinless chicken breasts (ff) (1Heb on green per person)
250ml chicken stock
* leave out or syn at 25g=7.5 syns if not on green

Method

In a dry frying pan cook the chicken until browned, remove and set aside.
Spray the frying pan with Fry Light; cook the onions, ginger, cinnamon stick & bay leaves for 5 mins until the onions are soft.
Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander & 5 spice, mix well.
Return the chicken, chicken stock, passata & sweetener; simmer for 20 mins until the chicken is fully cooked.
Reduce the heat Add the yoghurt mixed with the cornflower and mix, cook for 5 mins, remove from the heat, remove the bay leaves & cinnamon stick, sprinkle the almonds on top, serve with basmati rice.

Chicken Korma (Small).JPG

Last edited:
What a fantastic thread! So much to try, I was intitally looking for sweet things, egg custards on the list for tomorrow! Didn't have time to read the whole thread so hoping I've not missed anything too yummy!

Thanks Pete!

Pete's Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup

Pete’s Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup

Serves 4

Ingredients

*¼Ltr hot water
½tsp Hot madras curry powder
½Ltr Chicken stock made with a knorr stockpot
1tsp Cumin
1 Cinnamon stick
300g Baby carrots (s) (sff)
300g Sweet Potato (ff)
* optional

Method

In a saucepan, sprayed with Fry Light, cook the onions until soft. Add the sweet potato, carrots & hot madras curry powder, cook for 10 mins then remove from the heat, take the cinnamon stick out & with a hand blender, reduce to a paste, return to the heat, season, reduce the heat to a simmer, if too thick add the water or if you like it thicker, then leave the water out, mix and leave cooking for a further 10 mins.
Plate up.

Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup (Small).JPG

Pete's Sweet Potato Chips

Pete’s Sweet Potato Chips

Ingredients

Sweet Potato Sea Salt

Method

Preheat the oven to 200C.
Cut the unpeeled sweet potato into similar sized “chips”
Dry them on a paper towel.
Spray an oven proofed dish with Fry Light, lay the “chips” in a single row with space between them, sprinkle with sea salt, cook for 10 mins, remove from the oven and turn over, return for a further 10 mins, check if cooked as you like them, if not continue to cook until done. Remove and sprinkle with your favourite seasoning.

Sweet Potato Chips (Small).JPG

Thanks for the recipes Pete - I'm making your chicken chassuer tonight. One question regarding some of your other recipes - you use lazy garlic and ginger. Could you tell me if it would be the same quantities for using fresh garlic/ginger, or is the lazy kind more concentrated.

Back