Pete's Recipe Book

Had the sausage and bacon casserole from pg.7 tonight - with added carrot and kidney bens instead of cannelini beans. Was delish thanks!

Pete's Khumbi Curry

Pete’s Khumbi Curry
(Based loosely on “Curry Heaven)

Serves: 2

Ingredients

½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp coriander
½ tsp hot madras chilli powder
1 onion, peeled and finely grated (s) (sff)
1 tbsp. tomato purée (s) (sff)
*1 tbsp. cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp. water
3cm cube of finely grated ginger
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed (sff)
4 tbsp Yeo Valley natural yogurt (3yn/2=1.5syn per person)
100g boiled rice (ff)
250g button mushrooms, halves or quartered (s) (sff)
Cupful of frozen peas (ff)
* optional

Method

Spray a large non-stick wok with Fry Light, add the onion & garlic and stir-fry for 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the mushrooms, spices, cook for 5 mins, add the yogurt, 1 tablespoon at a time. (If the yoghurt splits add the cornflour) add the tomato purée and stir-fry for 1 minute before adding 300ml/½ pint of water, peas, season well and simmer gently for 5-6 minutes (do not boil). Serve with a bowl of rice.

Khumbi Curry (Small).JPGKhumbi Curry-2 (Small).JPG

That looks yum and I have button mushrooms i need to use up.

I like the look of the Khumbi curry,I may have to put that on the menu for this week.

Pete's Mini Pizza (Revisited)

Pete’s Pizza (Revisited)
Serves 2
Ingredients
125g Instant mash (ff)
1 Red onion, sliced thinly (s) (sff)
1tbsp dried chives
1tbsp basil
Shake of garlic salt
Shake of black pepper

Toppings
45g Mozzarella cheese (1Hea) or 7syns for 50g
45g Reduced fat Cheddar (1Hea) or 7syns for 50g
6 slices Chorizo sausage (0.5syn each slice)
6 tbsp. passata (s) (sff)
1tbsp Worcester sauce
1 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. tomato puree
Pineapple slices (s) (sff) (0.5syn)

Method
Cook the onion until soft & set aside.
Make up the instant mash as per the packet instructions, add the onion & seasoning, mix well, leave for a few minutes, and adjust the mix until it is “dough” like. On a clean, flat surface place the mix, cover in Clingfilm & rollout until about 5-8mm thick, remove the Clingfilm and using a bowl the same size as your small frying pan cut around, continue until you have used up the mix, reworking any left over.
In a small frying pan, cook each one until lightly browned and free in the frying pan to move, turnover and repeat, remove and leave on a cake rack to cool.
Mix the Passata, Worcester sauce, balsamic vinegar & tomato puree together, then coat each base, add the cheddar, shared between all of them, add your topping, then finish with Mozzarella. Preheat the oven to 200C and cook for 20-30 mins until the cheese has melted but not burnt!
Mini Pizza (Small).JPGMini Pizza-2 (Small).JPGMini Pizza-3 (Small).JPGMini Pizza-4 (Small).JPGMini Pizza-5 (Small).JPG

You are a genius Pete! I tried your KFC style chicken last night and it was delicious, I am definitely going to have to give those pizzas a try as well :) You should make your recipes into a book. I would have never thought of most the things you have made! I will be recommending people to check this thread out at my SW group on Thursday! x

Pete's Jollop Rice

Pete’s Jollof Rice

Serves 2

Ingredients

1 Red onion, finely sliced (s) (sff)
1 Green Chilli, finely sliced (s) (sff)
2 Garlic cloves, finely sliced (sff)
3cm Cube of ginger, finely sliced
75g Sugar snap peas (s) (sff)
100g Basmati Rice (ff)
250mL Vegetable stock
400mL Chopped tomatoes (s) (sff)

Method

Cook the onion, chilli, garlic, ginger & tomatoes in a large frying pan sprayed with Fry Light, bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer & add rice, peppers & stock. Season well and simmer for 25-30 mins with a lid on or until the stock has been absorbed by the rice, add the snap peas 5 mins before serving, remove from the heat & fluff the rice, serve with a side salad.
Jollop Rice (Small).JPG

Pete’s Turkey meatballs with Taggiatelli

Pete’s Turkey meatballs with Taggiatelli

Serves 2

Ingredients

1 egg (ff)
1 slice of a 400g wholemeal loaf (3 syns) or ½ Heb
1 Onion, finely chopped (s) (sff)
1tsp garlic salt
1tbsp chopped parsley
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (sff)
30g/1 rounded tbsp. parmesan cheese, grated (1.5 syn) OR 1Hea
140g taggiatelli (ff)
250g turkey mince (s) (ff)
Salt & pepper

Ragu sauce

1 carrot , finely chopped (s) (sff)
1 stick of celery, finely chopped (s) (sff)
1 Knorr “herb” stockpot
3 garlic cloves (sff)
1tbsp dried oregano
1tbsp dried basil
410g tin of chopped tomatoes (s) (sff)
250g passata (s) (sff)
1tbsp tomato puree (s) (sff)
1tsp sweetener

Method

In a mini food processor chop up the bread, parsley, onion, garlic, garlic salt & parmesan cheese.
In a grass bowl place the turkey mince, add the ingredients from the processor, mix well, and add the egg, salt & pepper, mix & using wet hands form 12 meatballs, place on a plate, cover, and place in a fridge for at least 1 hour. Heat a frying pan sprayed with Fry Light, cook the meatballs, 6 at a time until browned.
Make the ragu sauce by cooking the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, tomatoes, passata & sweetener, add the herbs & stockpot, simmer for 30 mins, add the meatballs or leave the ragu to reheat later, (better taste) prepare the taggiatelli as per instructions on the packet, simmer the ragu for a further 20-30 mins until the meatballs are hot, serve with a sprinkling of parsley.

Meatballs in Ragu with Tagiatelle (Small).JPG

Last edited:
Pete's Asparagus & Pea Risotto

Pete’s Asparagus & Pea Risotto

Serves 2

Ingredients

1 Clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 Cup of frozen peas (s) (ff)
1tsp low salt butter (1.5syn)
100g Arborio rice (ff)
250g Asparagus, washed & trimmed (s) (sff)
Lemon juice (ss) (sff)
Knorr “veg” stockpot
Sprinkling of Parmesan cheese
Salt & Pepper

Method

Wash the asparagus and break each one by bending until it naturally snaps, peel the stems.
Boil a saucepan of salted water add the asparagus & reduce to a simmer , cook for 3-5 mins depending on the size of the asparagus, remove and plunge into a bowl of iced water, remove & dry, cut into small pieces, set aside. Keep 1Ltr of the cooking water, hot, for stock, add the stockpot, leave on a low heat.
In a deep saucepan sprayed with Fry Light, cook the onion & garlic for 5 mins, add the rice, add the lemon juice & mix, cook until coated, add hot stock 2 ladles at a time, stirring continuous, cook on a medium heat, repeat until the stock has almost been used up, add the peas & asparagus, finish the remaining stock.
Add the Parmesan cheese, a knob of butter & mix, cover for 2 mins & serve.

Asparagus & Pea Risotto (Small).JPG

So many great ideas, going to doo my food diary and plan some in!! x

Hi Pete,
Made your tomato soup yesterday, it was delicious! Had to use a carton of passata (with garlic & herbs) as only had one small tin of tomatoes. Sooo good!

Also a small spoonful of half fat creme fraiche mixed in is lovely :) thank you!!! X

Glad you enjoyed it! All my recipes can be altered to suit your needs or what ingredients you have, I find that adding different ingredients can sometimes make a great change to the taste of the food, Keep on experimenting & good luck.
Pete

Pete’s Peanut Curry (Revisited)

Pete’s Peanut Curry (Revisited)

(Adopted from Tesco’s real food booklet)

Not suitable for people with nut allergies

Serves 2

Ingredients

150g Pre-cooked chicken (s) (ff)
1 Onion (s) (sff)
1 chilli, deseeded & finely chopped (s) (sff)
1 Pepper, finely chopped (s) (sff)
1 Knorr “herb stockpot”
1tsp cumin
1tsp coriander
1tsp turmeric
1tbsp madras curry powder
1tbsp tomato puree (s) (sff)
1tbsp sweetener
2 Garlic cloves (sff)
2cm Ginger, grated
2tbsp smooth/crunchy peanut butter 9syns/2=4.5syns each person
200mL hot water
400g chopped tomatoes (s) (sff)

Method

In a frying pan sprayed with Fry Light, cook the onion, pepper, garlic, ginger & chilli until soft.
Add the cumin, turmeric, curry powder & coriander, cook for 2 minutes with the lid on, then add the chicken, tomatoes & sweetener, cook for 10 mins. Make up stock with the stockpot + the water & add the tomato puree to the pan, mix well. Reduce the heat when boiling, simmer for 10 mins then add the peanut butter, mix well and continue to simmer for another 10 mins.
Serve with rice & side salad, sprinkle coriander if required.

Peanut Curry-2 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
Back