Pete's Recipe Book

Pete’s Leek Lasagne
(Based on the Hairy Bikers “skinny beef lasagne”)
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 Knorr “rich beef” stockpot+ 300g hot water for stock
1tbsp tomato puree (s) (sff)
1 handful of dried oregano
2 onions, (s) (sff)
2 bay leaves
2 large leeks (s) (sff)
2 celery sticks, finely chopped (s) (sff)
2 carrots (s) (sff)
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced (sff)
1tbsp cornflower (3.5 syns/4=0.8syn per person)
150g button mushrooms, quartered (s) (sff)
180g reduced fat cheddar (4 Hea/4= 1Hea)
375 skimmed milk (1Hea)
400g tomatoes (s) (sff)
500g lean beef mince (ff)
Grated nutmeg
Salt & Pepper

Method

Slice the leeks halfway through, to the centre, cut the ends saving for later, cook for 5 mins or until they are soft, remove and chill, open out & dry on a kitchen towel, set aside.
Pre heat the oven at 200c.In a large pan cook the beef, any remaining leeks, chopped onion, garlic, carrot & celery. Cook for 10 mins, add mushrooms, and cook for 5 mins more. Add the beef stock, tomatoes, puree & oregano. Add 1 bay leaf. Season well with lots of pepper, Simmer for 20-30 mins, until the liquid has been cooked out, remove the bay leaf & disregard.
In a bowl mix the cornflower with 3tbsp of the milk, to a smooth paste. Cut 1 onion into quarters & place in a saucepan with a bay leaf, & bring to a simmer for 3 mins, remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 10 mins. Remove the onion & bay leaf, discard, reheat & add the remaining milk, cornflower & 1tbsp of the cheese, mix well and heat until thickened, season with the nutmeg, salt & pepper.
In an oven-proof dish add the mince mix to cover the base, add a layer of the leek “sheets” then repeat until the dish is full, finish with a leek layer, pour the white sauce over then add the cheese, cook at 200c for 30 mins until bubbling and the cheese has melted.

View attachment 60697View attachment 60698

Hi Pete, what beef mince do you use? - I usually use Tesco Extra Lean Beef Steak Mince, but it's 1 syn per 100gr

Hi, sorry to be a pain but how "spicy" is the peanutbutter curry? I'm sadly the kind of person who's maximum spice limit is chicken Korma and lots of milk if I'm daring enough to go for chicken tikka :D

Hi Tesam2931.
I use Sainsbury's "extra Lean Beef mince" It's Free .

Hi Chazzdiver.
leave the chilli out and try only 1tsp of the magras curry for starters, it's hard to specify how hot a curry is as everyone has a different "hot" level, best to start low and taste, add more if required!
We had it for dinner today and the chilli we used was a lot hotter than usual!
Pete

Thanks Pete, I'll try that then. :) I don't know where you get some of these ideas from but so far they've been great. We love the Xmas soup, althouh the piggy in blankets seem out of place in it so those are sides now, and the tomato soup was gorgeous. Hmmm... Feeling hungry now hehe. Off to make more soup, thanks again

Hi Tesam2931.
I use Sainsbury's "extra Lean Beef mince" It's Free .

Hi Chazzdiver.
leave the chilli out and try only 1tsp of the magras curry for starters, it's hard to specify how hot a curry is as everyone has a different "hot" level, best to start low and taste, add more if required!
We had it for dinner today and the chilli we used was a lot hotter than usual!
Pete

Thanks Pete, I'll give that a try

Thank you so much Pete, I will be trying come of these recipes. I found Britmum's recipes online and have made loads of her recipes, she is an inspiration as are you. Were you always a foodie or have you become more interested since starting your diet?

Hi Boedaccia.
Welcome to SW and this forum, do you go to SW in this area, if so were? I have visited several groups in the last two weeks.
Enjoy the recipes!
Pete

Pete’s Diet Coke Pork

Serves 2

Ingredients

1 tbsp. Worcester sauce
1x 330g can of Diet Coke
1 tbsp. sweetener
1 Cup of frozen peas (ff)
2 Pork Lions (ff)
4 Medium potatoes cut into wedges (ff)
6 tbsp. passata (s) (sff)

Method

Put all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil, reduce to a high simmer, stir from time to time until the sauce starts to thicken (can take up to 25-30 mins). In the meantime cook the pork lions in a griddle pan turning over from time to time until cooked, remove & place in an oven-proof dish with a wire rack inside. Pour the sauce on one side & place in a hot oven (180c) until the sauce is bubbling, remove from the oven, turn over and using the remaining sauce, coat the other side & return to the oven until done.
In the meantime cut the potatoes into wedges, par-boil for 5 mins, remove, dry, spray with Fry Light & add your favourite seasoning and place in the hot oven for 25-30 mins.
Place the peas in a small pan, pour boiling water over and cook for 5 mins only.
When every item is cooked, plate up.

Diet Coke Sauce (Small).JPG

Hey pete, you are an inspiration.. I Am fairly new to SW and next week will be the first "taster night" I have experienced. I would like to take something along, but am not sure what. It needs to be easy to transport (cos I walk there - 40 mins) and I was thinking that savoury would be good, rather than sweet ( i imagine that most folks take something sweet? ) any bright ideas for me - you are the oracle. Lol

Hi Toddleo.
How about Vegetable Samosa's?

Pete’s Vegetable Samosas

Veg Samosas (makes 36 )(1syn each)

1/2tsp garam masala
1/2tsp chilli powder
1/2tsp turmeric
1/2tsp cumin
1/2tsp hot madras curry powder
1/2tsp garlic salt
1tsp Amchoor powder
1tsp ground coriander
1 onion, finely chopped
6 Jus Rol Filo pastry sheets (each sheet is 6 syns but is cut into 6=1 syn)
4 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked & mashed
110g frozen peas
1 red chilli, deseeded & chopped

Method

In a microwave cook the peas for 5 mins, set aside. In a frying pan sprayed with Fry Light cook the curry powder, Amchoor, chilli powder, turmeric, cumin, curry powder, garlic salt, coriander, onion, potatoes & peas and stir-fry for 5 mins.
Remove from the heat and add the red chilli, garam masala, season well and set aside.
Heat the oven to 180c, line a baking tray with baking parchment. Working quickly, place six Filo sheets on top of each other and cut in half, then cut each half into three strips lengthways giving you 36 pieces, lay out and spray with Fry Light, place a spoonful of the mixture at the bottom of the strip and fold diagonally to enclose the ingredients and form a triangle, press down and fold again until you reach the end, seal the edge down with a pastry brush dipped in water. Repeat until all 36 are made.

Place on a tray and spray with Fry Light and bake for 12-13 mins or until golden in colour, serve warm or reheat if possible.
(I will find the pics tomorrow morning when I get on my main computer)

Thanks for these recipes Pete, definitely going to try the peanut curry x

Veg. Samosas

Here are the veg. Samosas as promised!

Filo-1 (Small).JPGFilo-3 (Small).JPGFilo-4 (Small).JPGFilo-5 (Small).JPGFilo-6 (Small).JPG

1st pic shows an apple version of the samasas! otherwise exactly the same way of making.....

hi Pete your recipes are fab and I can't wait to try the peanut curry I just have 1 question is the peanut butter is syned for reduced fat or full fat please?

Hi Jem.
I use Sun-Pat original Crunchy which is full fat I believe, 4.5 syn per 1 tbsp per person!

bilsat said:
Hi Toddleo.
How about Vegetable Samosa's?

Pete's Vegetable Samosas

Veg Samosas (makes 36 )(1syn each)

1/2tsp garam masala
1/2tsp chilli powder
1/2tsp turmeric
1/2tsp cumin
1/2tsp hot madras curry powder
1/2tsp garlic salt
1tsp Amchoor powder
1tsp ground coriander
1 onion, finely chopped
6 Jus Rol Filo pastry sheets (each sheet is 6 syns but is cut into 6=1 syn)
4 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked & mashed
110g frozen peas
1 red chilli, deseeded & chopped

Method

In a microwave cook the peas for 5 mins, set aside. In a frying pan sprayed with Fry Light cook the curry powder, Amchoor, chilli powder, turmeric, cumin, curry powder, garlic salt, coriander, onion, potatoes & peas and stir-fry for 5 mins.
Remove from the heat and add the red chilli, garam masala, season well and set aside.
Heat the oven to 180c, line a baking tray with baking parchment. Working quickly, place six Filo sheets on top of each other and cut in half, then cut each half into three strips lengthways giving you 36 pieces, lay out and spray with Fry Light, place a spoonful of the mixture at the bottom of the strip and fold diagonally to enclose the ingredients and form a triangle, press down and fold again until you reach the end, seal the edge down with a pastry brush dipped in water. Repeat until all 36 are made.

Place on a tray and spray with Fry Light and bake for 12-13 mins or until golden in colour, serve warm or reheat if possible.
(I will find the pics tomorrow morning when I get on my main computer)

Mmm, I need to give these a bash, I luurrvve samosas

Back