Pete's Recipe Book

Welcome to SW & mini mins!
I always write a weekly menu & only buy ingredients for those meals, that way you don't "cheat"
I also keep a weekly diary so you can see where a problem came from.
As regards the recipes, just try the ones you like & fit in with your ingredients, you can change any veg to suit what you have in the house.
If you change a recipe & it's better, tell us, we all like to try something different,
Take a PIC of yourself so when you reach your target you can compere yourself.
Most people don't have a PIC of themselves before starting & later regret it.
Good luck.
Pete

Pete’s Traditional Kedgeree (2013)

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 Onion, finely sliced (s) (sff)
1 lemon, sliced into wedges (ss) (sff)
1 tsp Coriander
1 tsp Turmeric
2 Bay leaves
2 tsp Curry powder
4 fresh boiled eggs (ff)
300g Long grain rice (ff)
300g Smoked haddock fillet, with skin on (ff)
330mL Skimmed milk (1Hea/4=0.25 syn per person)
600g water
Handful of chopped parsley
Handful of chopped coriander
S & P

Method

In a large saucepan, sprayed with frylight, add the onions, herbs & spices, cook until soft. Add the rice & water, season, bring to the boil then reduce the heat & simmer for 10 mins, drain in a sieve & cover, place it on top of the saucepan & steam for 10 mins.
In the meantime, in a frying pan, place the haddock, bay leaves & the milk. Poach for 10 mins, remove from the milk, remove the skin & flake the fish, check & remove any remaining bones. Boil the eggs for 4-5 mins then run under cold water to stop the cooking, peel & cut into quarters, mix the fish, eggs & rice, season to taste, serve while hot with a lemon wedge.

Kedgeree (Small).JPG

Kedgeree looks great Pete, will be giving that a go. I made your 'Yuk Sung' for dinner last night and it was lovely. The only thing i changed
was to use a stock cube instead of a stockpot (as its what i had in at the time) and i had some fresh beansprouts so added a handfull 5 mins before
the end of cooking, i found they added a nice crunch. I also thought that having it with the salad was really nice as it gave a freshness to the dish.
I made enough for 2 so got some for another meal aswel :)

Hi Kitty7 & Autumnbabe.
Thanks for your comments, glad you enjoyed the recipes!
Pete

Just made the scan bran carrot cake, sitting on the cooling tray as we speak smells great will let you know the taste later

Tried you Meatballs in tomato Sauce last night and it was AMAZ-BALLS!!!!! Honestly it was sooooo good I kept a bit for my lunch today :D having the Piri Piri chicken tonight and if it tastes half as good as last night then its a keeper in my recipe folder, thank you so so much!!!!!!!

Pete’s Carrot & Ginger Scan Bran cake (2013)

(Based on a SW recipe. 8 ½ syns for the whole cake)

Serves 8

Ingredients

1 tsp Allspice
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 Carrots, finely grated (s) (sff)
2 tsp Ground ginger
3 Fresh eggs (ff)
5 Scan bran (1 Heb)
5 tbsp. Sweetener
25g Stem ginger, finely chopped

Method

Break the scan bran into pieces, place in a mixing bowl, pour boiling water over them, and allow soaking for 1 minute, Mash together then draining any excess water.
Blend the scan bran with the carrot, sweetener, ginger, allspice, cinnamon & stem ginger.
Break the eggs into 2 bowls, separating the whites, add the yokes to the mix, whisk the whites until it forms peaks, and carefully fold into the mix with gentle actions so as not to lose the air in them.
Place into a microwave proof dish (I used a 23cm silicon one). Microwave for 15 mins (600w microwave) adjust time to suit wattage of microwave, cook until a metal skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake, remove from the cooking dish, place on a rack & allow to cool.
Cut into 8 pieces, making each slice, just over 1 syn each.

Scan Bran Ginger cake-2 (Small).JPG

Does anyone know if you use 5 scan Bran in a cake do you have to syn it? If so what is the value or do you call it 6 syn instead of a Heb?

bilsat said:
Does anyone know if you use 5 scan Bran in a cake do you have to syn it? If so what is the value or do you call it 6 syn instead of a Heb?

I have definitely been to groups where they have talked about scan bran cake as free as part of your HEA. That said I've seen posts on here talking about it not being allowed as it's changing the use from a main meal to a snack... Personally, given where you are, I would use it and count it as a HEB.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I buy my spices from a small Asian shop, they have a better selection and cheaper!

Pete I have just made your peanut curry for dinner and it was absolutely divine!!! I honestly could have poured it out of a foil tub and had my husband believing it was a takeaway. Thank you! You have changed my opinion of homemade curries. Yum!

Liz
X

Back