Plans for maintenance

CF18

Live long and prosper
I've been giving a lot of thought to how I will maintain my weight loss after Cambridge. I've lost a substantial amount of weight in the past, only to gain back almost all of it over a few years. But I really want this one to stick.

I've never tried limiting my carbs before, but this diet has made me realize how much sugar I used to eat, and it's shocking to realize that my sugar cravings are completely gone! I am almost as oblivious to the sweets around me now as a nonsmoker would be to an open pack of cigarettes, and I'm starting to understand that sugar is probably the root cause of my struggle with overeating. Not to mention, my mom was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, so now I know it's in my genetic makeup.

Have you all given much thought to how you will maintain your weight loss? Have you started to discover the underlying reasons for your struggle?

I think for me 5:2 is a great option, I like the idea I don't have to worry too much (within reason) about what I'm having 5 days a week, I also plan to use cambridge products for the odd meal here and there to keep cals down - for those times when thinking of something to have is just too much effort.

It's a scary thought, since same as you I find sugar highly addictive, I only realised this recently, I went off plan and gained myself a chocolate, ice cream and biscuit addiction on holiday, and after getting back.... I was never really into that before I started it, so I just don't get it, but I have demonstrated to myself how bad and how off the rails I can be. Not great.

But I like to think the incentive of keeping a nice figure will help keep me on track (hopefully)

I was reading up on the 5:2 diet the other day, definitely going to try that as part of my maintenance. I'be managed to build up quite a stock of spares so I'm thinking of using some of the products on those days to keep the calories down and nutrition up :)

Another count for 5:2 here! My major problem was Coca Cola addiction, but I think I've kicked that habit now. I was a serial convenience food eater, but just before I started the diet I got into batch cooking, and I'm looking forward to becoming more efficient and imaginative in the kitchen once Cambridge is over. In the absence of being able to buy food, I've invested a little money each week into general cookery, whether that's buying a recipe book or a decent baking tray, to motivate me to prepare my own meals in future. So for me I think lifelong maintenance will involve better nutritional awareness (and I've seen an NHS dietitian to talk about this), more home-cooked meals, choosing water over Coke (I would drink approximately 5 litres a day... it was hardcore) and exercising a lot more will be essential. I've always liked sports but over the past few years but too heavy and ashamed to do them. It's nice to feel the mental and physical barrier slowly lifting.

I bought the book on amazon this week .... Was less than £3! That's my reading ready for maintenance in October :)

Back