Plumfoodie's diary and ramblings

Food today has all gone a bit wrong. Husband tried to be nice and pack me a lunch but it was a TINY lunch (120 calories) and so I wound up having to buy a sandwich at work. As sandwiches go it was not a bad choice but it used up quite a few calories for the day. Then we had to go grocery shopping after work unexpectedly (I would have taken an extra small snack if this had been planned) and now I am in the middle of a serious hypoglycemic grumpiness fit. So I don't even know what we're having for dinner yet but it is definitely going to have to put my calories over the limit for the day. Not the end of the world but I don't like to do that so close to my weigh-in day (Thursday).

Breakfast: fruity porridge with almonds

Lunch: green salad with quorn fillet, and a hummus, carrot and alfalfa sprout sandwich on wheat-free sourdough rye bread

Snack: cocoa orange Nakd bar

Dinner: ... ? we bought some wheat-free chickpea pasta and reduced fat sausages so likely will do some kind of sausage/tomato sauce for the pasta. Don't know, and as long as I get something to eat before I kill someone I don't really care. ;)

Edit: No longer feeling like a stroppy toddler who might faint, having eaten something (hypoglycemia is really scary sometimes)...

Yup, sausagey pasta for dinner, and a bit of lowfat cottage cheese beforehand as my stomach felt like it was eating itself. So many calories today! But is about what my 'maintenance' calories would be at this weight, so am at least hoping it doesn't set me back too much for Thursday. We'll see!

Last edited:
Ugh@hypoglycemic grumpiness fit. It's not fun at all and you feel so out of control as well, don't you? Hopefully the dinner sorted that one out and hopefully your OH is still alive :D

The lunch looked very healthy and so does the rest of the day - maybe you will be very close to your target calories?

Hehe Ashie see my edit, you nailed it in one. It really does freak me out, it's like I'm a whole other person but some small part of my head can see that it's all gone a bit wrong. Luckily everyone in my house has survived. ;)

The lunch was quite healthy I think, just too much food. I should have just had half the sandwich after my salad, and had the other half in the afternoon instead of my Nakd bar. Then I could have had the bar and prevented all the woe! Heh!

I hear you on that one Plum! It's amazing how when the blood sugar hits low, we become totally different uncontrolble things. I think your food sounds really good for today. It was really nice thought by your guy to pack you lunch. I know they try to be nice and helpful, but sometimes they mess up >_<

I get the same way when I'm hungry. I've always been that way. If I get hungry I'm a scarey monster. My OH hates me hungry, so he's my feeder lol. I get sick at times too if I go too long without eating, my hands start to shake, and I get really irritated, and by then if I eat I feel sick for the rest of the day. I was told it might be hypoglycemic by friends ever since I was a teenager, but I don't have diabetes. I used to always have to keep something in my purse back when I was skinny. It's not as bad now as a big girl, I guess I have more of me to survive off of.

I don't think your food was too bad. Doesn't the fact that we can go off the wall when our sugars go through the floor just prove how appropriate a GL diet is for maintaining sugar levels through the day. I'll get the most massive headache and be oh so contrary when I am overhungry!! Not nice at all!!

When you feel all funny when you haven't eaten, you're actually not hypoglycaemic (your body's incredibly efficient at maintaining a decent sugar level. Even diabetics only become hypoglycaemic because of the medicine they take, not because of the diabetes), but it's actually due to your body releasing adrenaline as a stress response - that's what makes you feel all shaky,nauseous, irritable etc. Just thought I'd clear up a popular myth : )

Thank you Ruth :) It makes a lot of sense now. I never understood how if I didn't have diabetes, people would say I was hypoglycemic. I guess I was just going through hunger rages then hehehe :)

Well, now we know! :D

However I will probably still use the term in its colloquial form just because I reckon people will look at me funny if I say to them "don't mind me, I don't hate you and I am unlikely to actually punch you. I'm just in the middle of an adrenaline crisis right now, but I'll be fine after a bit of cheese and a biscuit.". Heehee! Although it might be worth it just to see the reaction! :D

(Although I don't understand why I don't react like that in other situations that produce adrenaline, like the house catching on fire. Mysterious things, bodies.)

An exciting day for the Plum storecupboard, last night we went to our nearest Waitrose (which isn't really very near at all) and I was able to snag a whole load of nice seed mixes (to add to porridge, yoghurts etc) plus dried fruits either unsweetened or sweetened with apple juice if they're very tart, and so on. Then today my latest Goodness Direct order arrived with a nice big bag of jumbo rolled oats, rolled quinoa, and other goodies. Instead of putting them away I feel like lining them all up on the table and just grinning at them for awhile! Silly Plum! :D

Food today has been fairly unexceptional, really. Earlier in the week I had lost about a pound since last week, but it's crept up again a little bit yesterday and today (after the calorie debaucle yesterday I'm in no way surprised), so I'm not crossing my fingers too much for weigh-in tomorrow. I usually try to eat a lighter dinner Wednesday nights in the somewhat foolish hope that this might help. ;)

Breakfast: turkey/tomato scrambled eggs, plus a little oat scone (from the freezer)

Lunch: a salad of lentils, green beans, olives, light feta, tomato and radish

Afternoon snack: mini babybel light with oatcakes

Evening snack: Easiyo with a plum and some AllBran

Dinner: greek-style salmon, with spinach, carrots and courgettes on the side and a little bit of quinoa. plus a naughty tiny chocolate bar!

Sigh. My scale batteries are going. This morning I had a feeling something was up and so weighed myself several times (usually the weights will all be quite close) and there was a range that spanned about 1 1/2 lb. :-/

We don't have a shop nearby to nip out for new batteries (it would be an hour before I got back with them and I really need breakfast now) so I'm going to weigh in tomorrow instead. Bit annoyed tbh but hey ho. It was at least a bit of excitement to see the lower number briefly. ;)

Ah bummer on the scales!!!! I can just imagine how annoying it is.
I loved the image of you lovingly admiring all your healthy purchases. I've had a similar feeling when I've stocked up a months supply of flageolet, chick pea, cannelini, haricot, broad beans etc. All items that never graced my shelves until I embraced GL.

Booooo bad scale! I hate when it runs low on batteries. They're usually not easy to find either those little thin wafer batteries.

Plum, I'm the same way. Two days before weigh in I'm trying to be very strict, hoping that it will show up on the scale. But the funny thing is it worked this week. Lost a whole pound between monday and tuesday, and it's stayed off too.

I was the same with you guys. When I first bought all those yummy good foods, I left them on the kitchen table for a couple of days just admiring them.

Yesterday I noticed that another grocery store here is starting have more healthy items. They now carry tricolor quinoa, barely rice(for subing rice), huge bags of pumpkin seeds, the list goes on. I was so happy that I have another place to go to for my healthy foods :)

In a fit of "I must knooow!" I ran out for some batteries (fortunately it just takes AA). And STS. Heh. I'm not too worried but if I'm lighter tomorrow I might be a little bit miffed! :D

Last edited:
Congrats on STS! Like I say it's better to have sts then see the scale go + weight :)

That's great that your scale takes AA batteries. Mine takes those little thin ones, and they were a journey to find.

Thanks Cali! TBH it is not a huge surprise especially after Tuesday all went a bit wrong, as you say I'm just glad it's not a gain. :)

Ooh really excited, husband and I have taken next week off work and unbeknownst to him I have just booked a surprise day trip to London and tickets to see Jersey Boys (about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, for those who remember them).

I always feel a bit bad that I go to Cyprus twice a year to see my mom and he can't come with me (we can't both be away from home at the same time without a lot of difficulty, we have a problematic cat with health troubles and it's very hard to get someone willing and able to look after him) and so I wanted him to have a nice time away too even if it is only for one day.

I have also planned places for lunch and dinner that he will like and I'll be 100% honest now and say that if there's something GI friendly that I fancy, I'll eat it, but if there isn't, I'll pick something else and enjoy that too. :D

Ohhh that's very nice of you! I'm sure he'll be really happy.

Well you are going somewhere special, a day of being naughty isn't too bad. You gotta enjoy the local foods:) I know if I went somewhere special I would have to enjoy myself.

I'm already planning to sin like it's vegas on x-mas. I'm going to bake sweet potato pie, and there's no way I'm not taking a piece of a pie I baked. Ok, it sounds bad that I'm already planning to mess up >_<

I don't look at it as messing up, Cali, I look at it as having a new healthy way of eating that allows for the odd occasion on which to enjoy less healthy foods. Who could resist homemade sweet potato pie, not me!!! Remember the 80/20 rule. :D

I suspect we will probably have a few more meals out next week to make it a bit more like a holiday. I reckon if we were going away somewhere for a week we'd eat out even more though!

Back