Plumfoodie's diary and ramblings

Plumfoodie said:
I don't look at it as messing up, Cali, I look at it as having a new healthy way of eating that allows for the odd occasion on which to enjoy less healthy foods. Who could resist homemade sweet potato pie, not me!!! Remember the 80/20 rule. :D

I suspect we will probably have a few more meals out next week to make it a bit more like a holiday. I reckon if we were going away somewhere for a week we'd eat out even more though!

Totally the right attitude!! GL is not about depriving yourself. Occasional treats are ok. It's giving up thats not allowed.
Well done on the STS. I'd cut back portion sizes just a little and see how you go.

Well, from one STS to another, well done. :p

Well, tonight has been very stressful. One of our cats had to be rushed to the emergency vet and undergo a lot of fairly obnoxious treatments to patch him up until he can see his regular vet in the morning. So evening food all went a bit wrong, but I don't really care. We have to stay up with the cat for the next couple of hours to give him more medicine (every 15 minutes, which he is just delighted about) so I might grab something more but at the moment I'm not hungry in the slightest.

Breakfast: blueberries, Easiyo, AllBran, and sunflower/pumpkin seeds

Lunch: fridge raider time again! cottage cheese, ham, tomatoes and oatcakes

Afternoon snack: pistachios

Evening snack (grabbed before stuffing the cat into the car): lowfat cheddar on rye toast

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your poor cat. I hope tomorrow brings better news. Fingers crossed all will be well for you.

:( Sorry to hear about your cat. I hope kitty and you will feel better soon.

Thanks everybody for the kind words, you are all lovely and they really helped me get through a tough day today. Our regular vet confirmed the diagnosis this morning and so we've just got to carry on the treatment and see how he gets on - it seems that the emergency vet gave us a worst-case prognosis whereas our vet thinks the chances are not bad that he may come out unscathed. He does seem to be improving a little bit today although getting he's fed up with his medicines already (which surely is a good sign he's feeling perkier), so I think things will look better after a good sleep tonight. I really appreciate all the good wishes. :)

Sooo... food today has been a bit all over the place. I've been a bit naughty, eaten some things I shouldn't and gone over my calories, but not as much as I was under them yesterday so I'm sure it will all balance out somehow. It hasn't been my top priority today (plus my schedule was all over the place) and I'll readily admit to eating a few naughty things just because I was feeling stressed! However I ate less naughty things than I would have in times past, so that must be an improvement.

Breakfast: (already the naughtiness begins) McDonald's brekkie

Lunch: Nakd bar (cashew cookie)

Snack: cottage cheese with pineapple

Dinner: Rick Gallop's express salmon pasta, M&S chicken pakora (basically spiced chicken bits, GI friendly I think), M&S individual bread and butter pudding (and again with the naughtiness!)

Glad to hear your kitty is doing better!

I think your food sounds good, especially for the circumstances you were in. Don't stress about the McDs, it'll burn away :)

Today has been a nice day. The cat is doing a bit better and so we were able to go out for the afternoon (more importantly leave him to sleep undisturbed, when we're home he gets upset about all the fun things he could be doing if he wasn't stuck indoors, but if we're out then he just snoozes which is good for him right now!). We met up with one of my best girlfriends, she's a lovely person who has stuck by me even when I was the rubbishest friend ever due to being unwell, and her little girl who will be two in October. Went on a steam train to a rare breeds farm where you can go in and stroke the animals, feed the chickens, etc. and all had a lovely time!

As we dropped them off home I briefly chatted with her mum who I haven't seen since Christmas. When we got back my friend called and said 'I just had to tell you, immediately after you left my mum said you looked fantastic, really well and healthy, and demanded to know how much weight you've lost'. Well, I don't get many compliments or comments and so that really made me smile. I hope that doesn't sound vain! It just made me feel like maybe the change is finally starting to be noticeable. And nice to hear that I looked well as a lot of the time I feel like I look exhausted and washed out! Nothing like an afternoon at a farm to give a bit of colour to the cheeks obviously! :D

Food was NOT on plan today, but it's awhile since I've enjoyed such a nice day out so I don't mind at all. :)

Breakfast: err.... sort of got into a muddle with cat meds and checking in with the vet and then deciding to go out... I'll have breakfast tomorrow, I promise.

Lunch: lasagne, salad (to be honest, a small pile of sad token salad, but at least no coleslaw), and a few chips. The lasagna was a bit greasy but had more meat than pasta and not too much cheese. I actually only wanted a few chips but the husband and friend kindly took care of the rest for me with a little bit of help from the toddler. I also had to eat a Pom Bear or two pressed on me by the toddler.

Snack: a plum pie thing (plums with a kind of crumble/crumb topping in a pastry case); I didn't eat the thick crust at the end or the clotted cream (!!!) that came with it. And some hot chocolate.

Snack: (no points for guessing at which point in this list we got home...) cottage cheese

Dinner: will pick something quick and GI friendly, probably something out of Rick Gallop's express book which is fast becoming my go-to when wanting something that can be made quickly with storecupboard ingredients

Sounds like you had a lovely day and how wonderful that you got a compliment :)

It's a bit hit and miss isn't it, when you are out and about, what you will end up eating? Good on you for not eating the clotted cream and the thick crust :D

I am so glad that your cat feels better, which helps with your stress levels too. Sometimes I wish I was a cat so I could sleep all afternoon ;)

That's really great that your friend's mom noticed :) I think that's what makes the whole dieting and losing weight so much more rewarding is when someone notices and says something. It really helps to push you towards the right goal. I don't think it sounds vain at all, you're allowed to enjoy the compliments you've worked so hard for :)

I'm glad to hear your kitty is doing better:)

Not eating at home, or meeting up with people can really throw the food off by a lot.

Thanks Ashie. :) If we'd been a bit more organised or planned ahead I may have tried to pack a few snacks but I don't think it turned out too badly. Of course, here in Devon turning down clotted cream is like treason and I do enjoy a little bit on rare occasions. It's high in fat but (I tell myself) at least it is low GI....... (it's the things you have it with that are full of sugar or flour!)

I would love to be a cat, nap all day and follow sunspots around the house. It would be bliss. I was so relieved this morning when he woke up and seemed to be a bit improved and feeling much better in himself. I've had him and his brother for 9 years, since they were tiny kittens, and they are both a huge part of our family and my life. It is awful when they're ill anyway but to know he was in quite a bit of pain this time was really dreadful so you're right, it is a tremendous reduction in stress to know that he's now much more comfortable. :)

Thank you Cali! :) I guess I am not very good at receiving compliments as I don't get them that often. I always appreciate them but haven't got the knack of gracefully receiving them that some people do!

If I were out and about more often then I would need to think more carefully about my choices in these situations but for me it is not that frequent and so I feel ok about loosening the reins. I think around the holidays I will have to be more strict with myself as December is usually full of meals out!

I'm way too easy on loosening the reins. But I hear you about December. It's a scarey month, with lots of eating, lots of get togethers, and a lot of very fattening foods. I'm going to have to be very careful that month.

Why does December have to have so many yummy foods and get togethers? >_<

I know! It would seem more fair to share out some of the December fun and excitement (and food!) with the other months, wouldn't it?

Yes.

Though there can be two out comes. Outcome 1) Too much yummies all year makes everyone bigger. Or Outcome 2) Too much of those December yummies becomes boring and dull that noone cares to eat them.

Hmm, it's a good point actually. I guess in outcome 2 we would all lose weight eventually as the yummies would be too boring to bother with, but it would maybe put a damper on the fun and excitement part of things. I suspect in my case outcome 1 would be far more likely! Back to the drawing board I guess! :D

Back